#19 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

Yes, thank you SG, I have coveted that one for quite a while :)

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#20 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

The best I have seen with a professional steam iron is one that has a remote steam source and is connected to the iron hand piece by a couple of hoses. It has the grunt, heat reserve and had a teflon base cover so you did not glaze the fabric being ironed. The heavy irons may be cute and traditional but if you want the performance and capacity to leave it on all day, the remote steam source types are the way to go.

#21 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

Blimey I wouldn't leave my iron all day. The steam chamber thing I have only takes 5 minutes to heat up with a full tank and that's enough time to get everything ready for pressing. It goes off when I'm done.

I think the trick is to do all the 'ironing' in larger batches using that iron. The smaller things (like opening a seam and the bits and pieces you need when making pockets) can be done with a dry iron or just a household iron. The latter doesn't under-perform on today's thin cloths. Maybe there is the issue of it being a little damp, but it's a minor problem. There's no way on earth I'm going to fork out for a vacuum table just for that.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#22 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

I have an old Sheldon boiler system and two different iron heads, heavy and heavier that I can change out if the need arises. The iron heads have a temperature control, and are connected to the boiler with steam hoses.
Once it is filled, it takes a little while to come up to pressure, (30psi) but can stay on all day 8-10 hours as long as the water level doesn't go down too low, which depends on how much pressing is done.
The downside is if the heating element goes, I don,t think anyone will fix it for me. Fingers crossed!

#23 frank.cawley

frank.cawley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

Thank you both. I dont need to worry about the iron heads as I already have two that I like and will just put one of those on. Being a girl, I have girl hands, big strong girl ones.

It sounds like there are no red flags about the brands or makes, which is good.

5 litres should be about right for me on most days, with the odd exception however 3 litres would not.

The Turkish ones are interesting. I would rather pay £50 more and have a shop that I can call for after sales service should I need. This is after the last month of trying to repair the old one and having such difficulty.

Looks like I have some thinking to do.

#24 frank.cawley

frank.cawley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

Hello Kerry
I know this is years later but I would definitely like to know what system you settled on and are using today. I am trying to decide on a system and could do with a strong recommendation.
Best regards
Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users