#1 A. A

A. A

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

hello guys

I am in need for some braces boxcloth, moire etc but I need them true bespoke because of thin frame I would need the main straps to be no more than 3/4" wide. I contacted the Thurston so-called" bespoke program and they said the only thing they can alter is the length. Nothing can be done about the width. Their moire braces are 1.25" and elastic ones can be 1" but I honestly do not want elastic.

So my question to you gents is, are there any bespoke braces / suspender makers in USA or UK? or anywhere else for that matter as long as it can be ordered via email/fax/phone. I am in NYC. I am about size 34-36R so need them short in length and width.

Kindly offer any suggestions either bespoke or RTW (if avialable in narrow width)

A.A

Edited by A. A, 12 March 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#2 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

A cobbler or harness maker could make you one or more. Some tailors might.

It is odd that Thurston won't.

#3 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:33 AM

I don't know Thurston. But, I do know that the ribbon and elastic used to make braces are only available in certain widths. I don't recall seeing a "stock" 3/4 inch ribbon. I know it can be made by special order. But, you'll need to order several cases (~10K m).

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#4 A. A

A. A

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

I don't know Thurston. But, I do know that the ribbon and elastic used to make braces are only available in certain widths. I don't recall seeing a "stock" 3/4 inch ribbon. I know it can be made by special order. But, you'll need to order several cases (~10K m).

well I was actually looking for box cloth as my first choice. I find it odd that 3/4" ribbon is not avialble. I can easily settle down for 1/2" or 5/8" also. I suspect the bigger difficulty will come from the metal sliders or adjusters to accomodate narrow width starps. Anyways, so thurston bespoke is really not bespoke at all.

I know john lobb will certainly make them but will charge like 500GBP for them maybe even more. I was looking for a less aristocratic option :)

#5 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

I didn't say it wasn't available. I said that ordering it in requires a minimum purchase. Maybe you haven't found the person who bought 10Km of what you're looking for, yet.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#6 Charles R Bingley

Charles R Bingley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Formal dress, academic dress, guqin and music, etc.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

The reason why AT is refusing to do them is because the metal adjusters (and ribbons) are made to a certain width which means that if you want thin ones they would have to order new metal adjusters/etc which would always carry a minimum order of, say 500-1000 or so, so it would be very uneconomical for them to do so just for one order unless you're willing to pay a massive surcharge or buy a few hundred braces.

The only other way is to not have the metal adjusters and therefore size it exactly to length (this would require an accurate measurement so that they are not too tight or too lose and unless all your trousers are made the same, you could only wear said braces for only that said trousers). This would require AT making a new design to create the attachments at the fronts which may carry a surcharge. The boxcloth can indeed be cut to width as well as the leather.

If, however, you can sew and have the stomach for it, you could make your own braces like in ye olde country farmhouse days (I know that Ruth Goodman off the BBC's Victorian Farm who made some for Peter Ginn).
Causam cedare non habet eo

#7 Charles R Bingley

Charles R Bingley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Formal dress, academic dress, guqin and music, etc.

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Or, get a metalsmith to make the adjusters, etc then send them to AT to cut the boxcloth and leather and make the braces.
Causam cedare non habet eo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users