#1 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hey,

I need a pattern for a denim jacket. Now it was my idea, to take a shirtpattern and so that I've just have tu adjust the collar, seams on the back an the front, and the pockets....

what do you mean? Can I do it this way???

Thanks for helping meeeeeee

Basti

#2 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

Based on a shirt pattern, you can easily make a shirt-jacket, such as a safari jacket for example, and why not make it in denim.

If you want something more like a Levi's jacket, well, it is feasible, but as there are several panels, it requires some work and skills in pattern-making.

Keep in mind that as denim cannot be iron worked, parts like the collar must be cut with good precision, and it is not just an oversize shirt collar. Good exercise, anyway ! :good:
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#3 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

Thank you for your fast reply.

My skills in patternmaking are quite well ;) I used to make them for a long time, also for jackets, trousers and coats the very classical way... so no problems with that ;)

But you are right, I've forgotten about the ironwork with a denimfabric... of course the denim will not keep the form that I will iron to it... hmmmm so it may would be much easier to construct this jacket with a flat collar... well... I think you are right, it will be a nice exercise :D

#4 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

The collar doesn't need to be flat. Your topcollar should be cut larger than your undercollar. The concept is the same regardless the material. The amount of overcut you add to the topcollar, however, is different because of the material.

You can make a denim coat from a shirt pattern. I'd probably tighten the armhole because shirt sleeves are much blousier than coat sleeves.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#5 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

The collar doesn't need to be flat. Your topcollar should be cut larger than your undercollar. The concept is the same regardless the material. The amount of overcut you add to the topcollar, however, is different because of the material.

You can make a denim coat from a shirt pattern. I'd probably tighten the armhole because shirt sleeves are much blousier than coat sleeves.

Thank you! Yes, I thought about the armhole, too. Although my shirtpatterns have tight armholes, because in my opinion, it gives a nicer touch of the whole silhouette, of course not too tight ;)

#6 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

my shirtpatterns have tight armholes

I like "clean" sleeves (another subjective term) on shirts, too.

I can't quantify how I would approach your project without a sketch to refer to. I need to see the proportions of the target garment so I can assess how it would differ from a proven shirt block.

The only guidance I can offer is: on my patterns, the scye of a shirt is cut deeper than I would want on a denim coat. I would make a new body to fit before drafting new sleeves and creating the style lines.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#7 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

I like "clean" sleeves (another subjective term) on shirts, too.

I can't quantify how I would approach your project without a sketch to refer to. I need to see the proportions of the target garment so I can assess how it would differ from a proven shirt block.

The only guidance I can offer is: on my patterns, the scye of a shirt is cut deeper than I would want on a denim coat. I would make a new body to fit before drafting new sleeves and creating the style lines.

Hey, sorry for my bad English knowledge.... for normal conversation it's ok but I will improve also talking fluently about tailoring!!! Promise! :D

And yes, I thought that it might would be easier to create a new pattern. I just was asking to save some work. But that doens't do good to it, because that going to end in a "somehowcutted" jacket.. dont like this way. I will take my old denim jacket from, I think it was Levis, and copy the pattern with my exact measurements.

#8 z.b.

z.b.

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:11 AM

I know there is a draft for one in Chaudhry's Advanced Practical Designing For Men's Clothing. I don't know how good it id though. Perhaps Sator can post it or send it to you.

#9 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

I know there is a draft for one in Chaudhry's Advanced Practical Designing For Men's Clothing. I don't know how good it id though. Perhaps Sator can post it or send it to you.

That would be absolutely faboulus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 hst

hst

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

interesting. I am currently in a project for shirt jacket. But I will be using a jacket pattern to make a shirt. Material used is 100% heavy cotton. Anyone have any other suggestion to input in the design? Will post photos when the shirt/jacket is ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users