Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Tailoring would be boring if we would not need to crack the nuts some other sorcerer-tailor refuse to tell us.
100 years ago the mother and the children were praying when father-tailor started to cut out the sleeves from the rest of the fabric...

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 27 September 2012 - 10:13 PM.

Schneidern heisst, viel Wissen, viel Arbeit und keine Kohle im Sack, dafuer aber viele Kunden, die alles besser wissen.  :Big Grin:

#56 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Actually, keeping secrets was necessary back in the days and even today.
All tailors have been through a tough apprenticeship (German saying: "Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre!"), so why would they give away knowledge that they have obtained for free?

Besides, if any tailor should run into problems I'm sure that a nearby colleague would be willing to help, as long as it's an open exchange of ideas.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

"Es gibt keinen Grund mit Erfahrung zu prahlen, denn man kann etwas auch viele Jahre falsch machen!"
"There is no reason to boast of your experience, because it's possible to do things wrong for a long time!"

#57 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

The secrecy of tailoring has brought many tailors in despair and finally into a mental facility if you cannot solve a certain problem and you do it again and again and it is getting dark already and still you cannot solve the problem. You see the other tailor went already to the mental process of solving your problem but won't tell you cause the other tailor also wants you to enjoy suffering and to go through the mental madness he went.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 29 September 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Schneidern heisst, viel Wissen, viel Arbeit und keine Kohle im Sack, dafuer aber viele Kunden, die alles besser wissen.  :Big Grin:

#58 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

The secrecy of tailoring has brought many tailors in despair and finally into a mental facility if you cannot solve a certain problem and you do it again and again and it is getting dark already and still you cannot solve the problem. You see the other tailor went already to the mental process of solving your problem but won't tell you cause the other tailor also wants you to enjoy suffering and to go through the mental madness he went.

I think it's ok to withhold a "secret" if you spend a lot of effort, time and money to find a solution for a problem that appeared again and again when you followed the old fashioned ways.

I'm sure the first craftsman who solved a common problem didn't get a lot of respect for doing so. The usual response by (usually the dumbest and most big talking) fellow craftspeople is "I've never had problems with that"! And that makes you look like an idiot, because you solved a problem noone else ever had! So, what do you do next time? You keep things to yourself!

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

"Es gibt keinen Grund mit Erfahrung zu prahlen, denn man kann etwas auch viele Jahre falsch machen!"
"There is no reason to boast of your experience, because it's possible to do things wrong for a long time!"

#59 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

The usual response by (usually the dumbest and most big talking) fellow craftspeople is "I've never had problems with that"! And that makes you look like an idiot.

That is so true!!!
But this is the result of being mentally ill. The tailor who says that went through complete madness in order to solve his problem. His lie: 'I have never had a problem with that is supposed to be to drive you crazy being an idiot, the tailor hands you over his mental madness so you can even enjoy your madness even more as an idiot, LOL.

I tell you: 'Tailors are not nice to each other!'

One experience tailors made is: that once you tell someone your secrets, the one will kick your ass somehow soon or later in whatever kind. I donít know why that is but it always happens. There is some psychology behind that.

#60 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

One experience tailors made is: that once you tell someone your secrets, the one will kick your ass somehow soon or later in whatever kind. I donít know why that is but it always happens. There is some psychology behind that.

Aaaaand we are way off topic, again!

It's not just tailors, you can find selfish, envious, narrow minded people everywhere.
Sadly, at least in my case, they end up being your superiors. The human mind is easily influenced and it doesn't care where the "You are so awesome!" comes from, others or yourself.

#61 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

A good instructor will teach well, but, since clothes change, they need to teach how to figure stuff out to keep up with the new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users