#37 Atgemis

Atgemis

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:cycling, eating, clothing

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

I at least had the decency, even at that tender age, to not be caught out in broad daylight :pinch:

(From a totally different blog) This was at NY Fashion Week.
Posted Image

This is one of those TREASURED photos that you will keep for years and years and every time one of your friends does something awkward you will make some reference to this photo. I just love how enthusiastic they look.

#38 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

And Greger who says there is still a market for body coats today... Here's your niche !
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#39 I.Brackley

I.Brackley

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:History, art theory, subculture anthropology

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:45 AM

And Greger who says there is still a market for body coats today... Here's your niche !

There's actually nothing facetious about that statment. Yes, the market for exotica like body coats is perhaps over represented in the artistic and subcultural demimonde. So who's to say that well-tailored clothes are not for them? I know you're not saying this, Nishijin and are just kidding but the important point is raised about what little is done these days to attract their buisness. Last I checked even money handed over from over-pierced freaks has Her Majesty's face on it (Commonwealth citizen here).
If chappy on the left had had more options I'm willing to bet he'd not have thrown his money at Hot Topic or Lip Service and given it to an artisan instead and gotten a real coat to wear with his leather trousers.

Edited by I.Brackley, 23 September 2010 - 03:46 AM.

"The possibilities that exist in the portrayal of personality constitute the strongest, and in fact the only unanswerable argument for the supremacy of Custom Tailoring"

-F.T. Croonborg, c. 1917

#40 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

I was actually just kidding. I do not think there are some people worthy of body coats, and spme who are not. If one of these people on the picture came to me and ask for a body coat, i'd delighted to make one for them... (well, not now, I don't have skills yet enough for body coats, but when I'm ready, it will be a pleasure).
It's just that I hope there is a place for this kind of garment outside of this specific market niche. I do not consider bodycoats to be exotica, and I do not want them being reduced to this status.

Mark Twain

#41 I.Brackley

I.Brackley

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

I was actually just kidding. I do not think there are some people worthy of body coats, and spme who are not. If one of these people on the picture came to me and ask for a body coat, i'd delighted to make one for them... (well, not now, I don't have skills yet enough for body coats, but when I'm ready, it will be a pleasure).
It's just that I hope there is a place for this kind of garment outside of this specific market niche. I do not consider bodycoats to be exotica, and I do not want them being reduced to this status.

"One of us!...one of..."

*ahem*

I think we are of similar mind on this with the exception that I, personally, do not consider exotica to be a reduction of status par se and would be perfectly happy if these garments could exist again in any (respectable) niche, no matter how small. Better a small corner of contemporary reality than the dustbin of history, no?

P.S. N- I wasn't accusing you of holding any sort of exclusionary opinon, quite the opposite. I'm not sure if this came off in my post or not.
What I meant was to credit you with raising the issue greggor had made elsewhere - that there is a lack of outreach towards a potential market.

Edited by I.Brackley, 23 September 2010 - 07:35 AM.

"The possibilities that exist in the portrayal of personality constitute the strongest, and in fact the only unanswerable argument for the supremacy of Custom Tailoring"

-F.T. Croonborg, c. 1917

#42 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Attached File  PC.jpg   61.53KB   45 downloads

#43 Lokar

Lokar

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Those trousers... my eyes!

#44 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Those trousers... my eyes!

All satin stripe no trouser.

Edited by Noble Savage, 31 December 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#45 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

An absolute shocker from Daniel Day Lewis. The colours don't go, the shoes are just unbelievably wrong, the red piping on the lapel is dull and towards crimson.... I hate this look.
Posted Image

Does't the piping match his shoes? He looks like a waiter. This is surprising because he apprenticed at a cobbler in Italy for a year.

He's still one of my favorite actors and one of the few who could get away with two earrings.

His wife's dress is the real disaster.

Edited by tailleuse, 31 December 2010 - 01:44 PM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#46 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

Attached File  1002090HT1281280.jpg   43.18KB   43 downloads

Notice the varying length of the button holes on the sleeve.

Edited by Noble Savage, 31 December 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#47 Charles R Bingley

Charles R Bingley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Formal dress, academic dress, guqin and music, etc.

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Attached File  1002090HT1281280.jpg   43.18KB   43 downloads

Notice the varying length of the button holes on the sleeve.

Is he wearing a hakama as well?! Seriously, either go for full national dress or the other; don't mix and match!
Causam cedare non habet eo

#48 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

Is he wearing a hakama as well?! Seriously, either go for full national dress or the other; don't mix and match!

It goes the other way as well. Modern formal hakama come in striped colours taken from morning dress trousers.

Edited by Noble Savage, 01 January 2011 - 02:33 AM.

#49 I.Brackley

I.Brackley

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

My thoughts exactly, the second I saw this picture. "Wait....are those....??...hakama??!!"

On a positive note, I do like the hollowed out lapels.

-F.T. Croonborg, c. 1917

#50 Charles R Bingley

Charles R Bingley

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Formal dress, academic dress, guqin and music, etc.

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

It goes the other way as well. Modern formal hakama come in striped colours taken from morning dress trousers.

Really? I thought it was traditional? Eitherway, this is probably an influence from the West that had been tastefully incoporated into the dress so there is logic behind it so not necessarily 'mixed bathing' in the sense I am talking about...
Causam cedare non habet eo

#51 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Really? I thought it was traditional? Eitherway, this is probably an influence from the West that had been tastefully incoporated into the dress so there is logic behind it so not necessarily 'mixed bathing' in the sense I am talking about...

It is traditional in the sense of being made "the thing to do" since the 1800s. The similarity in colour scheme to Western morning dress makes it more compatible at events where both may be worn.

Edited by Noble Savage, 02 January 2011 - 02:28 PM.

#52 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

During the Meiji and Taisho eras, the Japanese used to mix a lot japanese and european garments. Those combinations always looked strange to my eye, but I see no reason why Japanese could not decide how to wear their own traditional cloths.
And I would think that if they've been wearing those combinations for 150 years, we could call them "traditional" today. There are many sartorial "traditions" that are more recent than that...

Strangely, there are many "mixed bathing" with british ("mainstream") and local traditional garments in Europe, nobody says anything about that...

Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users