1 reply to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

This comes from Samuel Heath's book Coat and Skirt Making, 6th Ed, London 1981. When it first appeared, it received favourable reviews in The Cutter and Tailor. It has been out of print for about 30 years now. Second hand copies are generally not hard to find, but many of these are of older editions.

I have posted other chapters from this book before and was convinced that I had already posted this basic section on cutting and making a plain skirt. To my horror, I searched and came up empty handed. It is an excellent beginner's introduction to skirt making, as well as to tailoring in general and I should have shared it with members earlier. Those who have trouble following instructions in books will find home tutors and evening classes that will guide you.

There is also the thread on the Rundschau system for cutting skirts. This also contains information on how to draft for disproportionate figures. Beginners may want to consider trying the Rundschau system if there are disproportions that need accounting for.

Another book that should be read alongside this one is Cabrera's book, which contains information on making up skirts as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:52 AM

Thank you for this. Earlier today I posted a related query. I think I searched for "women's" and "sloper," but didn't come up with anything. I realize that this is a draft for a "block."

I'm also pleased to see that although my technical skills certainly can be improved, I'm familiar with most of the steps. I just have to develop a draft that fits and flatters me and sew it several times with different materials.

Edited by tailleuse, 16 November 2010 - 05:59 AM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users