Tailoring courses

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

It has been said many times on the forum that tailoring cannot be learned on-line. Many things have to be shown and practiced live, so a beginner wanting to learn tailoring must one day or another find himself someone to teach him.

Some find a tailor willing to take an apprentice. Another option is going to one of the few tailoring courses existing in the world.

This thread is intended to list some courses a beginner might be interested going to. I know myself very few of them, so please tell us about those you may know, I'll update the top post to keep the list the more exhaustive possible.

Caveat :
The fact that a tailoring course is not referenced here does not mean it is bad. It may very more probably mean we do not know about it !

England

Tailor and Cutter Academy

http://www.tailorand...ademy intro.htm

Offers an "online" training program, where the learner has some exercices to do, and exchange with teachers online, sending them his results for evaluation.

I know very little about it, and found no information on their website, so please tell us more if you know this program.

England / Fashion Tailoring Academy

http://www.fashion-t...-academy.co.uk/

Information given by member Baron Samedi :

The first course I did was bespoke men's trousers (cutting and making up including pattern drafting and measuring). I am currently learning cutting and making up of coats (Jackets). The courses are still in the early stages of development, but the teaching and teaching materials are second to none.

Most of the people on the course have done degrees at the London College of Fashion or Central St Martins, but have come to the F.T.A to actually learn proper tailoring techniques, and pattern drafting/measuring.

Am exceedingly happy with the course so far and enjoy the learning environment greatly. I am doing the evening course, however there are other courses which take place during the day. The courses are Bespoke/Couture tailoring and production.

France :

Association Formation Tailleur

http://www.formation...leur.com/1.aspx

A training program organised by the Fédération Française des Maîtres Tailleurs, as they saw all existing training program vanishing away.
This program needs no pre-requisite knowledge, they start from the very basics. The training is in Paris, and last one year (full time) or two years (part time). People are trained to make a coat until second fitting, which includes everything except setting the sleeves.
There is a more complete program, over two years, where trousers and waistcoat making are studied too, and the coat is made including sleeves. This two-years program is awarded with an official government-recognised diploma.

GRETA de la mode

http://greta-mode.sc...hp?NoFiche=1493

GRETA are public entities proposing professional training. This one has a short tailoring course, lasting 160h over 10 months (8h every monday except school holidays). Teaching is done by a professional tailor, and it is a good introdution to cutting tailoring. In my experience, there is not time enough to make a whole suit, but good learners can make a whole trousers and see his coat until second fitting, providing they work at home between lessons).
The curriculum of this course should evolve in 2010-2011, I'll update my info as soon as I know more.

Germany

Italy

USA
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#2 nsw

nsw

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

When I was in Cambridge earlier this summer I went into Tailor and Cutter to ask about their courses. The gentleman I spoke to said they were about to update their website and new details would be posted of what courses they were to run and when. Unfortunately they haven't yet done so, and really need to do so; their website is a shambles. Therefore it is probably best to phone them (01223 300677). I was most interested in learning those techniques which require one to one tuition, such as iron work, and that would be more than a little difficult with a correspondence course! When I am next in Cambridge I shall probably visit them again to ask if they could help me out.

The fitter was nice and helpful, and seemed enthusiastic that they would be teaching tailoring. Maybe the lack of a functioning website should not put off those interested.

Thanks for the helpful post Nishijin. All the best, NSW.

#3 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

You picked out some of the problems with Tailor and Cutter. I suppose the owner really doesn't know what he is doing. They maybe great teachers of the subjects, but business wise they are unresponsive. For handling email they have one person when they should have 3-4-5 or more as needed. If you email them a question will it take a week or a month? They have or had a newletter that was rather nice. It was small but informative, but way over priced. I would still get it if they were reasonalby priced and there would be many more buyers of it and they would be making way more money, so they lose. It was thrown together at the last minute every month, but still worth paying for if the right price.

There is give and take in any school. They are way cheaper than a university. I believe there tailoring class is a little cheaper than buying a SR bespoke suit. It is aimed at the beginner. After the class the beginner should pursue to work with real tailors. The cutting class is more. There classes have the latest English cutting systems. They, as they say, fly the bespoke flag and not something else (who knows what a university or some other school teaches). I think it is wiser for beginners to go to them or somewhere else than here for basic learning. Real schools are set up for real teaching. (Tailor and Cutters class room tailoring class goes to fast for most students, so I 've heard. The internet class is better for most students.) (I have mixed thoughts about T&C)

#4 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

I can't edit my first post, so I add this here. Will update first post ASAP.

England / Fashion Tailoring Academy

http://www.fashion-t...-academy.co.uk/

Information given by member Baron Samedi :

The first course I did was bespoke men's trousers (cutting and making up including pattern drafting and measuring). I am currently learning cutting and making up of coats (Jackets). The courses are still in the early stages of development, but the teaching and teaching materials are second to none.

Most of the people on the course have done degrees at the London College of Fashion or Central St Martins, but have come to the F.T.A to actually learn proper tailoring techniques, and pattern drafting/measuring.

Am exceedingly happy with the course so far and enjoy the learning environment greatly. I am doing the evening course, however there are other courses which take place during the day. The courses are Bespoke/Couture tailoring and production.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#5 gpn38

gpn38

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hello, I am a beginner student in a pattern drafting and draping course in Paris, France and I am looking for someone to work with one on one
each week during the academic year to really understand and become proficient in this. Can anyone provide a referral?

#6 Che Pasticcio

Che Pasticcio

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hello, I am a beginner student in a pattern drafting and draping course in Paris, France and I am looking for someone to work with one on one
each week during the academic year to really understand and become proficient in this. Can anyone provide a referral?

Are you at the school in Paris referred above? If so, can you tell us a little about it?

Has anyone else studied there? I'm curious about any schools in Italy as well.

#7 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Which school, gpn38?

I earned a BEP (which I don't think they offer any longer) from Paul Poiret. I think they require longer courses, now. I seem to remember that the diploma system was under renovation a few years ago.

Oh... and, I also spent 7 (or, 8 ) mos at Polimoda/BURGA in Florence. Didn't earn a certificate from them, though - I was just passing through.

Edited by jcsprowls, 04 December 2010 - 04:46 AM.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#8 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

Wait, the Tailor & Cutter Academy.. that's the one that's been around for over 100 years, is it not?

They fly the bespoke flag and not the "designers" flag. Their purpose is bespoke and not other types of clothing methods. Old or New that part hasn't changed. Somebody told me their cutting class is like rocket science.

#9 R.m.Bakker

R.m.Bakker

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke Tailoring, Patternmaking, Shirtmaking.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

You can add the Savile Row Academy to the list. The total tuition fee is about 10.000 pounds, but the course is modular after completing the foundation course; you can decide wether or not you want to do a certain module. Completing all grants you a certificate.

It is an initiative of Andrew Ramroop who was fed up with the way SRB(Savile Row Bespoke) was about to structure their own training programme. Andrew has been very adamant about NOT joining SRB because he believes the quality standards are not up to par with what Savile Row should stand for. He now launched, in addition to the academy his own trade-body: the Savile Row Alliance. Tailors from around the Savile Row area, but are not (anymore) located on Savile Row are elligible to join if they live up to the standards set by SRA. This means Edward Sexton and A.J Hewitt(Ravi Tailor) for example are included in the Alliance, while SRB would not allow them in just because "they were not on or within 100 yards of Savile Row".

As part of the program you can take up employment in any of the SRA firms to further hone your skills.

Andrew Ramroop himself teaches the 3 days/week of the course.

It was initially in the planning for me to enroll in the academy this year. However as you can imagine my financial situation didn't allow it. I only found out about it in late November 2010. I am now making good progress in saving up for the tuition fees and relocation costs and should have a comfortable savings account when I relocate to London in late 2012.

There is a 12 student limit which "will NOT be exceeded". Each semester is 2 years. Which means the next course will start in January of 2013.

Posting this in the hope more young people will apply for the course, we need this trade to survive!

I have included an excerpt from the course guide (2011-2012 course guide):

Foundation Course: Fees: £1,500

This module is offered three days a week for 12 weeks – 11th January to 31st March 2011

Students successfully completing the Foundation Module will be eligible to take up employment in the tailoring sector. Employers will then be encouraged to release students to undertake one or more of the advanced modules or students can opt to progress to any or all of the modules independently.

Trouser Making: Fees: £2,200

This module is offered for three days a week for 12 weeks – 12th April to 30th June 2011

Pattern Cutting: Fees: £3,000

This module is offered for three days a week for 10 weeks – 13th September to 17th November 2011.

Coat Making: Fees: £4,500

This module is offered for three days a week for 24 weeks – beginning 10th January 2012

Students successfully completing all four modules will be awarded a Master Craftsman Certificate from the Savile Row Academy.

In addition, students can submit their work to be assessed for the Levels 2 and 3 NVQ in Bespoke Cutting & Tailoring and the Level 3 Diploma in Fashion & Textiles validated by ABC Awards.

This whole programme will help you to identify and pursue realistic career objectives in the bespoke tailoring industry. It will develop your practical expertise in tailoring and will also develop your ability to work to the professional standards developed by Professor Andrew Ramroop – The Andrew Ramroop Training Standards (ARTS).

Course Content

Emphasis will be on the technical and practical processes involved in the hand production of tailored garments, including:

Extensive range of hand sewing skills
Using sewing machines and equipment

Under-pressing and shrinking
Constructing canvases

Making various styles of pockets
Block pattern construction

Making various trouser styles
Figuration
Waistcoat making
Laying
Jacket making
Cutting & Fitting
Constructing bastes
Workshop practice
Bespoke Patterns

Making-up operations
Materials

History of the industry
Health, Safety & Security at Work

Working relationships
Quality standards

As well as learning about practical bespoke tailoring, the course will develop your ability to work in a professional and commercial context – to be able to complete tasks to a high standard and a given deadline, to present yourself and your work well, to work with others in a team and to be reliable and self-motivated.

Bearing in mind that your intended future career will involve taking instructions from clients and managers and maintaining timesheets and records of costing, your communication and numeracy skills are very important and the development of these skills will be an integral and important part of the whole of the training programme.

Additionally, you will be encouraged to apply for entry to professional competitions such as the prestigious Golden Shears competition.

There is regular tutorial support and review of your progress and assessment feedback to encourage you and to help you to achieve your goal of employment in bespoke tailoring.

Course Delivery

Each module will be delivered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

There are a maximum number of 12 students for each module and this will NOT be exceeded.

Students will have access to the training spaces before and after each daily session for extra work, practice or private commissions.

In addition to the weekly course sessions timetabled in Savile Row, you may be able to spend further time working in select establishments that are part of the Savile Row Alliance, a group of tailoring companies supporting the Savile Row Academy in the development of its bespoke training programme.

The training programme will be delivered in customised training facilities at the premises of Maurice Sedwell Ltd.

Edited by R.m.Bakker, 04 May 2011 - 10:45 PM.

Owner at Tailored.

Experienced Bespoke Tailor, Bespoke Shirtmaker.

Check out my blog, and business, at:

http://www.rubenbakker.nl

#10 R.m.Bakker

R.m.Bakker

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke Tailoring, Patternmaking, Shirtmaking.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

please note that the tuition fees herein are for UK/EC Nationals. International tuition fees might be higher.

Owner at Tailored.

Experienced Bespoke Tailor, Bespoke Shirtmaker.

Check out my blog, and business, at:

http://www.rubenbakker.nl

#11 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

There is an italian school for students wanting to learn true bespoke tailoring. The school is run by maestro Gallo (former student of Angelo Litrico) and three of his tailors. Course load includes drafting patterns and creation of hand made suits from the sartoria tradition. There is only one machine in the whole school, lots of hand work. Learn or know Italian because the school is taught in only Italian. Draw back is courses are 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and organisation in minimal. Website www.cedaseurope.com

#12 Che Pasticcio

Che Pasticcio

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for the information, Youngsarto. Perhaps this is one of the best choices. I'm sure I would have to pay a tailor much more than 3000 euros a year as an apprentice.

I wonder what they mean by "i restanti € 2500,00 da dividere nell'arco dell'anno scolastico"? I'd like to find out how it's divided exactly. Grazie per la informazione.

I like that it's only 4 hours a day. That way I could have a job I could work any day I please.

Edited by Che Pasticcio, 24 May 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#13 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

The school can be divided up into payments throughout the year. From my experience the division is up to the payer, but the full amount must be paid 3 months before the end of the school year. Like I said organization is minimal but what you learn at the school is absolutely priceless. A word to the wise, you will not learn what is needed inorder to be a tailor if you only spend 4 hours a day on it.

#14 Franca

Franca

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:clothing patterns; sewing; reading; fitness, cad;

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Hi, in Italy there is also an academy that offers courses tailoring done by hand. It is situated in Chieti-Abruzzo where is the Brioni.
www.accademiamodaedesign.com

#15 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

I might offering German hardcore tailoring courses in Houston for tailoring the modern suit which sells today. 4 Weeks should be enough for an progressive apprentice to see how it goes and continue from there. The apprentice has to have some pattern experiences to understand foundations. I could teach 1 to 2 students one on one maximum better only one student. Free accommodation in my house 16h a day being busy with tailoring. 5000$ fee, making trousers, waist coat, sack. Teaching only in metric system like is thought in the American school system today. First I produce another semi traditional modern suit to check modern making with up-to-date German material. The new feather light fabric today can only be processed with modern material, like it is shown in Rundschau from 1969 - 1979.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#16 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

The Fashion Institute of Technology will offer an intensive Menswear Sewing course in July. It's a shirt making course using production methods.

http://www.fitnyc.edu/3094.asp

The following tailoring courses are currently on the Fall schedule. Some are technically open only to full-time students, but one can often get a waiver if the class isn't full and upon a demonstration of sufficient interest and background. The Fall term begins in late August/early September.

TAILORING TECHNIQUES - 26760 - FD 461 - 603

(Ladies Tailoring; I know nothing about this class.)

TAILORING I - 27211 - MW 143 - 15A

(I took this. Making up of a high-end pair of men's wool trousers; lots of hand work.)

TAILORING II - 27212 - MW 144 - 15A

(I plan to take this. Making up of a men's vest; I don't know if a jacket is covered, that may be a more advanced class.)

LADIES TAILORING I - 2566 - TL 111 - 15A

(I took this. Making up of two wool women's skirts; one with a lining and an invisible zipper, the other with a Hong Kong finish on the seams and a regular zipper).

LADIES TAILORING II - 26047 - TL 112 - 15A

(Vest? Jacket? I don't know.)

LADIES TAILORING IV - 27420 - TL 212 - 15A

(This is the last of the Ladies' Tailoring series. I believe they do a coat.)

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#17 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

I admire people who take courses, they show comitment whatever it cost.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#18 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

I admire people who take courses, they show comitment whatever it cost.

Often, there's no other way to get some background. As I've said before, for a New York State resident, FIT is pretty reasonable because of the in-state rate. You also get access to a lot of facilities and some discounts. The classes are too big, but it is what it is. Anyone considering taking a class at FIT should shoot me a PM and I'll provide whatever information I can about how to get the most out of it as an evening or weekend student.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users