36 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Forums cost money to run. However, they take up even more time and this is a more valuable asset than anything else.

If you see even a tiny scrap of information which you like here, please think of contributing. I don't ask you to contribute money. I only ask that you contribute even a second of your time, by sharing just a little drop of knowledge. It doesn't have to be something major. It can be a little tip for beginners only. It can just be a tiny comment about someone's posts like "this is an important point and I agree with this".

So please, if you see anything you like here, consider giving just a tiny bit back to the forum. Feel free to take what you like here, but it is nice when people also give back a little to keep the forum alive.

#2 NOBD

NOBD

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

This is an important point and I agree with this.

#3 Jill L.

Jill L.

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:fashion pattern design/drafting; sewing; time intensive cooking

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:57 AM

I am new to the forum. I have found it to be personally very valuable. I am particularly enjoying the A.A. Whife excerpts because he shares his insights and reasoning as well as technical method. Really good stuff. I have the Armstrong pattern drafting book and have been tooling away for years. This forum is a real gift and helps to open up my understanding. I hope to contribute more later.

Edited by Jill L., 11 November 2010 - 12:42 AM.

#4 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

Sator,
because of my insatiable appetite for tailoring, i scour the internet, books, magazines, newspapers and the like for any information on tailoring. What kind of information is looked for (in addition to what you mentioned above)? Are the contributions of apprentices welcomed? (I ask this because we, more than others, are the "takers" and because we are apprentices, are somewhat limited in what we can give). For instance, I wanted to post this, but didn't know if it was okay, since it pertains to custom shoe making. BTW, I'm not trying to hawk this book, but I know I couldn't be the only one interested in this craft.

LInk: http://www.shoemakin...0the%20book.htm

Edited by amateursarto, 10 November 2010 - 06:10 AM.

• lbedell likes this
AMATEURSARTO

#5 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

I guess this thread is mainly directed at those with experience they can share. However, it is also good for people of all levels to ask questions and share a little of what little new things they might have discovered.

The trouble is that about 25% of posts on the forum are by me. I feel constantly under pressure to keep the conversation up or else the party falls dead silent without me. It's very rare for a forum owner to have to post that much.

Nice things from technically able beginners (or anyone else) might include photo or video tutorials on how to thread mark, or even just how to sit when you are sewing.

Another thing for relative beginners and intermediate level tailors: sit down and write a list of little things you only wish you had known when you first started out. Little things are very important. Share these with us!

As for shoemaking, the reason I have renamed one forum the Outfitter's Forum is so that it can encompass shoemaking and hatmaking.

#6 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

I guess this thread is mainly directed at those with experience they can share. However, it is also good for people of all levels to ask questions and share a little of what little new things they might have discovered.

The trouble is that about 25% of posts on the forum are by me. I feel constantly under pressure to keep the conversation up or else the party falls dead silent without me. It's very rare for a forum owner to have to post that much.

Nice things from technically able beginners (or anyone else) might include photo or video tutorials on how to thread mark, or even just how to sit when you are sewing.

Another thing for relative beginners and intermediate level tailors: sit down and write a list of little things you only wish you had known when you first started out. Little things are very important. Share these with us!

As for shoemaking, the reason I have renamed one forum the Outfitter's Forum is so that it can encompass shoemaking and hatmaking.

I get it! And I often have wondered where would this place be without your posts, as well as SG, DZ, Terri, Jeffrey, JCS, TT, Jason, A Tailor, Mansie and a few others. I was telling SG in a pm that I hope someday to contribute more than I take away...
AMATEURSARTO

#7 zokiTzar

zokiTzar

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:painting, tailoring,photography and film

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:29 AM

thanks sator for running this forum it is great
I had an idea
as we have many experienced people here we should make a showcase thread or gallery area so we see on good pics what members are drafting and sewing
of course nothing to impeach on clients privacy
i managed to find some blogs from members , which i follow regularly but it would still be nice to have some photo material of their best or recent stuff to see?

#8 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

Forums cost money to run. However, they take up even more time and this is a more valuable asset than anything else.

If you see even a tiny scrap of information which you like here, please think of contributing. I don't ask you to contribute money. I only ask that you contribute even a second of your time, by sharing just a little drop of knowledge. It doesn't have to be something major. It can be a little tip for beginners only. It can just be a tiny comment about someone's posts like "this is an important point and I agree with this".

So please, if you see anything you like here, consider giving just a tiny bit back to the forum. Feel free to take what you like here, but it is nice when people also give back a little to keep the forum alive.

I told two ladies I met in Basel about you and your forum. One worked as a tailor (seamstress?) at Loewenzahn, a mens' clothing store, which I visited several months ago. http://loewenzahn-menswear.ch/about/ The other was German who began studying fashion at the art school http://www.fhnw.ch/hgk/imd. Perhaps your website is not known in these two areas of practice and school.

Edited by Naive Jr, 12 November 2010 - 05:47 AM.

Scribimus indocti doctique poemata passim

#9 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

True, comments are nice, but that doesn't solve the basic problem (at least I think it doesn't).
Because without subjects to comment on there will be no discussion.

Especially when you already have an exhausting day job it gets even more time consuming to put up interesting things with scans, let alone providing translations, too.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#10 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Perhaps your website is not known in these two areas of practice and school.

Thank you to anyone who takes the trouble to tell others about this forum.

Especially when you already have an exhausting day job it gets even more time consuming to put up interesting things with scans, let alone providing translations, too.

I have been feeling like this of late. For the last couple of 18 months, I have been forcing myself to post new material almost every day, often sacrificing my sleep to do it, but I am feeling a little burnt out. I had hoped that if I had a lot of quality content, eventually, it would attract members and I wouldn't have to post as much. This is why the appearance of new content has slowed down to once or twice a week.

I suspect that one of the troubles with a forum driven by professionals rather than by enthusiasts, is that most people don't want to go home and then continue their job at the keyboard.

That said, there is a huge backlog of content, so there is going to be plenty of interesting new stuff coming. For example, Posaune and I are working on a translation of the Rundschau ladies' coat system. This is taking many months, and we may not have it ready for a few months yet.

#11 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:10 AM

Sator,

I think we are at a checkpoint now on the forum.

"General public" fora are very crowded, and there is a lot of posts every day. Some of them are very difficult to follow as the traffic is so high.
But when you follow them for a time, you soon understand that there is very little really new topics. It's always the same stuff, repeated and repeated. There is a great turn-over in the members.

I consider C&T to be a professional-aimed forum first. When there are 12 active topics on the same day, it's too much, I don't have time to read them, as it takes much more time to read, think and digest it. It's not a chat to let out steam.
So 1 "big new topic" per week is fine indeed. I have myself a good backlog of stuff I'd like to publish, but I simply don't have the time. I don't even have the time to publish stuff on my own website. You put yourself under too much pressure.

Well, it doesn't mean either that we can't contribute to the forum, publishing things. And I wonder if you publishing less would not be incitative to other to publish more (less time spend reading your wonderfull stuff means more time to make our own :Big Grin: ).
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#12 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:01 AM

Sator, I think Nishijin has made a good point. The quality of a occupationally-oriented forum is not necessarily indicated by traffic volume (especially an occupation that doesn't have a large number of members). And honestly, I wouldn't want to continue my day-job at the keyboard to any large extent, so I'm extremely grateful to anyone in the industry who contributes.

You're contributing a lot, and it probably seams, er, seems that your posts go out into a void sometimes. Some is easily absorbed, but I probably take as long to understand the technical articles as you do to translate them! Adding in your and others' information into garments takes a long time too, possibly over several iterations. I'm managing to get in 20 hours per week of sewing (the equivalent of a single pair of trousers, say). If one thing epitomises delayed gratification, it's tailoring!

I'll make more of an effort to document my own work and seek advice on here so that you and other knowledgable members gain satisfaction in seeing the fruits of your time and tuition. And I'd welcome reading any other people's similar threads - learning vicariously saves a lot of time. There are a few blogs out there by experienced tailors - perhaps they could publish some similar material here, in duplicate to their blog, so as to facilitate dialogue?

^ So come on fellow novices, post some work and get some feedback! (You'll know when you've finally made it when DZS gives you a bit of praise :Big Grin: )

#13 ct3d

ct3d

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have been feeling like this of late. For the last couple of 18 months, I have been forcing myself to post new material almost every day, often sacrificing my sleep to do it, but I am feeling a little burnt out. I had hoped that if I had a lot of quality content, eventually, it would attract members and I wouldn't have to post as much. This is why the appearance of new content has slowed down to once or twice a week.

Which is still a lot to take in. So I agree with others - you're driving yourself too much.

Since this forum is aimed at professionals and I am just a lowly home sewer, frankly, I feel rather intimidated saying anything here. And I don't intimidate easily. In addition, several threads mention that the amateurs should stay out of it since they have no clue, anyway (that's how it feels to me, not how it is phrased in those threads). Doesn't make for a lively discussion, though.

#14 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:19 PM

Since this forum is aimed at professionals and I am just a lowly home sewer, frankly, I feel rather intimidated saying anything here. And I don't intimidate easily. In addition, several threads mention that the amateurs should stay out of it since they have no clue, anyway (that's how it feels to me, not how it is phrased in those threads). Doesn't make for a lively discussion, though.

I don't think anyone has been that intimidating (at least I hope not :unsure: ). I do think that when home sewers come up with very amateur ways of doing things and thinking, it does make the pros cringe, and this probably gives the impression of a certain animosity towards home sewers.

Originally, the forum was set up to be more welcoming of home sewers. As time when by, it became apparent that people wanted to keep the discussion at a professional standard, because there are already plenty of home sewing fora and blogs out there. The pros regard this place as a bit of relief.

Next, some of the home sewers turned out to be from the Cosplay and Steam Punk type of background. These come from the home sewing background, and really don't fit into this place.

I should say another thing that has been said before: there is no real dividing line between professional and amateur tailoring, except that the professional way involves much more hard work - plus time, skill and effort. What (I think!) people want are members who are willing to make that effort and commitment to learning serious tailoring. It doesn't matter if they are in business or not. This has become a part of defining identity of the place.

Of course, I want to be warm and welcoming, encouraging learners to ask questions so they can learn. On the other hand, I feel I am expected to keep the standards here well up to minimum professional standard. You have no idea how difficult that is.

I have learned over time to read between the lines of the more senior pros here whenever a new amateur posts. I can tell within a couple of posts whether they would offer them a job interview if they applied for a position.

#15 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

I should say another thing that has been said before: there is no real dividing line between professional and amateur tailoring, except that the professional way involves much more hard work - plus time, skill and effort. What (I think!) people want are members who are willing to make that effort and commitment to learning serious tailoring. It doesn't matter if they are in business or not. This has become a part of defining identity of the place.

Of course, I want to be warm and welcoming, encouraging learners to ask questions so they can learn. On the other hand, I feel I am expected to keep the standards here well up to minimum professional standard. You have no idea how difficult that is.

I have learned over time to read between the lines of the more senior pros here whenever a new amateur posts. I can tell within a couple of posts whether they would offer them a job interview if they applied for a position.

Your activity here on this website brings you insight and helps you develop new abilities - which presupposes that you are mentally fit. If you "burn out", this condition will not be satisfied, and your insights and abilities will be of another aspect.
Scribimus indocti doctique poemata passim

#16 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

Sator, there is much here to read and think about. I don't need something new every day to read. If you pace yourself every three days that is plenty fast. If somebody else post something then you can hold off a couple of days or more to post something new. Sleeping isn't dead - it's getting ready for action.

#17 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

In an effort to keep this forum devoted to house keeping issues, I have split off the digression into learning how to cut and sew into a new topic, as it has outgrown the original subject of this thread!

http://www.cutterand...?showtopic=1739

Hope that doesn't dampen the conversation. Carry on :)

#18 el_guanche

el_guanche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hey at all,

especially to Sator.

I really would like to add or better share with you some construction instructions and a very interesting article from the Rundschau from the 50th and 60th. I also would translate them directly into English. But what's about copyright!? Can I publish it without having the angst to get caught by the police? HAHAHAHAH If not, I would start directly.

So long
Basti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users