4 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

Indeed, why not? It is commonly found in women's tailoring, but in this article Whife ask why a man's lounge not also be panelled to achieve a cleaner fit?

Posted Image

The chest dart at shoulder seam can naturally be enlarged to accomodate more athletic chests.

#2 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Here is an excellent example of how a panelled sports coat might look very elegant and stylish:

Posted Image

The cut has been made to look perfectly masculine. I also like the belted back and the patch pockets. I even like the fact that it is a button-four coat. There are concealed pockets in the panel seams and there are pleats at the back. I think the back panels are body coat styled with a side body.

Here are examples of what not to do:

Posted Image

Posted Image

In some ways, the clean fit permitted in part by the panelled construction is superb. Overall there is too much else going on. I like vertical pockets, especially when partly concealed in the panel seams, but I prefer these be at the chest level to replace the chest pocket(s) rather than being at the sides. Add in the eccentric lapels, the excessively visible button placement, and the 1970s type of upholstery styled cloth in the first one, and it is all way too much. It looks rather effeminate in a '70s way - it seems too much like something borrowed from the ladies' wardrobe. It is enough to put you off the idea of a men's panelled jacket for life, but the problems lie more in the general styling features rather than in the panel construction per se.

#3 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

It is not right for desings with pattern. But it is right in cutting.
The women have a big bust dart and the men a small one. But with the men we displace the dart with the revers.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 16 March 2010 - 12:12 PM.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#4 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

This deserves a little bump.

Note that many Norfolk style jackets permit you to conceal a panel seam at the front like this:

Posted Image

#5 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

In this article from T&C, there is some discussion on adding in curved panel seams to a lounge draft:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users