Photo

Question for the male customer (and the tailors)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#37 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

You best best be looking for a new job. It sounds they are about to go belly up.

#38 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

Only my funeral suit.

You can make yourself one before you die! That way you make sure you go in your style!
Nice side effect will be the puzzled archaeologists should they dig your skeleton and suit remains out... :Big Grin:

They spent like 100.000 Euro for that print media alone. Try to do the math. How many suits would we have to sell to get that sort of money back in?

A lot.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#39 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

SG, i feel your pain, it must be frustrating being in your position. How old are these decision makers?
The large engineering company's that i have worked for had youngsters fresh out of university making decisions at a high level with disastrous results. I dont know about Germany, but in the UK, kids are coming out of school barely literate, and the ones that do go to university are taking courses which mean absolutely nothing in the real world, yet, on the back of the degree they obtain they somehow get employed straight into decision making positions and chaos ensues. These so called graduates are no better educated than we were and we left school to start work at fifteen.
Its not looking good, until someone gets a grip on your company.

#40 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

SG, i feel your pain, it must be frustrating being in your position. How old are these decision makers?
The large engineering company's that i have worked for had youngsters fresh out of university making decisions at a high level with disastrous results. I dont know about Germany, but in the UK, kids are coming out of school barely literate, and the ones that do go to university are taking courses which mean absolutely nothing in the real world, yet, on the back of the degree they obtain they somehow get employed straight into decision making positions and chaos ensues. These so called graduates are no better educated than we were and we left school to start work at fifteen.
Its not looking good, until someone gets a grip on your company.

You are partially right, some of the people in charge have almost no clue what it takes to make a sale in the real world. Or how to improve a pattern that is anything but flattering. Their age is between mid 30's and 60, so they should have at least some experience.
The combination of several deficiencies makes this kind of a really bad thing.
The person in charge of the fabrics is a so called "Dipl. Ingenieur für Bekleidung" (a clothing engineer), but based on her choices I would doubt that she knows much about fabrics or tailoring per se.
The man who is in charge of quality control and the link between us and the subcontractor is another clothing engineer who is incapable of creating a modern shirt pattern that actually fits.
My superior is a master dressmaker who apparently has not much experience with men's tailoring and pattern making and her biggest concern is the width of the lapels and how to please her superiors. And she has an issue with admitting a mistake. Which is why we still have our low tables...
The CEO's wear suits measured by her and they look terrible, a fact that has been noticed by others outside our company or the tailoring trade.
The marketing people take their "knowledge" from magazines that deal mostly with MTM and luxury items and they steal some of their ideas from bespoke tailoring companies websites. A few of the images from the new print media are more or less exact copies from other fashion or tailoring magazines.
They wanted to use a picture of me with my Wilkinson shears cutting some cloth, but given the fact that I had the right to object to the use of such pictures I did so. I would not want any customer to think that I'm responsible for cutting his suit. Plus I had a bad feeling to agree to an unlimited use of the pictures in future publications.
It's not the best way to find out what your new department chief is really like. If that's how things are played in large corporations it's no wonder so many go down the drains. Seriously, how do you motivate an employee when you question his or her motivation? You only increase pressure, stress and people get sick and/ or become unproductive.

The really sad part is that those bad decision influence the future and life of so many other people. I'm not saying that we are going to loose our jobs, but replacing zippers in outdoor jackets or shortening trousers is not exactly tailoring.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

#41 hymo

hymo

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Berater = Consultant

#42 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

Oh and one more thing, i would rather common sense over a degree any day of the week. Common sense seems to be diminishing as fast as the tailoring trade, and i will bet that is the main ingredient missing from your decision makers.

#43 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Jukes : never forget that commons sense is the commonest thing in the world. Everyone they they have some.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#44 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Jukes : never forget that commons sense is the commonest thing in the world. Everyone they they have some.

You will be surprised how many people do not have one bit of common sense.

#45 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:09 AM

Argh... I missed my joke ! It was : "everyone think they have some".
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#46 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

Today I heard that we have become a separate section within the company. Which means that we are responsible for our own profit and well-being.

Which basically means that we are likely to be shut down at the end of the year for lack of success.

The MTM was a sort of love child to the former owner of the company, and I already mentioned that it was an image thing, showing competence (no comments on that please... :spiteful: ) as a men's outfitter.
Ever since the old man is no longer that active in the company a lot of things have changed, several departments have been blown up (like e-commerce and tech- support/ networking), while others have to suffer from extreme cuts and huge pressure and stress (packaging).
What used to be a stronghold of the company, the customer service, has suffered from a decrease of quality and efficiency.
With the new concepts we are slowly but steadily becoming like all the other, huge companies that got into trouble because of bad management and went the way of the dodo.

BTW, the options for pockets won't be changed. My superior was responsible for the planning and since she won't admit she did something wrong we will be selling 2 pockets.
Watch out for a new trend... :Big Grin:

#47 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Only my funeral suit.

I remember a lady customer who ordered a suit for her late husband to be buried in. She ordered an extra pair of trousers becouse, 'her husband always had two pair of trousers' she said. :rolleyes:

#48 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Berater = Consultant

That's it! if the consultants are in the firm is going down the drain. I have seen it happen twice before.

All they produce are A4 folders with their new findings, all management get a copy (which they cannot make head nor tail of)they glance through it once and it ends up on a shelf somewhere.

Within the year your company is gone.

Am I being too synical?

#49 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Oh and one more thing, i would rather common sense over a degree any day of the week. Common sense seems to be diminishing as fast as the tailoring trade, and i will bet that is the main ingredient missing from your decision makers.

Common sense is now called - Health and safety and Political Correctness!

#50 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

When the consultants arrive, it means management have finally realised they don't know what they are doing.

#51 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:35 AM

No, hymo got it wrong.

The "Berater" is in fact a printed medium that contains pictures of the fabrics ( :tease: ) and the type of garments we have to offer. That's why I called it "advisor"!
Given that most of the information regarding the qualities and properties of those super thin fabrics are not only widely exaggerated, but sometimes just wrong, it's mostly advertising information taken from the related weavers website.
In fact several of the fabrics (Loro Piana Super 130's Wool and silk with a weight of 175gr) are so thin that a careful viewer might spot (intended or not) a pimple on the wearers butt cheek. Or worse.

When the consultants arrive, it means management have finally realised they don't know what they are doing.

Nice one! :LMAO: I like the ambiguity of it!

Still, I think that sometimes an outside view of things can help. Often people within the company can't see the forest for the trees. The question is if the decision makers are wise enough to see the value (or folly) in the new advise!

#52 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

If you get to talk to these consultants tell them what you would like the company to make and how. If you tell them what you think they are doing wrong, then you have wasted a grand opportunity.

#53 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

OK, a little update here!

1) There won't be any changes to the detail options.

2) We don't want the difficult figures any more. Given the nature of our new fabrics and the make quality of our garments that makes sense. The "challenge" will be to attract those customers who have a decent figure and could buy anywhere else, and for lower prices. Most MTM sellers offer a similar weight range like we do now.

3) Although they still have the "Maßarbeit" term in that Maßberater print media, they have apparently skipped the idea of openly using it in our main shop (see # 2). Which makes me think that the point I made about using that term and creating high expectations (along with attracting customers with difficult figures) was actually considered. In the past we had quite a lot of those customers causing huge amounts of work due to their terribly difficult figure (very round back, super slope of the shoulders, massive belly and such). We actually spent (and wasted) time and money to make those garments fit. From what I heard so far, other MTM sellers offer only minor alterations like lengths and widths.

4) Despite their claim that MTM is very important to the company I kind of doubt it. We moved into our new sales point today and the whole thing was terribly planned. No lights above the fabrics (80% of them are dark colours), no proper lights in the two fitting rooms (which look like prison cells with their mid grey/ light grey wall paints) plus a few minor things like the ugly row of air condition vents in the ceiling that goes right through that area. And it still puzzles me what cheap plastic bonsai trees as decoration have to do with suits...

#54 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:14 AM

In the olden days when paper patterns were used some of these mtm companies had patterns for all major shapes and sizes so minor changes could be made. The computer software for making patterns clearly is not up to the task, and looks like a failure. Your company is a waste of time, because it is going backwards, even for mtm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users