6 replies to this topic

#1 carpu65

carpu65

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

I don't like particularly the braces; not with a single breasted without waistcoat,
and i hate that the buckle of the belt is glimpsed under the buttoned coat.
I have always liked the adjustable waistband (unfortunately very rare in Italian fashion and bespoke).
I like the cleanness and neatness of this solution.
I have read that one of best adjustable waistband was the so called "Daks Tops:

trousers featured something known as ‘Daks tops’, invented by Simpsons of Piccadilly.
With Daks tops the waist is adjusted by button-tabs on each side, and these tabs are connected to an elastic band that runs through a tunnel around the back of the waist. With these tabs the waist can fit very precisely, and the elastic allows adjustment throughout the days as the waist expands and contracts.

Posted Image

Seems that Anthony Sinclair did the "Daks tops" for his trousers:

Posted Image

And seems that today Daks tops are optional by Henry Poole

I happened to be wearing a pair when I went to be measured up at Poole and they said, "Right. Daks-back trousers, turnups, pleats . . ." I had to slow them down since I wanted the second pair of trousers on a different model. That suit's still in progress, but clearly Poole can do Daks backs.

http://thelondonloun...opic.php?t=6083

How is make a Daks tops waistband?
how you realise this if a customer ask?
And are others good adjustable waistbands that works better then a belt?
Any pattern? :hi:

Edited by carpu65, 21 April 2011 - 10:10 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

The ones I have seen have a tunnelled waistband. Then there is a piece of elastic, which is sewn in either at the rear or the front.
Where that additional band is visible it's covered with the trousers' fabric.
It works like a hidden side adjuster.

Something similar to this:

Posted Image
  • tailleuse, jeffrey2117 and like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#3 carpu65

carpu65

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:21 AM

1-But this system work well?

2-Others adjustable waistband systems?

#4 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:30 AM

Apologies for raising this topic from the dead, but I have been searching for the name of the waistband that appears to have no visible belt loops, adjusters, or buttons. It seemed common in the 70s. I assume it too is adjustable as they seemed to be worn quite tightly. Does anyone know the name of this sort of waistband?

#5 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

Apologies for raising this topic from the dead, but I have been searching for the name of the waistband that appears to have no visible belt loops, adjusters, or buttons. It seemed common in the 70s. I assume it too is adjustable as they seemed to be worn quite tightly. Does anyone know the name of this sort of waistband?

Hello Ballmouse,

The trousers you seem to be describing may be the ones that had a Sansabelt waistband, these are a style that was very popular in the 70's and 80's. 

The trousers I am thinking of were for casual wear and had wider waistband with no loops and sansabelt elastic waistband and were usually worn a bit tighter at the waist.  These were favored by mostly older gentlemen at the time, usually in their 50's through 80's from my experience with the customer base.  

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#6 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:33 AM

I searched for images and it looks like this was what I was looking for! Thanks a million!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to make this sort of waistband? I would love to request a tailor to make them in this sort of way for a cleaner look.

#7 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

Hello Ballmouse,

Below is a link from Ebay that has an example of a more modern sansabelt trousers.  I believe that trousers in the past looked very much like these, but also had either rubberized beading that would help hold your shirt in place. 

An example of what I mean would be made by snugtex.  I have also seen some examples with waist gripper tabs inside, not sure if these were added later at an alterations shop or came ready made. 

Regards

Jeffrey2117

http://www.ebay.com/...MgAAOSwwbdWLrza

• Schneiderfrei likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users