#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

I'm going to come right out and say it: I wasn't that impressed by Kate Middleton's Wedding Dress. I found it beautiful but rather uninteresting. I'm tired of reading how "bold" it was because it has sleeves.

Posted ImageI would like to see some detail photos, however, as I keep reading about the work by the Royal Needlework Society.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

I agree, where did the $434,000.00 go?
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

I actually really liked it. A thumbs up from me, also for the lack of ostentatiousness.

#4 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

For me the dress is absolutely right and nice. The price is high for the name like you go and have a suit made by Henry.
  • jeffrey2117 and ChiTownTailor like this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#5 eboli

eboli

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:bespoke tailoring

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

I found it beautiful but rather uninteresting.

Me, too. It went well with her usual, slightly boring dressing style.
But Pippa Middleton, wasn't she hot?
Posted Image
When it comes to royal weddings, my all time favorite is Norway's crown princess.
Posted Image
That's radical chic. Clean, puristic.
Addendum: Two examples of british humour within the royal family :LMAO::
Posted Image

Edited by eboli, 30 April 2011 - 03:35 PM.

• Maggie Bob likes this
www.barbaraboll.com

#6 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

For me the dress is absolutely right and nice. The price is high for the name like you go and have a suit made by Henry.

Agreed, I thought the dress was perfect for the occasion.

• ChiTownTailor likes this

#7 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

Me, too. It went well with her usual, slightly boring dressing style.
But Pippa Middleton, wasn't she hot?
Posted Image
When it comes to royal weddings, my all time favorite is Norway's crown princess.
Posted Image
That's radical chic. Clean, puristic.
Addendum: Two examples of british humour within the royal family :LMAO::
Posted Image

I'm sure Jason enjoyed the curvaceous brunette in the blue-ish dress on the left! :drool:

The wedding dress of the now Duchess of Cambridge was fine, but a bit over-hyped. I'm sure it would not have gotten that attention when worn by somebody less prominent. At least the designer of that dress will experience a major boost, especially from US customers.

BTW, seeing that poor guard in his coat: Since when do they wear a RTW cut?

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#8 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Actually I enjoyed Pippa from behind hehehe

All in yes Kates dress was nice, fairly simple and understated compared to Royal weddings
of the past, but they were ripped off on the price of that dress. Seriously, to hell with
tailoring I want to make high-end wedding dresses :D
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#9 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

The price tag for the wedding dress is questionable, i doubt any money changed hands for that dress. Whichever designer won this commission was going to make
a fortune off the back of this dress alone.

#10 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

I actually really liked it. A thumbs up from me, also for the lack of ostentatiousness.

There's definitely that. She looked very beautiful, as did her sister. That's really all that matters.

• Maggie Bob likes this

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

The price tag for the wedding dress is questionable, i doubt any money changed hands for that dress. Whichever designer won this commission was going to make
a fortune off the back of this dress alone.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how would that work? How many people are going to run out commission a $30K (maybe a lot more with all that hand work) from Sarah Burton? Or do you mean that it will be lucrative from the p.o.v. of general licensing? Does Alexander McQueen have perfumes, bags, etc.?

I do not doubt that the name recognition of having designed a dress like that would be valuable in some way. But how would it be monetized?

#12 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I'm sure Jason enjoyed the curvaceous brunette in the blue-ish dress on the left! :drool:

The wedding dress of the now Duchess of Cambridge was fine, but a bit over-hyped. I'm sure it would not have gotten that attention when worn by somebody less prominent. At least the designer of that dress will experience a major boost, especially from US customers.

BTW, seeing that poor guard in his coat: Since when do they wear a RTW cut?

The blue dress is Vivienne Westwood. It's worn by Princess Eugenie of York. I've never been a huge fan of VW.

#13 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how would that work? How many people are going to run out commission a $30K (maybe a lot more with all that hand work) from Sarah Burton? Or do you mean that it will be lucrative from the p.o.v. of general licensing? Does Alexander McQueen have perfumes, bags, etc.?

I do not doubt that the name recognition of having designed a dress like that would be valuable in some way. But how would it be monetized?

Probably given as a wedding present.

#14 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:haute couture

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'm sure somebody paid for it. The Queen always paid at Hardy Amies and the Queen Mother pd. at Hartnell.

I'm anxious to see some up close details. The skirt fabric looks like a silk with a jacquard weave. This would give it weight as well as very subtle pattern.

Look at the bodice neckline --about across chest, The lace scallops from above and below curve in to make a horizontal. This would have created shaping and left a hole between the two on the neckline. It has been filled in by an additional scallop. I'm sure the lace was cut apart and sewn back together to hid all the seams and darts. This isn't difficult, but it takes time.

At the outset, all seamlines would be thread traced --similar to what you do in tailoring sometimes after tacking. The dress would be basted together for a fitting. Then laid flat to see some sections. Then it would be machine stitched in some areas and basted in others for the next fitting. The lace and the silks would be expensive if they were specially made, but a large part of the cost would be the labor.
  • tailleuse likes this

Claire Shaeffer

Author, Couture Sewing Techniques

claire.shaeffer@gmail.com

www.sewfari.org

#15 eboli

eboli

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:bespoke tailoring

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

The blue dress is Vivienne Westwood. It's worn by Princess Eugenie of York. I've never been a huge fan of VW.

Well, I've always adored Vivienne's work, so I simply think that Eugenie never should had chosen it.
When it comes to taste, both of the sisters seem to be on the weeker side. Think of Beatrice' ridiculous hat or that strange coat neck details.
Maybe that cinderella's-stepsisters' appearance was some kind of protest. Who knows.....

Edited by eboli, 03 May 2011 - 03:39 PM.

www.barbaraboll.com

#16 marie6176

marie6176

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:SEWING, TAILORING, IMPROVING MY SKILLS IN SIMILAR FIELDS,HEIRLOOM SEWING, VINTAGE SEWING

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I'm anxious to see some up close details. The skirt fabric looks like a silk with a jacquard weave. This would give it weight as well as very subtle pattern.

Look at the bodice neckline --about across chest, The lace scallops from above and below curve in to make a horizontal. This would have created shaping and left a hole between the two on the neckline. It has been filled in by an additional scallop. I'm sure the lace was cut apart and sewn back together to hid all the seams and darts. This isn't difficult, but it takes time.

At the outset, all seamlines would be thread traced --similar to what you do in tailoring sometimes after tacking. The dress would be basted together for a fitting. Then laid flat to see some sections. Then it would be machine stitched in some areas and basted in others for the next fitting. The lace and the silks would be expensive if they were specially made, but a large part of the cost would be the labor.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Photos Glamourparis
The French company Sophie Hallette made the lace for the dress. Solstiss,another renowned French company provided the lace for the veil. Both of these companies are settled in Caudry a small town near Calais worl famous for its lace.

In an interview she gave to the local Newspaper "La Voix du Nord", Sophie Hallette's sales manager Maud Lescroart explains that the lace pattern used for the dress is known under Ref 950 264. This pattern has not been made to order. It is a classic made since 1960 with the traditional Leavers loom. It is one of the 2000 references made by the company.
Sarah Burton staff made a tremenous patckworklike masterpiece cutting, reassembling and embroidering the original lace to give it it's final aspect. It was like a jigsaw using 2000 pieces.

More about this in French here

Video
http://www.2424actu.fr/actualite-culturelle/apres-la-crise-la-robe-de-kate-confirme-l-embellie-de-la-dentelle-de-calais-2526132/#read-2511093

Edited by marie6176, 05 May 2011 - 02:22 AM.

• jeffrey2117 likes this
Marie-NoŽlle LAFOSSE
Visit My Website

#17 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Photos Glamourparis
The French company Sophie Hallette made the lace for the dress. Solstiss,another renowned French company provided the lace for the veil. Both of these companies are settled in Caudry a small town near Calais worl famous for its lace.

In an interview she gave to the local Newspaper "La Voix du Nord", Sophie Hallette's sales manager Maud Lescroart explains that the lace pattern used for the dress is known under Ref 950 264. This pattern has not been made to order. It is a classic made since 1960 with the traditional Leavers loom. It is one of the 2000 references made by the company.
Sarah Burton staff made a tremenous patckworklike masterpiece cutting, reassembling and embroidering the original lace to give it it's final aspect. It was like a jigsaw using 2000 pieces.

More about this in French here

Video
http://www.2424actu.fr/actualite-culturelle/apres-la-crise-la-robe-de-kate-confirme-l-embellie-de-la-dentelle-de-calais-2526132/#read-2511093

Interesting.The Royal Wedding website said that some Chantilly lace was used but talked a lot about the Carrickmacross Irish lace.

#18 Ciseaux

Ciseaux

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Posted Image

When I saw Kate's dress last year it reminded me of the bodice style from the Princess Grace of Monaco dress.
  • jeffrey2117 and DanMartin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users