#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

The Today Show, an American morning program based in New York, had a short piece on bespoke tailoring, pegged to the Royal Wedding.

http://today.msnbc.m...700298#42700298

But I prefer you not to sneeze.
Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

It's funny that some people think that morning dress is British and that Americans wouldn't have a clue about what it is, and would have to have it explained to them. The following photos are all American:

For a start, here is John F Kennedy and his marriage to Jacqueline Bouvier:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This next one comes from the 1960s (unidentified couple):

Posted Image

This the marriage of Babe Paley and Stanley Mortimer in 1940:

Posted Image

Karen Carpenter and Thomas Burris:

Posted Image

So let nobody tell you that it is "traditional" for American grooms to wear "Tuxedos" to weddings in broad daylight, as though they were waiters. What nonsense!
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

"Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

#3 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

And in recent TV shows : Friends, Ross Gellar wedding (OK, the scene is in England...) :
Posted Image
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#4 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

And in recent TV shows : Friends, Ross Gellar wedding (OK, the scene is in England...) :
Posted Image

The first examples you gave were "High Society." Its members tend to be anglophiles and/or familiar with British culture (Jos. Kennedy Sr. was the U.S. Ambassador to the Court of St. James). So I'm not surprised that some of them would be pictured wearing morning coats.

Edited by tailleuse, 30 April 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:06 AM

Posted Image

What do you think of David Beckham? I read he's wearing custom Ralph Lauren.

#6 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

Beckham looks good. Better than his wife, actually, whose dress looks too bloated for my tastes, and there is not enough contrast against her man (the man wears dark colours to act as a background for his lady).
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

#7 Kerry

Kerry

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

What do you think of David Beckham? I read he's wearing custom Ralph Lauren.

I saw this last night, is that a dart in the skirt extending down to his hip? Posted Image And a crease following it?Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

I'm with TT on this one. if that is a hip dart it was poorly executed. Then again, it very well might be a pocket perhaps?

Anyway the worse dress I seen was this one, I had to take a screen shot.

Posted Image

Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time to show all the flaws. But this morning coat shoulders hung over the sleeves like
overhangs, no fit. The waist coat is more of a style that would be more suited to a three piece and hung off this chap like
a potato sack being at least 2-3 sizes to big. He looked more like a little boy walking around in his fathers clothes than
a member of the affluent, gentry or peerage that was represented there.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#9 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

I'm with TT on this one. if that is a hip dart it was poorly executed. Then again, it very well might be a pocket perhaps?

Anyway the worse dress I seen was this one, I had to take a screen shot.

Posted Image

Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time to show all the flaws. But this morning coat shoulders hung over the sleeves like
overhangs, no fit. The waist coat is more of a style that would be more suited to a three piece and hung off this chap like
a potato sack being at least 2-3 sizes to big. He looked more like a little boy walking around in his fathers clothes than
a member of the affluent, gentry or peerage that was represented there.

Not exactly sure what you mean here but, some tailors extend the shoulders on narrow shouldered people to give that first glance that his body proportions are correct. This is nothing new among tailors and has been done for decades. The picture above and his shoulders could have been extended as far as reasonably possible. I've seen further. First impressions really matter. Second impressions are different.

#10 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Well screen shots are not the most reliable things on a live feed. You could see how ill
fitting this was when he was outside about to come in. Never the less, prior to this particular
shot in the light he looked quite dishevelled.

Edited by J. Maclochlainn, 30 April 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#11 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

Here's another common problem that you sometimes see:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think that Prince Albert of Monaco's morning coat doesn't have enough cutaway and is too bellied. It makes the wearer look bellied too.

The coat would have been a lot more slimming and elongating if you cut away the skirt a bit more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The main thing is that the lapels and skirt cutaway should form a clear X:

Posted Image

You should avoid a quasi-Y shape:

Posted Image

#12 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

I am not a fan of these lower waist-seams either, they shorten the wearer.

#13 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

Are you seriously lauding the Beckhams? They are a pair of humourless and very ignorant prols. He cannot even work out how to wear his gong: wrong side and wrong place and as for that hat (that he did not dare to wear), it looks as though he bought it in a toy shop. Wing collars with morning dress went out with Neville Chamberlain. And what are they doing there anyway? Forty years ago footballers were (quite rightly) paid an artisan's wages and lived in a back-to-back house in Manchester and girls who could not sing did not get jobs singing. the presence of people like this; Elton John and Piers Morgan spoil watching these events for me: they are contemptible miseries and always in our faces. So far as Prince Albert of Monaco is concerned: he is just a fat boy and no coat is going to improve his appearance. He should not eat so much.

Milliband is, of course, The Prol-in-Chief and, apparently, a role model for David Cameron: how to look cheap and nasty and thoroughly common: the better to catch the voters' votes because dead common is what they really like.

Edited by NJS, 30 April 2011 - 11:14 PM.

<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#14 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

I am sure you are right NJS. However, it's hard not to overlook the fact that Beckham cuts a good figure in that morning coat. The reason is because of something I have always said about body coats: that they are sporting garments that flatter those with a good, athletic physique. Both dress coats and morning coats were originally riding coats, like hacking jackets. With time garments such as these lose their sporting roots, and become frumpy rental garments worn by overweight, elderly men. In actual fact, the lay of the seams of a body coat is designed to show off the figure, and in this case, as an elite athlete and former English football captain, it does just that. The good thing is that it injects fresh life into the morning coat, and renews its appeal to the younger generation. And that, I regard as a welcome thing.

#15 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Fair enough - but I can never get over the fact that this pair have found a novel way in which to boost their income: they charge rich and idiotic strangers 100,000 a time to spend the evening with them. At that point, he could be Cary Grant for the day and I'd still turn away in disgust because the young today regard this buffoon as a role model.

Regardless of the above, we know that there is (basically) a truck driver in the coat and a captain who fluffed penalties and failed to inspire the side more often than I can exactly recall. I remember one crucial penalty shot that he just topped like a five year old and how angry the spectators were for that and I haven't really bothered to watch football since. To have this goon held up as any kind of male icon fills me with incandescent rage. Sorry but there we are. And no one can ever complain that they do not know what I think.

Edited by NJS, 01 May 2011 - 02:14 AM.

<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#16 I.Brackley

I.Brackley

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:History, art theory, subculture anthropology

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:40 AM

Elton John and Piers Morgan spoil watching these events for me: they are contemptible miseries and always in our faces. So far as Prince Albert of Monaco is concerned: he is just a fat boy and no coat is going to improve his appearance. He should not eat so much.

Seeing as the knives are out and sharpened, what do people think of Mr. John's habit?
He's not exactly a trim figure either. His skirt isn't obstructing his lap, the waistline is higher, and it isn't overly long in the tails, something that I feel spoils the look of many of these other examples and works against the garment's sporty pedigree (which is indeed part of its appeal)

Posted Image
"The possibilities that exist in the portrayal of personality constitute the strongest, and in fact the only unanswerable argument for the supremacy of Custom Tailoring"

-F.T. Croonborg, c. 1917

#17 I.Brackley

I.Brackley

Apprentice

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:History, art theory, subculture anthropology

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

William's Irish Guard's uniform (most likely made by Henry Poole)

The Toronto Globe & Mail reported on Friday that it was "fitted by Kashket and Partners".
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/mens-style-at-the-royal-wedding-meaningful-and-classic/article2003876/

Also reported items of interest.

Elton John's dress 'designed' by Richard James (designed, not made?) David Furnish's coat by Henry Poole.
Beckahm's coat reported being from Ralph Lauren.
"The possibilities that exist in the portrayal of personality constitute the strongest, and in fact the only unanswerable argument for the supremacy of Custom Tailoring"

-F.T. Croonborg, c. 1917

#18 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

Beckahm's coat reported being from Ralph Lauren.

Wouldn't expect him to know the difference between bespoke and non-bespoke.
But in a few years from now he should know the difference.
Don't believe he comes from the influence that would know the difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users