30 replies to this topic

#1 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Hello my name is Eric I am 28 and I have spent the last two years in Italy learning the art of bespoke tailoring from Maestro Luigi Gallo. My wife and I sold all we own in order to learn this art. I gave made four suites with a little guidence from my maestro. I am trained in pattern making as well as pants, vests and jackets. I was taught in the old methods of tailoring. Being that I do almost everything by hand (even the over-lock). I have just returned to the states and I am looking for a paid possition at a bespoke tailorshop. I am very passionate and will be the most dedicated worker you can find. Tailoring is my life and won't ever stop. I just need someone to guide me as I perfect my skills.
Thanks for your time
  • Sator and CircledClothiers like this

#2 harmonica27

harmonica27

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hello my name is Eric I am 28 and I have spent the last two years in Italy learning the art of bespoke tailoring from Maestro Luigi Gallo. My wife and I sold all we own in order to learn this art. I gave made four suites with a little guidence from my maestro. I am trained in pattern making as well as pants, vests and jackets. I was taught in the old methods of tailoring. Being that I do almost everything by hand (even the over-lock). I have just returned to the states and I am looking for a paid possition at a bespoke tailorshop. I am very passionate and will be the most dedicated worker you can find. Tailoring is my life and won't ever stop. I just need someone to guide me as I perfect my skills.
Thanks for your time

Your background sounds familiar....

http://www.globalpos...-new-generation
  • Sator likes this

#3 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

Yes, that's me. Glad you found my news story.

#4 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

Good luck with finding a job.

BTW you didn't mention anything about where you live, where you are preferentially seeking employment, and where you would be happy to move to find work.

Also, if you are willing you might want to consider posting an email address or telephone number as not all employers will be forum members. There may be lurkers who haven't joined the forum.

Another suggestion would be to post photos of your work. If people see you are good, that will increase your chances.

#5 Simeon

Simeon

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

Sator, you have to be logged in to see this thread.

#6 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

I am still hoping for a position under any master tailor. I know that Internet searches are not the best way to go about things but I am desperate to continue my knowledge. I am willing to work as an apprentice and move where necessary. This may sound like a plea and that's because it is.

#7 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

To go through an apprentice, unless you are a small child, it will most likely cost something and lots of the time there is no pay until the later years. At the beginning it will be at your expense and the time you find to do it after working another job (job to pay bills). If you can find an old tailor and give him some incentives to teach (it maybe pay, or mowing his lawn, or running errands, a reason to teach) he might do it.

#8 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

To go through an apprentice, unless you are a small child, it will most likely cost something and lots of the time there is no pay until the later years. At the beginning it will be at your expense and the time you find to do it after working another job (job to pay bills). If you can find an old tailor and give him some incentives to teach (it maybe pay, or mowing his lawn, or running errands, a reason to teach) he might do it.

Unfortunately, very true!
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#9 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the responses. Not much help but non the less, thanks. From what I wrote above I am not at the beginners level at all. I am merely trying to further my education/career. I am also well aware of the sacrifices need inorder to apprentice. I sold all of my belongings and moved halfway across the world for this. The problem I am finding is that there are little to no bespoke tailors left in the states. Maybe the art is dead here, I hope not.

#10 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. Not much help but non the less, thanks. From what I wrote above I am not at the beginners level at all. I am merely trying to further my education/career. I am also well aware of the sacrifices need inorder to apprentice. I sold all of my belongings and moved halfway across the world for this. The problem I am finding is that there are little to no bespoke tailors left in the states. Maybe the art is dead here, I hope not.

forget it then...

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 29 May 2011 - 04:45 AM.

#11 lagos

lagos

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hi Eric,

My name is Ola and I just saw your post and see that you are looking for a job. Unfortunately, I am not your a master tailor that can put you under his wing but I am looking for a tailor specifically one who is able to use their skills to make handcrafted bow ties. I do not know if this is up your alley way or if you your skills are transferable to actually cut and sew one together but I hope it is.

What we will do is provide you with the raw materials which would be the fabric, the hook and eye slide, and whatever else is needed to make the bow tie. Our hope is that you will be able to put together a very well crafted bow tie that is worth selling in the marketplace.

If you are interested and would like to find out more please email us @ lypastels@gmail.com. We hope to hear back from you!

Thanks.

#12 Royce Loi

Royce Loi

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hey there, where you from? Can I get your contact number for further discussion?

#13 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Amazing, we all moan that there are not enough willing students, here we have someone who is so dedicated he sells everything and uproots his family to dedicate his time to the art of tailoring, and cannot find work. The trade should be ashamed, this guy deserves better.

#14 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Trust me Jukes, I'm trying to get him on board... but as I've only been in town almost 2 weeks and the money isn't flowing I can't send for him. I'd kill to work with him.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#15 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hello Eric,

I just viewed the news video Master Gallo's students at work in Rome and your interview.

Very inspirational.

Regards

Jeffrey 2117
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#16 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hello Eric,

I just viewed the news video Master Gallo's students at work in Rome and your interview.

Very inspirational.

Regards

Jeffrey 2117

Hello

Below is the link to video again for those who wish to view.

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#17 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hello

Below is the link to video again for those who wish to view.

Jeffrey2117

Link not working.

#18 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Schneider

Seit einigen Jahren liegt die Arbeitslosigkeit in diesem Bereich bei fast 50 Prozent. Nur ein wenig besser sieht es beim Textilgestalter aus, die Prognosen sind langfristig aber auch da schlecht, da sich die Textilbranche fast komplett ins Ausland verlagert hat. Alternative: Bekleidungstechniker bzw. Bekleidungstechnische Assistenten. Allerdings ist dies mittlerweile eher ein Reise- und Managementjob, der oft akademische Weiterqualifikation fordert. Bei großem Talent ist ein Modedesign-Studium ratsam.

Face the Reality, maybe someone will translate it.
Tailor: 50% unemployment! The answer is simple, to many tailors in the western world, period.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 22 March 2012 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users