#1 CoronarJunkee

CoronarJunkee

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I might have some reconstructing work to do and am looking for a very sturdy, rather heavy (like in the old times) overcoating with a quite pronounced twill weave. It shouldn't be too shiny but would better have a somewhat fuzzy surface. Though that's not sure yet. I don't know if it should look like new or rather like the worn thing.
Colour is dark brown, with a little greenish tint it seems.
Must be a nice material (collar is trimmed with fur) and can be expensive, I suppose.
It has to take the iron well...

Anyone?

Thanks a lot in adance!
Cheers

David

#2 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

Have you looked at Hainsworth ?
http://www.hainswort...ics/pilot-cloth

This one may not be it, but they have other qualities.

If you want the worn thing effect, you can try putting a sample in the washing machine at 60C. Guy Hills from Dashing Tweed did it with one of his tweeds, to make a jean-like trousers, the result is pretty impressive (I think he actually boiled the wool, but it may be too much).

Another idea, since it's a dark brown you're after, you can also buy a lighter brown overcoating, like a whipcord, and ask a colorist to dye it darker. Dying will take its fee, but it might be worth it since you will be able to get a better colour (the greenish tint will be difficult to find off the shelf).
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#3 CoronarJunkee

CoronarJunkee

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thank you, Paul. I think their Cavalry Twill could have been it. I could have had the fawn colour dyed... Anyways - I'm dropping the project. No time for it right now and I was a bit afraid of it. Coat without fitting with an fur collar and lining... They will find somebody else to make it. Anyways. Thanks for reminding me of Hainsworth. I had saved their website some time ago but since i've never ordered at their place, I didn't think of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users