• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#19 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Which leaves us with the question: Did he get his garment?

Did we have showing up in a pullover/ sweater with nothing underneath but a flabby belly? And a sweaty one at that?

Hello Sir,

Yes, the gentleman did receive his garment and was very well pleased with the quality fit and displayed this by a generous gratuity.

Regards,

Jeffrey P.
  • tailleuse likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#20 Kim Pattern

Kim Pattern

Umsie

• Senior Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Please bring or wear proper shirts instead of Tee for any fitting.
  • tailleuse likes this

#21 Svenn

Svenn

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I know some clients are undoubtedly unreasonable, but tailors too need to make it clear before a client walks into their shop what kind of service they're providing. Some tailors I've been to it becomes quite clear you're getting their house cut and they don't expect you to come there if you don't want it; others are much more flexible. I think most of you would be surprised how little flexibility I was given on the Row... it was little more than 'single or double breasted sir?' :rolleyes:
  • tailleuse and ladhrann like this

#22 Suz

Suz

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:pattern drafting, clothing design & construction, quilt design & construction, international cuisine, xeriscape gardening

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Wow! Never encountered "messy" clients. To avoid measuring/fitting problems I have ALWAYS instructed clients (new and repeat) to wear whatever undergarments AND footwear are to be worn with the garment. Men are generally not a problem and very well mannered. The women, however, are sometimes a challenge. I let all clients know upfront that any changes will be costly and added to the bill. For extremely difficult clients, the total bill is quite high as there is a "nuisance fee". This is a result of ignorant demands, late night phone calls to my home, and more.

After 20 years of teaching sewing, I took early retirement in favor of working full-time in my studio away from the rat race. Initially, clients took advantage of my kind nature but the years have been turned that around. People appreciate a list of expectations on both sides.

• tailleuse, ladhrann and jeffrey2117 like this

#23 Toni

Toni

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

How about "May I suggest you have your pants cleaned before bringing them in to us for alterations? It is policy we work by."

Nothing more fun than crusty pants when you're taking in the seat or tapering the leg. I refuse.

• fronno, tailleuse, jeffrey2117 and 2 others like this

#24 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Jukes

To get them to stop puffing the chest out when measuring is start a conversation, they have to breathe while talking so they will not be able to hold their breath.

• tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this

#25 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

Mansie
Some of them will carry on looking at themselves in the mirror while you are trying to converse with them. Best get rid of the mirror.
  • tailleuse likes this

#26 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

Mansie
Some of them will carry on looking at themselves in the mirror while you are trying to converse with them. Best get rid of the mirror.

I've had a sewing teacher fit patterns on me a few times.  She wouldn't let me look at myself in the mirror until the fit was just about perfect. I challenge anyone not to be self-conscious in that situation.

• ArgentAussi likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#27 Proudmoore

Proudmoore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:vintage, fibers

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

The worst nightmare? 

1. Dirty and smelly people - yes, those happen

2. Dirty and smelly clothes they were - unfortunately even more often than point 1

3. Know it all types which want to instruct the tailor how to do it 

The worst nightmare of all nightmares? One person with all three points from above :)

#28 craigdman

craigdman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

I think I'm a little guilty with changing my mind about fabric only after the first fitting. This obviously delays the tailoring process but I guess customer is always right in this case. Of course Napoli tailors gladly obliged with my request. So it's all good now I got the suit I've always wanted.

• tailleuse likes this

#29 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

I think I'm a little guilty with changing my mind about fabric only after the first fitting. This obviously delays the tailoring process but I guess customer is always right in this case. Of course "NT" gladly obliged with my request. So it's all good now I got the suit I've always wanted.

Please don't link to obviosly non-bespoke websites. Feel free to put in the name, but no (hidden) links,

FTR, the suits are as much Neapolitan as my shoes...

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#30 DesertElephant

DesertElephant

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Classic Style, Bow Ties, Trousers, Vests, French Cuffs. I also love Fantasy and Science Fiction Media, whether it be books, film or television. I Especially LOVE Doctor Who (from 2005 Resumption on. And, as the Good Doctor stated, "Bow Ties are Cool."

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

Busted

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, but not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy; for the apparel oft proclaims the man.

-Polonius, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3

#31 Cbeck

Cbeck

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:51 PM

Don't be worried to ask questions about the garment for you having made and make choices based on what you want. 

I was helping my teacher with a new client, and he had obviously tried to prepare himself with words and typical ideals of tailoring. But after a tea and chat we got him to relax and what we sketched out based on his description was completely different to what he originally said, 

• tailleuse and ChiTownTailor like this

#32 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:22 PM

Hello All, 

About a week ago, I had a man come in with five suits to be altered,  he returned and asked to re-fit each suit four different times in two days.  He changed his mind each time on how he wished the suits to fit.  After the fourth re-fitting, he loudly proclaimed that if he does not like the fit of the alterations afterwards, he is not obligated to pay for the work and will sue if I try to withhold the garments and then attempted to negotiate a lower price. 

I graciously handed the gentleman back all five suits and thanked him for stopping by my establishment and recommended another business for him to visit.  He had a strange look on his face and said he is not used to getting treated that way.  

I thanked him again for coming and said I was not used to getting treated that way either!

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

• tailleuse, SPOOKIETOO, hutch48 and 1 other like this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#33 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

Good for you Jeffery.  You don't really want the recommendation of a guy like that.  He might send more of the same! :)

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#34 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hello Schneiderfrei,

I sent him to a rival's business, they charge less, but, you get what you pay for!  Most people that go there with nice things, bring it to me afterwards to correctly alter! :-D

Last week, I had a man bring me two formal dress uniform jackets, with stand collars for alterations, that the other business ruined, not even complicated alterations either.  The man had to purchase two more new uniform jackets and then pay me USD $150. to alter them.  He said that he knew he should have brought them to me at first, but thought I would charge him more.  He was correct, I would have charged him more, but he would not have had to purchase two new jackets either!

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

Edited by jeffrey2117, 11 May 2015 - 11:17 PM.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#35 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

Having inadequate competition can be so useful. A co-worker and I once sent a $750,000 job to our competition, because the owner was such a pain, had no idea what he was doing, and even though he was good for the money, we knew his business would fail (it did - quickly) and that he would never venture back into our realm again (he didn't). He was taking up enormous amounts of time and making it almost impossible to service our good, repeat clients.

Our competitors thought we had lost our minds - but while they were wasting months on end with this one customer - we were busy cherry-picking every great project we could get - most all of which meant additional profitable jobs in the future. The business of business can be fun at times.

• jeffrey2117, Schneiderfrei and ArgentAussi like this

#36 ArgentAussi

ArgentAussi

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

I really enjoyed reading this topic! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I haven't dealt with a lot of customers but when a friend of our family was going to become the secretary of a rather prominent local politicial she asked me to hem her skirts. She is quite a big girl and she had asked to take off so much that I questioned whether her new outfit wouldn't be too short. I wasn't sure what to tell her so right away I started to pin and baste the hem line and that convinced her. I'm not Canadian myself and tend to tell the truth right away but showing her said more than enough thank heavens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users