8 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Harrisons Burley are an English family owned and independent cloth manufacturer. The company was founded in 1920 and is now run by the third generation, with succession plans to hand the business on to the next generation already in place. It should be noted that they are an entirely different operation from Harrison's of Edinburgh. For a start they are based in Yorkshire, England rather than in Scotland.

They differ from merchants who buy in finished cloths rather than design and plan manufacture or purchase yarn. All manufacturing is done in the UK by commission weavers. Internationally their cloths are sold under many well known designer brands eg Lanvin and Dunhill. The majority of sales are to the export market in the Middle East. Only recently have they started to sell cut lengths.

Richard has kindly sent me all of his sample books for the store. So far our impression of the cloth on offer is very good and at these prices, it is unbelievably good value for money. The finishing is beautiful. Even their super 160s have made up extremely well and have proven popular with the clients coming through the store. Because of the good price, it makes it more feasible to stock the store with cloth.

The choice of designs in the three books I have are somewhat limited compared with those from merchants but most of the essentials are covered, and covered extremely well. I expect this is because they do all of their designing and yarn purchases in-house. However, unless your client wants something more unusual or something very specific, the designs will suit the majority of clients. I would highly recommend stocking these designs books for this reason.

There are three books:

1. The Ultimate Collection - S160 wool with 11 designs
2. The Exquisite Range - S130s wool with 19 designs
3. Fine Worsted Cloths fine worsted wool with 41 designs

The Ultimate Collection

The designs cover the essentials - plain navy, charcoal, and black in a serge weave, and herringbone design. There are also 1/2" wide rope stripes and rope stripes in the standard colours. There are two narrower pin stripes about 1/4" wide. The two fanciest designs are in a fine blue stripe about 1/8" wide on a herringbone background.

The Exquisite Range

The designs are basically the same with the addition of a greater range of offerings. Mostly this consists of a greater variety of shades of grey. However, in the 1/2" wide pinstripes you also find lavender, red and pink pin stripes. There are a couple of fancy stripes with alternating cream and red or cream and blue stripes. There are also two Prince of Wales checks, in medium grey and blue neither with an overcheck for a refreshing change.

The Fine Worsted Range

These weigh in at 310/330 grams or around 10 Oz weight. There is an extremely wide range of different shades of colour available in a plain design. These include shades of light greys, greige, and fawn as well as shades of darker greys and blues. Again there are herringbone designs, but also a couple of pick-and-pick weaves start to come through.

Tailors interested in offering these design books to clients should contact Harrisons:

Sandyland Works, Anderton Street, Crosshills,
West Yorkshire, England, BD20 7ED.

Phone: 44 (0)1535 637410

Fax: 44 (0)1535 637498

Email: info@harrisonsburley.co.uk

http://www.harrisonsburley.com/#

http://www.facebook....harrisonsburley

Those interested in trying out their cloths can purchase cut lengths off eBay:

http://stores.ebay.c...ic-by-Harrisons
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

"Tradition is about passing on the flame, and not the worshipping of ashes"

#2 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): "Tradition ist die Weitergabe des Feuers und nicht die Anbetung der Asche."

#3 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

Amazing, ordered the books.
I wish I could make suits faster. But I am working on it.

Schneidern heisst, viel Wissen, viel Arbeit und keine Kohle im Sack, dafuer aber viele Kunden, die alles besser wissen.  :Big Grin:

#4 qualityenglishfabric

qualityenglishfabric

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cricket and Burnley Football Club!!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Many thanks for the nice write up. It is much appreciated and I am glad you have been satisfied with the fabrics bought.
After many years of calling to see the Merchants and attempting to get our fabrics in with the Merchants without success, we decided to branch out and offer "cut lengths" directly to the public.

By far and away our bulk still comes from Middle East from wholesalers, cloth retailers and uniform contracts. But we are steadily building our cut length business.

Please also remember that overseas buyers outside the EU and also buyers inside EU who can provide a VAT number, benefit from 20% reduction in the prices on our ebay site.

Many thanks.

#5 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Welcome!

I have certainly been impressed by the very nice finishing on the cloths I have purchased. Next time another piece of that S160s herringbone design gets made up (if there is any left) I will take some pictures and post them up.

I should also say I have found the service to be excellent with the cloth arriving promptly on the other side of the planet within a couple of days of ordering it.

#6 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

The problem for tailors working from home (and there is quite a few) or from a workshop is that a lot of the cloth companies will not supply bunches unless you have a shop, its a catch 22.
So i tend to sell only the cloths of the companies who have kindly let me have their cloth bunches, its restrictive i know. But if they are not willing to help the smaller customer, we should not be helping them.
Their attitude is further damaging an already diminishing trade.

#7 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:11 AM

I have forwarded this info to our design co-ordinator and our buyers. Thanks for the ebay link too.

#8 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

I've got about 3 lengths sitting around while I work up enough skill to be able to cut into them. This blue cloth is also Harrisons Burley:

Posted Image

#9 qualityenglishfabric

qualityenglishfabric

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cricket and Burnley Football Club!!

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Just a follow up note to ask for information about any Textile Agents that people may know of who cover areas or the whole of USA, this is an area we are not represented in and would like to find representation. Most of the Agents I have contacted in New York either do not reply or tell us to look elsewhere! Any help is greatly accepted. I am Richard Harrison Director Harrisons (Burley) Ltd, James Harrison No 5 in the chain has just joined the business so we are looking for expansion of sales! He follows Harry, Richard, John (still working 2 days)Richard(Me), lets hope it will continue for him, we have managed to find a course for him to study part time at Huddersfield Textile Centre Of Excellence (virtually all University and College Textile Courses are gone).
I remember back to when I studied my HNC in Textiles (Specializing In Woven Fabric Design), not only were there many students from UK but we were joined by French, Italian and even a student from Argentina, the knowledge will soon be very sparce or even lost forever!

Whisky fuelled rant completed! Please help with USA agent if you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users