161 replies to this topic

#145 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the links Sator and TT. I am at least glad to find the Bozzolo in n24 I can use that for my button holes. I would still like to find it in n18 for my puntini (prick stitches). I have searched the net but finding Italian references on this side of the pond is quite difficult.

#146 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for that TT. Does 24 Wt correspond to about a ticket 75 silk thread for top stitching?

There is "Kupfer" silk thread, 60/2, which is meant for top stitching. Nice stuff. I got some from a shop in Wuppertal (Wolfslast), but they don't stock all colours, just the basics.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#147 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

24wt in the Italian brands would be for button holes only and the 18wt would be for top stitch only. (I was lectured on this for a half an hour by my Maestro after I top stitched with 24).

Edited by Youngsarto, 26 May 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#148 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

I presume 24wt is a 3 ply thread.

It may be unorthodox, but I've seen tailors remove one of the ply in the thread to make it thinner and suitable for topstitching.

This is a god trick to know when you can't find suitable thread.

Of course, wax the thread after removing the ply, twisting it so it doesn't unravel while sewing.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#149 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

Thanks nishijin, that's exactly what I have been doing with the remainder of the thread I purchased in Italy.

#150 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

6-month old quotes, per 144 pieces (1 gross):

For overcoats/coats/trousers
MOP 24L (2.2mm thick) $54
MOP 32L (2.4mm thick) $87.5
MOP 36L (2.6mm thick) a little over a hundred, from memory. That's a pretty big button, and I admit to not having seen one in reality. I have ordered their other ones.

For shirts
18L MOP 2mm thick $24
16L MOP 2mm thick $21

They also do several styles of shirt buttons, and send sample cards. Minimum order 3gr, and they take paypal by just adding the fees on the top. Note, buttons are made to order - I think they generally take about a week to be made.

Contact Bill Wu: http://sites.google....e/yiuwahbutton/

#151 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

WAWAK is back

someone bought wawak, yawitz, solo, and atlanta thread.
its all rolled into one. prices look ok for small operators.
they promise fast delivery. free delivery for $100 purchase.

Edited by A TAILOR, 21 September 2012 - 09:08 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

#152 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

For folks who live in Australia I have just found a supplier in Melbourne that stocks what look like reasonable quality hand needles and Amman thread.

http://www.ebonycraft.com.au

I can routinely buy Rasant from E. M. Greenfield which are within walking distance of where I live but I have not found anyone in Sydney that supplies decent needles. I just ordered some packets of gold eyed darners from Ebonycraft, the brand being Japanese made "Hemline".

• tailleuse likes this

#153 silverminx

silverminx

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Hutch48, what brands of needles have you tried? I know of local suppliers for Pony, John James and Richard Hemming needles (the last is my personal preference, and Bohin). Hemline is stocked in a few physical stores in Sydney too.
  • tailleuse likes this

#154 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Sorry to be slow, I did not notice this post as I posted on needles elsewhere. The Hemline needles turned up and I am very pleased with them, genuinely sharp, very good finish and still relatively cheap. I got 10 packets at $2.50 AU each that has about 10 needles, in my case 3 different sizes of darners. I use the darners because of their length as I mainly use needles to sew on buttons. I looked and rang around here in the inner city but could not find anyone who carried reasonable needles so I went searching on the internet and found them that way.

• tailleuse likes this

#155 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

I found a company in Italy that sells and ships their goods to other European countries: Pinotti S.A.S.

They have a sort of English version of their site, check the upper right corner. I did, however, not see a list of non-European countries they might ship to. But they do offer Paypal and immediate check-out, since it's hard to register as a non-Italian citizen (even though there is the usual "world" drop down menu)!

Apparently, there is a thing like coloured basting thread:

1653355_394844754003009_7146010401871859

• tailleuse likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

#156 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:haute couture

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hutch and Sator,

I'm looking for a source for wigan in Au. Can you help me?

I'm writing a short article for Stitches and want to recommend it for interfacing hems. 

Many thanks, Claire

Claire Shaeffer

Author, Couture Sewing Techniques

claire.shaeffer@gmail.com

www.sewfari.org

#157 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:39 PM

Claire,

I did a quick Google search on "wigan fabric australia" and got a few results that are here in OZ. Its not something that I am familiar with but it looks like a few companies supply some forms of it.

#158 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hutch,

Thank you. When I googled "wigan fabric australia," the resources were primarily in the US. 

Since you don;t use wigan, what do you use for interfacing hems?

Thanks, Claire

Claire Shaeffer

www.sewfari.org

#159 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

I am not really a good example as the only hems I make are on shorts or track pants and that just involves turning the hem under and stitching it. With drill shorts I turn the hem twice to get it strong enough without being too hard. In terms of interfacing you can get Vilene of different types routinely, E & M Greenfield sell it as I use it for pin up patterns.

#160 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:22 AM

2" and 4" wigan in Australia

Fabric Fair, 118 Jessie Street Armidale NSW 2350 

Claire Shaeffer

www.sewfari.org

#161 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:57 AM

I purchased a pair of the tailor's shears from Italy that were recently created. I bought the Brass version. Amazing, using them every day and they cut really well. I thought it would be good to mention they are available here:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheThackery
  • tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#162 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

I'd like to add the following Italian company: http://www.foderezam...mboniShop/shop/

Good selection of decent trimmings including canvasses, buttons and so on.

Website navigation is Italian only, but maybe Chrome can translate it?

They don't offer Paypal, so money transfer can be a bit of a bother. I used a different service for the transfer and got my goods fast.

• tailleuse and ChiTownTailor like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users