Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:cycling, eating, clothing

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Velvet Slippers Midnight Blue Barbed Wire
Matthew Cookson Velvet Slippers

We have started bringing in Velvet Slippers into Australia. This is something we see as a growth area. What I have noticed is that people, especially men, especially modern Dandys, are wearing them on the street. They are of course 'at home' slippers, but this is just another wave of breaking down traditional barriers, which we have also seen with black tie.

I have tried wearing them with jeans but they look a little too gauche. What is the opinion of you Cutter and Tailor readers? Should they be worn out? If yes, with woollen trousers only?

Posted Image

#2 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Vaya... those are worn on the street? That's very... forward. Fun though, I say do it. If that's your style? Rock it. And steer clear of highly suited men. They might sneer ;)
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#3 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

If you are going to break down traditional barriers, might I suggest wearing a bowler hat and a tutu!!!
  • J. Maclochlainn, DanielMerrick, Henry Hall and 1 other like this

#4 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Oh Mansie, must you be so traditional? :D
  • Schneiderfrei and adelrio like this
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#5 Lewis Davies

Lewis Davies

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

i wear my embroider slippers out
you need an additional heel to the bog standard wooden one it wears down very easily
i would suggest getting them made at john lobb like myself and asking for an outdoor heel

#6 JMB

JMB

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

Velvet slippers are traditionally intended to be worn indoors, not out. They are often embroidered with golden or silver initials of the owner, sometimes with houndheads,
colorful pheasants in flight or houndheads. Adorning such slippers with barbed wire conjures up images of the death camps during the second world war. It's in bad taste
and a reminder of loved ones lost in Europe and Asia. It's simply inappropriate!

What is most appropriate is to wear your velvet slippers with dinner suits when entertaining at home, or sitting by the fire with a good book (no tablets, please) while
wearing a cashmere or camelhair robe. Nothing like a good read and the warmth of a fire!

JMB

#7 carpu65

carpu65

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Velvet slippers are nice indoors,but i have fear that outdoors
can be considered a choise inappropriate,eccentric and flamboyant.
Moreover,are not make to walk to the streets like shoes.
If you like slippers type,look to classic Italian shoes of 60s for inspiration:

Posted Image

Edited by carpu65, 06 January 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#8 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

I don't think this is a look that every man can wear with success. When I read this post, I was reminded of the character in the John Knowles's prep school novel, "A Separate Peace," who would wear his ties as a belt. He had incredible charisma and could get away with anything. Success depends entirely on the guy and the whole package. You would want to avoid a silly, smug look.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#9 CircledClothiers

CircledClothiers

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

I've seen this in a lookbook last year from Hadleigh out of Dallas, TX. Most, if not all the looks featured the brand's house slippers and the company seems to be doing well in selling the idea, coming back on their site today showed them continuing the idea into the current lookbook. I think they've managed to capture the allure of using a high class velvet slipper as a statement piece. I think the shape of the traditional slipper is what's most appealing about using this for one's aesthetic, but careful consideration must be used to not make the outfit seem forced, don't let the slippers wear you, wear the slipper :)

Here's the link: Hadleighs

#10 Lewis Davies

Lewis Davies

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

rather than correct people on terms of dress i stick to this rule

were it like you were meant to

that simple

#11 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

It reminds me of the war between ranchers and cowboys- "Don't fence me in".

And then there is the group of city slickers who like skulls and that nature or entertainment, which would include for some of them barbwire.

#12 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

As I said before, I'm not saying that a very unusual man couldn't get away with this, but men in velvet slippers create two very strong impressions for me:

1) Entitled rich guy a-holes;

(This guy doesn't look entitled, he just looks insane. Best image I could find in 3 seconds.)

Posted Image

2) Wannabe rich guys; the kind of man who puts on the loudest preppy print pants he can find, adds a "jaunty" nautical cap and goes off to his yacht, a toy sailboat on a lake in Central Park. Or maybe he got kicked off the Love Boat.

Posted Image

I could see Darren Criss -- one of the stars of the American TV show Glee pulling off this look, but even he would have to make sure not to overdo it.

#13 Atgemis

Atgemis

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:cycling, eating, clothing

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

I find these forums are full of 'knockers'. People who just throw stones at everything and everyone out there whilst hiding behind their ridiculous pseudonyms. The only one who seems to contribute is Sator, the rest of you just belittle the rest of humanity for experimenting, or evolving, or making and creating new things. I would like to hear from more of you that try new things, experiment and go out there and create new products and challenge the status quo. I am sick of finding running commentary that either ridicules someone for posting new content or else makes them feel very small for wanting to open a discussion up about anything other than what 'you people' think is the norm in society that should never be challenged. If any of you do do anything with your lives other than humiliate others on this forum, why not let people know about it. Post the new jackets you have made. Show us the new designer you stumbled on, post a video showing you doing some hand quilting at home, but for God's sake, pull up your socks and stop behaving like a pack of losers.
  • DanielMerrick likes this

#14 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

I find these forums are full of 'knockers'. People who just throw stones at everything and everyone out there whilst hiding behind their ridiculous pseudonyms. The only one who seems to contribute is Sator, the rest of you just belittle the rest of humanity for experimenting, or evolving, or making and creating new things. I would like to hear from more of you that try new things, experiment and go out there and create new products and challenge the status quo. I am sick of finding running commentary that either ridicules someone for posting new content or else makes them feel very small for wanting to open a discussion up about anything other than what 'you people' think is the norm in society that should never be challenged. If any of you do do anything with your lives other than humiliate others on this forum, why not let people know about it. Post the new jackets you have made. Show us the new designer you stumbled on, post a video showing you doing some hand quilting at home, but for God's sake, pull up your socks and stop behaving like a pack of losers.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but must point out that your tone is very defensive. You really shouldn't be surprised that in a clothing forum some people have strong feelings about clothes. On occasion, I have posted clothes I like. My taste is very traditional so it seldom gets a reaction, when it gets any at all.

Wait a minute. There was the time I posted photos of some gorgeous fancy waistcoats from the film Another Country and some people asked me what on earth I saw in them.

If anyone asks me a question that I can answer, in the forum or privately, I'm always happy to do it. I also have posted links to articles and videos of interest if I thought that they were obscure.

The propensity of people on the Internet to call others "losers" is precisely why I use a pseudonym.

#15 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

I find these forums are full of 'knockers'.

As it seems to mean so much to you, I looked to see if I could delete my post. It doesn't seem possible.

Having opinions does not render one a "knocker."

#16 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Atremis, Even Sator is pretty harsh on tailors and other peoples opinions of what good tailoring is. Clothing sure can bring out the passions in people. For 50 years I have seen people get excited about tailoring I've never cared to see and wonder what it is that they think is so special. I think they have a right to their joys even though I don't care for it. Some people think some tailoring they see is bad because they don't understand it or don't like it. Like drape, there are many variations to it, and any of them are fine. There are cheap tailors and there are those would make what looks the same but be better crafted. There is also regional tailoring; Northern Western Europe, Mediterranean, Eastern Europe, Far East, and some other ones. If a person knows enough he could have a mix. The regional variation are not wrong, but some would think some are wrong because they don't do this or that. Having an open mind is a good idea, but somehow I still step on people now and then. It is best to find things interesting about clothes than to try and derail people who like it.

Back to slippers- Some years ago I saw an East Indian wearing those mythical slippers with the curled toes. I wanted to ask him where he got them because I would like to wear some. Does anybody have a name for them? I think there are variations clear to Turkey and probably further East than India.

#17 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Back to slippers- Some years ago I saw an East Indian wearing those mythical slippers with the curled toes. I wanted to ask him where he got them because I would like to wear some. Does anybody have a name for them? I think there are variations clear to Turkey and probably further East than India.

One type may be called mojari. The contemporary versions I saw online here and here are less curled. I like them, but as with velvet slippers, it's a lot of look for the ordinary man.

Back to opinions about clothes. Wear what you like, but it can be helpful to know what associations other people make to a particular item of clothing. I just had another flash in regard to velvet shoes: Hugh Hefner. (Hint: that's not positive, coming from me.)

#18 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thanks tailleuse, those are nice slippers. One place said they made of camel or goat or sheep leather and some of the fancy ones sew stuff on cloth and then glue that on to the leather. Might give it a try. It is easier to go across the border to Vancouver BC and buy a pair up there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users