Velvet Slippers - What To Wear Them With

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#19 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Atgemis, if you ask style questions and expect only answers as "sure, it looks great, I like it !", then please don't ask. There will always be people who don't share your tastes.
I have no clue about "acceptable styles" in Australia. From a French, parisian, slightly conservative* point of view, the pictures I've seen of you make me think you have bold taste. Not everybody can dress as you do.

Here is my opinion about velvet slippers, and Matthew Cockson's ones specifically.
I like them. Some embroideries less than other ones, but as a rule I like them.
I'd wear them indoor only. Why ? Because they are not constructed to outdoor wearing. The sole is too thin, the heel not strong enough. They would soil too fast.
Can velvet shoes been worn outside ? Sure, why not ? It may not be for anybody, but I don't consider it wrong in itself. But they should be velvet shoes, not slippers. With a sole and heel intended to be worn outside.

Wearing slippers outside make me think "why not wear a bathrobe next time ?". Some things are designed to be kept indoors, they look out of place in the street. Like wearing patent leather court slippers to the beach.

So if you want to carry this style outside, go to a bespoke shoemaker, and ask for velvet shoes.

* there are people here on the forum who would call me a dangerous modernist, but I have a few friends who work in fashion industry and I'm sure they think I'm a very conservative guy... Everything is relative in fashion...
  • Henry Hall likes this
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#20 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

Atgemis, if you ask style questions and expect only answers as "sure, it looks great, I like it !", then please don't ask. There will always be people who don't share your tastes.
I have no clue about "acceptable styles" in Australia. From a French, parisian, slightly conservative* point of view, the pictures I've seen of you make me think you have bold taste. Not everybody can dress as you do.

To clarify, I don't hate all velvet slippers, I simply think that they're a very hard look for most to pull off. And I agree, slippers are not very practical. There was a time when I was fascinated with Belgian Shoes, which, I'm told, are slippers. I used to see ads for them in The New Yorker, which gave them a mystique. A few years ago, I went to the Manhattan store to try some on. What a disappointment. Very expensive, uncomfortable, and they basically were saying not to walk in them on the street, and definitely not in the rain. The showroom was filled with stuffy, entitled WASPs who were not attractive.

Velvet shoes, like Belgian Shoes, have to be worn ironically. If it looks like you actually are trying seriously to evoke that look from top to toe you run the risk of appearing ridiculous.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#21 Atgemis

Atgemis

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:cycling, eating, clothing

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You to yours, me to mine. Mine is that I wish this forum was a little more open minded and more of a breeding ground for new ideas. Sincerely, N.

#22 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Of course, but I'm sure you'll agree that an idea like this, it being quite unconventional, will raise an eyebrow here and there.

I think that's a good thing. Those who break with tradition are often the one to spur change and innovation. But I'll bet they all do it knowing they will take flack for it.

As for this community, well it's a predominantly traditional melange on here, is my impression. If you were to put the question to a fashion forward forum, you'd get different reactions.

Actually, the forum IS a breeding ground for new ideas, in that traditionally, this kind of mutual help and sharing never used to happen with such ease. Sator has brought people in who share a lot of knowledge, and who do so freely.
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#23 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Of course, but I'm sure you'll agree that an idea like this, it being quite unconventional, will raise an eyebrow here and there.

I think that's a good thing. Those who break with tradition are often the one to spur change and innovation. But I'll bet they all do it knowing they will take flack for it.

As for this community, well it's a predominantly traditional melange on here, is my impression. If you were to put the question to a fashion forward forum, you'd get different reactions.

Actually, the forum IS a breeding ground for new ideas, in that traditionally, this kind of mutual help and sharing never used to happen with such ease. Sator has brought people in who share a lot of knowledge, and who do so freely.

Yes, people are opinionated, but nobody means any harm. Clothing is one of the few remaining topics acceptable for spirited, safe argument. Posted Image

#24 NJS

NJS

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

Yes, people are opinionated, but nobody means any harm. Clothing is one of the few remaining topics acceptable for spirited, safe argument. Posted Image

However, best to avoid: 'frock coat', 'waist seam' and 'evening breeches'.
  • DanielMerrick likes this
<b></b>NJS<b></b>

#25 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You to yours, me to mine. Mine is that I wish this forum was a little more open minded and more of a breeding ground for new ideas. Sincerely, N.

I'm trying to come up with the ultimate tailored wardrobe for a woman. One that's modern, comfortable, professional, and that I can sew. Posted Image

I do occasionally read men's clothing blogs that update classic looks. Sometimes the looks work, sometimes they don't.

#26 Atgemis

Atgemis

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:cycling, eating, clothing

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Tailleuse, I think this is very interesting. I think women's clothes on so many levels lack structure. My reference is not to high street stores offering suiting, but the kind of garments I see on the women I meet. The other morning I picked up my girlfriend's top (and I wish I could call it what it is, but it probably wasn't a top but I wouldn't have the faintest idea on how to describe women's clothes) and it was so flimsy, poorly stitched, frilly and it lacked and real panache.

Hey, I have a great idea for you - it would impress the pants off men! Not many of us know how to describe women's clothes, you know, like, what is the difference between a dress and a skirt and robe and wrap dress and a singlet versus a top, versus a jacket versus a coat. I know this sounds ridiculous, but none of my male friends can describe women's clothes. What are the chances, since you are a woman, of creating a thread which is a GLOSSARY of women's items which let's men know what the hell they are talking about. The same could be done for shoes and handbags.

Regards,
Nicholas.
  • tailleuse and adelrio like this

#27 anthonywang

anthonywang

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

well, you can wear a set of velvet clothing from the shirt, trousers, slippers, and tie. you will be fabulous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users