Casentino cloth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

Casentino cloth is a traditionnal cloth from Tuscany, in Italy. Its history extends way back in time, to the medieval camaldolese monks. It is a rough woollen cloth, with a thistle-risen nap that form small loops on the surface. It is very strong, protects well from wind and rain, and lasts a lifetime. The tuscan well-dressed men like to have an overcoat made from it, similar to an ulster overcoat, in the traditionnal bright orange hue, with a fox collar (some say it's wolf fur, not fox). Lining is a woolen green. And it seems to be relatively cheap.

Edit : technically, it is a member of the ratine family of cloth.

This cloth came back into fashion a few years ago, and it is easy to find information about it and pictures of garments made from it on the usual fashion blogs and fora.

What I can't find is a supplier. Jodek international seems to have it in the US but I want a source in Europe. Of course, when I ask in France nobody knows about it. Since some italian tailors do work with this cloth, it must be available somewhere. But where ?
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

http://tacs.it/

Not sure if they are willing to sell the cloth only.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

"Es gibt keinen Grund mit Erfahrung zu prahlen, denn man kann etwas auch viele Jahre falsch machen!"
"There is no reason to boast of your experience, because it's possible to do things wrong for a long time!"

#3 gatto

gatto

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

tacs used to sell casentino fabric by metrege.

If you want to speak with somebody who know everything about Casentino Coat, you should speak with Sartoria Morganti, Castagneto Carducci.

#4 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks !

I've sent an email to Tacs.

I'd love to speak with Mr Morganti, but I don't speak italian at all... Maybe some day I'll be able to travel there...
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#5 gatto

gatto

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

Thanks !

I've sent an email to Tacs.

I'd love to speak with Mr Morganti, but I don't speak italian at all... Maybe some day I'll be able to travel there...

Mr Morganti was the old owner of the tailor shop in Castagneto Carducci. Now the shop is run by a Rumenian tailor called Florin. Maybe he could speak french or english.

Gatto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users