#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Not a great photo, but here's a picture of Hadley Fraser, an actor in The Phantom of the Opera.

What do you call his ensemble, which is a military jacket with what I think is an attached cape, or perhaps it's a jacket? I've only seen this garment/costume a couple of times in the movies. Usually, it looks very awkward, but this actor carried it off.

Posted Image

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Actually that "cape" is another coat called a Pelisse worn by Hussars. It is typically worn draped over the left shoulder but was large enough to wear over the short tunic as well.
  • ACECAPS, tailleuse, suncoastcustom and 1 other like this
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Actually that "cape" is another coat called a Pelisse worn by Hussars. It is typically worn draped over the left shoulder but was large enough to wear over the short tunic as well.

Thank you. Does the cape attach to the tunic with a loop?

I looked it up on Wikipedia, which says a lanyard was used.

Edited by tailleuse, 17 March 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#4 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Have you ever seen The Phantom of the Opera? If so, what do you think of the men's costumes? It's nominally set in France, but I assume the costumes are Victorian. (Or maybe upper class men's clothing in the two countries was similar.) I noticed that most of the men in the opera scenes were wearing tailcoats with trousers (I assume they would be called "evening dress suits"). All the body coats had puffed sleeves.

I can't immediately find any good close-ups of the tail coat.

I like the character Raoul's waistcoat. I assume it would be called a semi-U shaped front with piping, double-breasted with double points. I see that there are small vents at the side. I wonder if they are usual or were added because this is a costume.

Posted Image

#5 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

This is a designer interpretation of a Hussard or Dragon uniform. The tunic is called a dolman, and the small coat worn on the shoulder as a cape is a pelisse indeed.
The sleeves are wrong, though: the braiding is modern, when it should be made ith loops similar to those on the coat.

The Phantom of the Opera takes story happens in Paris in the end of the XIXth c. (the action is place in the Opéra Garnier, which was built from 1860 to 1875).

At this time, English dress was favored all over Europe, and there are no fundamental difference between French and English evening dress.

The waistcoat is a typical silk evening dress coat. And yes, slits on the hips are frequent on waistcoats, I always make some on mine. It is necessary to sit.
The fit of this WC is horrible, though. Do you see how the lapels gap on the chest ?
  • tailleuse likes this
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#6 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hello Sir,

I believe I recall seeing these uniform styles in an old movie from 1936 or 1937, The prisoner of Zenda, starring Ronald Coleman.

If you wish to view a good variety of this type of uniform clothing, that is well fitting, view this movie.

Regards

Jeffrey 2117
  • tailleuse likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#7 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

Tailleuse, here you can see more details on one uniform of this kind. There are many variations, depending on the period and military unit it belongs to.

http://www.antikcost...-c370-a1177.htm

The blue coat worn closed on the body is a dolman, the red coat with fur lining, worn here on the shoulder, is a pelisse.

The name "pelisse" is still used today for overcoats with a fur lining and collar.
  • tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#8 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

This is a designer interpretation of a Hussard or Dragon uniform. The tunic is called a dolman, and the small coat worn on the shoulder as a cape is a pelisse indeed.
The sleeves are wrong, though: the braiding is modern, when it should be made ith loops similar to those on the coat.

The Phantom of the Opera takes story happens in Paris in the end of the XIXth c. (the action is place in the Opéra Garnier, which was built from 1860 to 1875).

At this time, English dress was favored all over Europe, and there are no fundamental difference between French and English evening dress.

The waistcoat is a typical silk evening dress coat. And yes, slits on the hips are frequent on waistcoats, I always make some on mine. It is necessary to sit.
The fit of this WC is horrible, though. Do you see how the lapels gap on the chest ?

Thanks, Nishijin. I see what you mean about the lapels. I thought it was caused by his stance in that photo.

Before I posed my question, I'd heard the word "pelisse" once or twice in a reference to the woman's garment.

#9 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hello Sir,

I believe I recall seeing these uniform styles in an old movie from 1936 or 1937, The prisoner of Zenda, starring Ronald Coleman.

If you wish to view a good variety of this type of uniform clothing, that is well fitting, view this movie.

Regards

Jeffrey 2117

Thank you. I've seen the film, and it's shown on cable a few times a year. I'll try to catch it. I had thought of this as as a Central/Eastern European military style, but it was/is more widespread.

BTW, if you were responding to me, I'm a woman. Posted Image

• jeffrey2117 likes this

#10 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

Tailleuse, here you can see more details on one uniform of this kind. There are many variations, depending on the period and military unit it belongs to.

http://www.antikcost...-c370-a1177.htm

The blue coat worn closed on the body is a dolman, the red coat with fur lining, worn here on the shoulder, is a pelisse.

The name "pelisse" is still used today for overcoats with a fur lining and collar.

Thank you! I had learned from Wikipedia that the short coat is called a "dolman," which was interesting because previously, I'd only heard of the term "dolman sleeve," another instance of women's fashion adapting men's military dress.

#11 Digby Snaffles

Digby Snaffles

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Hussar Photos

Officer in the Yorkshire Hussars
  • tailleuse likes this

#12 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hussar Photos

Officer in the Yorkshire Hussars

Thank you. Posted Image The second photo gives me a much better idea of how the pelisse was attached.

#13 Bjorn

Bjorn

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Looks like a 'vapenrock' in Swedish, which translates into waffenrock in German.
Some examples may be found in this Swedish museum: http://emuseumplus.l...sp=0&sp=F&sp=20
This picture was good: http://emuseumplus.lsh.se/eMuseumPlus?service=direct/1/ResultLightboxView/result.t1.collection_lightbox.$TspTitleImageLink.link&sp=10&sp=Scollection&sp=SfieldValue&sp=0&sp=9&sp=3&sp=Slightbox_4x5&sp=20&sp=Sdetail&sp=0&sp=F&sp=T&sp=21
The 'standing' collar, and it being a short coat, seems essential.
  • tailleuse likes this

#14 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Looks like a 'vapenrock' in Swedish, which translates into waffenrock in German.
Some examples may be found in this Swedish museum: http://emuseumplus.l...sp=0&sp=F&sp=20
This picture was good: http://emuseumplus.l...sp=F&sp=T&sp=21
The 'standing' collar, and it being a short coat, seems essential.

Thank you. I got an error message with the link, but typed in "vapenrock" into the search screen and got some images.

Every time I see a "Ruritanian Romance" film on TV I look to see if the men are wearing pelisses.

#15 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Thank you. I've seen the film, and it's shown on cable a few times a year. I'll try to catch it. I had thought of this as as a Central/Eastern European military style, but it was/is more widespread.

BTW, if you were responding to me, I'm a woman. smile.gif

Oops! Apologize for that, just an oversight on my part.  Say, what happened to the editor for correcting posts?? :-)

Jeffrey 2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users