#1 RaDo

RaDo

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi all,
I didn't see any topic on bow ties and I thought I ask your opinion on whether bow ties are meant for black-tie, white-tie events only or can be used as neck wear for informal and casual events too?
Also, can bow ties have any other colors than black, white, maroon? Again, I am not referring to formal events, but to informal and casual (street wear and business wear).
Thank you.

#2 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hi all,
I didn't see any topic on bow ties and I thought I ask your opinion on whether bow ties are meant for black-tie, white-tie events only or can be used as neck wear for informal and casual events too?
Also, can bow ties have any other colors than black, white, maroon? Again, I am not referring to formal events, but to informal and casual (street wear and business wear).
Thank you.

RaDo,

Great question, I'll do my best to help. Firstly I would advise you not to pay too much attention to 'rules' for dressing, most of these date from the pre-WW2 period and were never followed by everyone anyway. Concentrate on clothing that fits you and is well made, and makes you feel good.

The only rule I can recall for bowties is for when wearing black-tie i.e. a dinner jacket (tuxedo in US/smoking in France). Then it is normal to wear a bow tie and many people wear a silk one in the same type of silk (grosgrain or satin) as is on the lapel of their dinner jacket. This is perfectly correct, but in my view boring.

There is a whole wealth of gorgeous colours and styles possible in bow ties and here are links to a couple of examples:
UK made
http://www.vanbuck.c...ms/info.php?p=3
http://www.etsy.com/...ref=seller_info
US made
http://www.beautiesltd.com/

#3 Mr Thompson

Mr Thompson

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Ditto the above. To elaborate a bit, formal wear does dictate a bow tie: black for dinner suits, white for dress suits. Other than color (and sometimes fabric, as ladhrann pointed out,) there isn't a limit as to the style or size of the formal bow tie.

But your question was for everyday wear, and the answer is a resounding YES; bow ties can be used for any situation for which one would wear an "ordinary" tie. I don't know what the sartorial climate is in Bucharest, but here in the States wearing bow ties is enjoying quite a nice little renaissance. It cuts a different, more casual look, and frames the face differently, which can be very dashing if done well. When one gets used to a bow, a long tie starts to seem quite cumbersome!

A bow tie can be made of any material an "ordinary" tie can be made, from silk and cotton to wool. They can be unlined, (or nearly so,) which gives a wee little knot, or thickly and lushly lined, which gives a more substantial appearance. There are as many varieties in the shape, size, and style of bows, as there are in long tie knots, to compliment a head of any proportion. And the patterns are as varied as any other tie.

#4 RaDo

RaDo

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

I don't know what the sartorial climate is in Bucharest, but here in the States wearing bow ties is enjoying quite a nice little renaissance.

Thanks for your answers.
Regarding the sartorial climate is in Bucharest... :hmm: it's sad to say that there is no tradition whatsoever regarding formal wear neither for men nor for women. The standard day uniform for men is t-shirt and jeans or two sizes bigger, oddly matched colors and accessories, not to mention the patterns in suits for business or events. The saddest part is that there are no experts or well informed, competent authority men could benefit from.

#5 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for your answers.
Regarding the sartorial climate is in Bucharest... :hmm: it's sad to say that there is no tradition whatsoever regarding formal wear neither for men nor for women. The standard day uniform for men is t-shirt and jeans or two sizes bigger, oddly matched colors and accessories, not to mention the patterns in suits for business or events. The saddest part is that there are no experts or well informed, competent authority men could benefit from.

Don't worry RaDo the situation for menswear and dressing well is much the same everywhere, a few brave individuals doing their best amidst a sea of grimy white tshirts. Bowties used to be and may still be very popular for doctors and dentists as well as unlike a necktie they would not droop into the way during examinations. Thanks to the internet we all have the opportunity to become autodidacts, knowledge learned by self-directed research is always more appreciated than just being told.

Try etsy as well for some very distinctive and colourful bowties in cotton seersucker or other interesting fabrics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users