#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

A forum member gave me a link to an English website that offers a variety of chalk products. Among other things, they offer "sublimating chalk." How is it different from regular chalk, which I understand today is often made from talc?
Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

"Sublimating chalk" is also called "vanishing chalk" and has nothing in common with regular wax or clay products other than leaving marks on fabrics.
It's a purely chemical product, which you will realise once you sharpen the edges and should inhale the powder. Not healthy, I'd say.
The benefit of this version, though, is that the marks will either disappear on their own after a couple of hours or days (different types are available) or instantly when they get in contact with heat and/ or steam.
Still, best to try on a scrap piece of the fabric first, on technical materials (synthetics) the marks may not vanish completely and leave a non removable mark instead.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

"Es gibt keinen Grund mit Erfahrung zu prahlen, denn man kann etwas auch viele Jahre falsch machen!"
"There is no reason to boast of your experience, because it's possible to do things wrong for a long time!"

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

"Sublimating chalk" is also called "vanishing chalk" and has nothing in common with regular wax or clay products other than leaving marks on fabrics.
It's a purely chemical product, which you will realise once you sharpen the edges and should inhale the powder. Not healthy, I'd say.
The benefit of this version, though, is that the marks will either disappear on their own after a couple of hours or days (different types are available) or instantly when they get in contact with heat and/ or steam.
Still, best to try on a scrap piece of the fabric first, on technical materials (synthetics) the marks may not vanish completely and leave a non removable mark instead.

Thanks. I once had some vanishing chalk, which I bought as an experiment.

#4 leedsman1954

leedsman1954

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

"Sublimation" is a term in chemistry which means going directly from the solid to the gaseous state ,missing out the liquid state, which sums up neatly what this chalk does!

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

"Sublimation" is a term in chemistry which means going directly from the solid to the gaseous state ,missing out the liquid state, which sums up neatly what this chalk does!

Thanks. :-)

#6 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

So how come it doesn't work on all materials? On synthetic fibres the chalk often leaves visible marks!

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

"Es gibt keinen Grund mit Erfahrung zu prahlen, denn man kann etwas auch viele Jahre falsch machen!"
"There is no reason to boast of your experience, because it's possible to do things wrong for a long time!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users