544 replies to this topic

#523 MKennys

MKennys

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hello Everyone, My name is Brock and I have been in Bespoke tailoring business since 9 year. I live in Fairfield CA, and I have joined this forum to share my expreience with you guys and learn from you also. I hope my contributions to this forum will help it stay alive and grow.

#524 DjangoV

DjangoV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Clothing, whisky, cigars and history.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hi everyone,

My name is - just as my username – Django, after the gypsy jazz musician Django Reinhardt.

Although I am not in the tailoring or any other clothing related business (I am in accounting/auditing), I recently raised an (above average) interest in clothing. This started out as a journey into overall style, color matching etc. Now I am more and more researching into the aspects of decent fits, which made me re-assess my current wardrobe (and finding out a lot of clothes fit poorly).

While looking into the possibilities of alterations, I realized I can barely re-attach a button (and probably don’t do a very good job at that either) let alone know when something is alterable or not. Therefore I wanted to know more about how alterations are done. For this ofcourse I should firstly learn the basics of sewing, so I plan on taking some courses on this matter. Also I (obviously) applied at this forum :im Not Worthy: 

Oh, and I tend to be a bit long-winded (see above).

Until we meet again…

Django

- If a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing well

- Either God or the Devil is in the details, often even both

#525 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:41 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is - just as my username – Django, after the gypsy jazz musician Django Reinhardt.

Although I am not in the tailoring or any other clothing related business (I am in accounting/auditing), I recently raised an (above average) interest in clothing. This started out as a journey into overall style, color matching etc. Now I am more and more researching into the aspects of decent fits, which made me re-assess my current wardrobe (and finding out a lot of clothes fit poorly).

While looking into the possibilities of alterations, I realized I can barely re-attach a button (and probably don’t do a very good job at that either) let alone know when something is alterable or not. Therefore I wanted to know more about how alterations are done. For this ofcourse I should firstly learn the basics of sewing, so I plan on taking some courses on this matter. Also I (obviously) applied at this forum :im Not Worthy: 

Oh, and I tend to be a bit long-winded (see above).

Until we meet again…

You're not long-winded.  The detail was interesting.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#526 DjangoV

DjangoV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

You're not long-winded.  The detail was interesting.

I forgot to add: I am a sucker for details (guessing it is a must for decent tailoring  :thumbsup: ) and a convicted perfectionist.

Also, I just signed up for a tailoring class here in the neighborhood (community project). It consists of 10 lessons of 2 hours each and consists of learning basic hand stitching, basic machine operating, cutting (i'm guessing not drafting; not sure though) and making a pair of trousers and maybe even a dress shirt. Should be a nice introduction.

Django

#527 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

I forgot to add: I am a sucker for details (guessing it is a must for decent tailoring  :thumbsup: ) and a convicted perfectionist.

Also, I just signed up for a tailoring class here in the neighborhood (community project). It consists of 10 lessons of 2 hours each and consists of learning basic hand stitching, basic machine operating, cutting (i'm guessing not drafting; not sure though) and making a pair of trousers and maybe even a dress shirt. Should be a nice introduction.

It's probably "cutting" in the sense of laying out a pattern on fabric and cutting it out.

#528 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Rory Duffy, a Handcraft Tailor based in NYC. I've been a long time reader and appreciative of some of the content members were kind of enough to share on here. I intend on participating more and sharing any knowledge I have with the members of this community. I look forward to any and all future discussions we may have.

Kind regards,
Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo

Blogspot

#529 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Welcome Rory, I have enjoyed watching the videos of your work.
Cheers,
Terri

#530 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

We have a Golden Shears winner on the forum. Welcome Rory.

#531 DjangoV

DjangoV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

It's probably "cutting" in the sense of laying out a pattern on fabric and cutting it out.

I can now indeed confirm that it's 'just' laying out a pattern and cutting it out, as I have cut all pieces for my dress shirt. Corrections on the pattern have been made for the most common measures (waist, shoulderwidth, arm- and overall length). It was a very rough measure and cut, so I don't expect the shirt to best the best fitting piece I'll ever own. It will suffice for the purpose of this class though (thinking of making a progress thread on it, but might be a little too low level for this forum).

Hello everyone,

My name is Rory Duffy, a Handcraft Tailor based in NYC. I've been a long time reader and appreciative of some of the content members were kind of enough to share on here. I intend on participating more and sharing any knowledge I have with the members of this community. I look forward to any and all future discussions we may have.

Kind regards,
Rory Duffy

Welcome from one new member to another.
Although it seems you are not so 'new' to tailoring as I am (minor understatement :hyper: ) 

...I have enjoyed watching the videos of your work...

I found the 'the making of the coat'-series on youtube. If there are any others, please do share :Praying:

Edited by DjangoV, 30 January 2014 - 06:30 PM.

Django

#532 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hello everyone,

Kind regards,
Rory Duffy

I, too, like your videos very much.

#533 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

Glad to hear so many are enjoying the series. We have taken a short break for the month of January and will be back later this month.
As I am sure you all appreciate there is a lot of work that goes into production one video, we are trying to upload one every week.

Hope to shoot some of my lectures and make them available also.

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo

Blogspot

#534 Karien

Karien

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a Dutch patternmaker, just started. My husband created a wonderful pattern drafting program for me, and the possibilities are endless (however, not my time).

I like to draft patterns and make really good sewing instructions to go with the pattern, I think I can learn heaps on this forum!

#535 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Welkom op ons forum!
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#536 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

Welcome Karien

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo

Blogspot

#537 sergiusz

sergiusz

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Hello everyone. I'm very interested in bespoke tailoring, its history and technicalities. However, first and ultimate judge in all matters of cutting and tailoring is my tailor, butI would also like to extend my theoretical knowledge about this noble, ancient trade. I found the forum very valuable. Hype-free, friendly and informative. 

#538 Monkey

Monkey

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hello to all the members!

I come to this community through an interest in tailored clothing and good solid old-fashioned English cloth.  

Through this, I seem to have acquired a rapidly burgeoning interest in amateur tailoring, and I am faithfully following the guidance given in the apprentices' forum.  I have a short list of amateur tailoring goals and projects, including learning to make alterations and repairs to my suits and making trousers.  

So far the forum has been a mine of information, and I am very glad to be a member.  

Regards

EH

#539 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'm glad I finally realised that I should make a reply here.  This is actually the first forum that I ever joined. The following is about me:

When I was 11 years old I made a wooden toy soldier and asked my mother to make a uniform for it. She gave me a needle and thread.

When I was 19 years my first girlfriend made some clothes using Folkware patterns. I thought,"I could do that."  I became a very unusual medical student. Of course that didn't last so I stopped sewing and medicine.

When I was 28 I found the first shirt that actually fit me, and made such a good copy that I went looking for literature on tailoring and found June Rhinehart's Book.  I also became aware that real books on tailoring were extremely rare to come by and that was not necessarily by accident. This is why I am deeply respectful and grateful for this forum.

I have made dozens of shirts and several trousers both copied and drafted.

At 38 whilst studying Osteopathy in Seattle, I became aware that in the Northern Hemisphere clothing technology was a big deal, you could design clothes to do different things other than simply cover the skin. This may seem strange to some folks but in Australia it is certainly possible to live quite successfully wearing nothing but shorts and sandals all year round.

At 48 I became tired of my usual attire, having fallen out of the habit of sewing and decided to change all that.  I reacquired Rhinehart, bought Cabrera, Coffin, Hostek and Bernhard Roetzel and commissioned myself some business shirts: I have made a career in tailoring peoples insides through manual therapy, manual medicine, osteopathy etc.  I wanted shirts that looked professional yet still had room to move completely.  i have made trouser's as well but being more unhappy with the measured object than the measurements I am holding back on that till I have shrunk down a bit.  I would love ultimately to create a tweed jacket.

I am supremely happy to be allowed to sit in a corner by the fire, so to speak, and observe the immense professionalism displayed in these fora. While I do not work in the industry, I have been asked to sew for others from time to time and my personal philosophy is that I would only sew if I could do it better than I could buy.  I managed that years ago. Above all sewing a garment brings absorption and peace.

#540 Elena I.

Elena I.

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

Hallo all.

Now I'm a  woman coat/ jacket pattern maker in a one Italian company which specialize in “ready to wear” garment  for different fashion houses. Before I’ve been working for 6 years at Moldavian factory like a man suit pattern maker. There was no any tailoring technology… There I met an Italian Taylor who taught me the first steps in tailoring. I liked it very much. Unfortunately nowadays it is very difficult to found information about tailoring methods, particular elements, canvas etc… because most of the garment are very industrial and commercial.  Accidentally I found this space and  I think it's a unique one. I can’t stop reading your forums. There is so much useful  information here!  I hope once I can be able participate on your conversation…about tayloring.

Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users