Welcome Elena!

#542 LCNielsen

LCNielsen

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hi! I'm a 21-year old clothes enthusiast from Sweden, working on a bit of this and that. I have been sewing on and off for a few years; recently, last year, I have gotten more serious, gotten textbooks on tailoring and patternmaking, and started to put serious effort into learning the art of tailoring and clothesmaking. While I don't aspire to be a full-time professional, I do take it as a serious hobby, and as I am chronically ill, I have a lot of free time on my hands. My goal, aimed high, is to be able to, very slowly and carefully, put together a reasonably well-fitting full canvas suit from a custom pattern by the end of the year. I have a lot of supplies, tools, and work daily to improve my skills; and I have 5.65 metres of a pre-shrunk wonderful 120s wool/cashmere blend fabric, for when I feel ready to take on the big challenge (presumably after consuming many, many yards of muslin...). My biggest motivator is that I have unusual tastes and enjoy experimenting with clothes.

Currently, though I am caught up in shirtmaking, and actually I registered to ask a few questions about that (eased seams on complex cuffs, in this case). While I have put together a pretty nice-looking pair of pants (though my pattern needs some adjustment) and could probably make a waistcoat, I figure that I should start making myself comfortable around my equipment with shirts first; especially since I will be using the same basic sloper pattern to draft the jacket. Honestly, I have yet to put together a complete shirt; the body is no problem, but I want to focus on making perfect cuffs and collars before I seriously try to put it all together. My biggest enemy is that I often keep working obsessively even when I am too tired to concentrate; as I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer, this is obviously a recipe for disaster.

My books include "The Practical Guide To: Patternmaking for fashion designers, Menswear", "Classic Tailoring Techniques: A construction Guide for Menswear", and "Shirtmaking: Developing skills for fine sewing."

Well, that's a bit about me. I hope I will enjoy it here!

#543 Alex Ni

Alex Ni

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hi everyone!

My name is Alex Nι. Suddenly find themselves suddenly became interested in cut and sewing men's clothing. Possible by the fact that my grandmother sewed all day , when I looked a little like it's done.

I'm interested in cutting and fabrication of classic British men's suits, and I cut out and started making his first men's jacket.  On your forum a lot of useful information which I read with interest .

I'm not good on knowledge of English and we have to use Google Translate , so I will be more to read the forum and only when necessary to ask.

Edited by Alex Ni, 20 April 2014 - 02:39 AM.

#544 MsTea

MsTea

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi Cutter and Tailor Folks!

I'm completely amazed at what a wonderful resource this website is. I started out doing a quick search for a book on traditional tailoring techniques and ended up spending the better part of my day off browsing this site!

Right now I'm working as an assistant manager in a costume shop at a community college in Michigan.  I love being able to sew every day, even if speed is emphasized over technique for our sort of theater.  As for other experience, I have a BFA in fashion design and a bunch of pattern drafting (flat and draping) and construction classes under my belt.  I also spent a bit of time doing bridal alterations and working as a technical design intern at a womens clothing manufacturer.

I decided that I absolutely had to join this forum because I am looking to upgrade my skills and perhaps find a new direction to go in career wise.  I won't go on with my entire life story here, but I took a 4 year break from sewing/the fashion profession and the older, wiser version of me is looking to get back into the game.

Even though I'm not a total newbie, I still consider myself a beginner here.  The one semester I had in school of tailoring really just showed me how much I don't know.  I made one jacket (pad stitching and all) as part of that class, but I really sort of want to start with the basics again here.  I'm thinking its time that a certain piece of purple wool in my stash becomes a skirt :)

#545 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Welcome, there are a few theatrical tailors here....:)

#546 Anastasia

Anastasia

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hello there,

I have been on this forum for a while now, and I think it is time I introduce myself.

I am a costume maker living in Canada. I work at a repertory theatre as a stitcher on a tailoring team. I am proficient at sewing, but I have only recently (in the past couple of years) begun to pursue tailoring as my primary goal (my goals prior to this being about improving my sewing skills more generally).

I am very grateful that this forum exists, it is a truly amazing resource. I hope to slowly increase my involvement in the forum as I become more skilled at tailoring. And if I ever get the time to make something for myself, I will be sure to post it for help and feedback :)

Thank you very much to everyone who takes part in this forum!

#547 Suuns

Suuns

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Hey!

I'm Suuns , 21 currently studying in a design school in Bangkok. To be honest I found this forum was because I was looking for some tutorials for jacket. And I read through all those "walk before you run" post...... The thing is, I want to major in menswear but the school is really not taking care of this area (they barely make menswear). I have no problem making shirts and trousers I just need to figure out how to do canvasing (my professors don't know how to do it at all) I made some jacket without canvasing, those were just for school project, but I really need to learn something real...so I guess I'm ready to learn how to run!

#548 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

Hey Suun,

Please check out my video series on Vimeo, "The Making of a Coat". It's there to help young people like yourself learn the necessary skills to make handcraft garments.

www.vimeo.com/roryduffy/

Please share it with your friends and colleagues.

Regards,
Rory

Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo

Blogspot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users