Welcome Elena!

#542 LCNielsen

LCNielsen

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hi! I'm a 21-year old clothes enthusiast from Sweden, working on a bit of this and that. I have been sewing on and off for a few years; recently, last year, I have gotten more serious, gotten textbooks on tailoring and patternmaking, and started to put serious effort into learning the art of tailoring and clothesmaking. While I don't aspire to be a full-time professional, I do take it as a serious hobby, and as I am chronically ill, I have a lot of free time on my hands. My goal, aimed high, is to be able to, very slowly and carefully, put together a reasonably well-fitting full canvas suit from a custom pattern by the end of the year. I have a lot of supplies, tools, and work daily to improve my skills; and I have 5.65 metres of a pre-shrunk wonderful 120s wool/cashmere blend fabric, for when I feel ready to take on the big challenge (presumably after consuming many, many yards of muslin...). My biggest motivator is that I have unusual tastes and enjoy experimenting with clothes.

Currently, though I am caught up in shirtmaking, and actually I registered to ask a few questions about that (eased seams on complex cuffs, in this case). While I have put together a pretty nice-looking pair of pants (though my pattern needs some adjustment) and could probably make a waistcoat, I figure that I should start making myself comfortable around my equipment with shirts first; especially since I will be using the same basic sloper pattern to draft the jacket. Honestly, I have yet to put together a complete shirt; the body is no problem, but I want to focus on making perfect cuffs and collars before I seriously try to put it all together. My biggest enemy is that I often keep working obsessively even when I am too tired to concentrate; as I am a rheumatoid arthritis sufferer, this is obviously a recipe for disaster.

My books include "The Practical Guide To: Patternmaking for fashion designers, Menswear", "Classic Tailoring Techniques: A construction Guide for Menswear", and "Shirtmaking: Developing skills for fine sewing."

Well, that's a bit about me. I hope I will enjoy it here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users