#559 Simeon54

Simeon54

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

Hello all,

My name is Simeon. I'm not entirely sure what to call myself. For many years, I worked as a machinist and pattern cutter to high end fashion labels in the UK and Paris. I am now based in Amsterdam, having taken my Masters degree in fashion design here and am currently working on design projects with a mind to start my own label at some point. I am essentially self taught, although that actually translates into my apprenticing myself to various people to learn as much as I could, including my late best friend and mentor Jenny Sharp, a graduate of the RCA, London, from the early sixties, who worked briefly for Ozzie Clark. She taught me the basics of women's tailoring, and everything I know about moulage (draping patterns direct on the stand). 

If you want to see what I've been up to, you can see it here:

http://www.simeonmorris.com

There is also some work there from my partner who recently made a collection of menswear inspired by Chanel. Not perhaps for the traditional of heart, but very interesting. We are both working with gender, and gender representation in fashion and clothing design.

Well, I'm happy to have found this place. It is a gold mine!

I look forward to joining in, as the time allows it.

Greetings!

Edited by Simeon54, 17 December 2014 - 04:26 AM.

• tailleuse and cperry like this

#560 rubberbubble

rubberbubble

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Art, design, craftmenship and always the deep need to discover and learn how and why things work like they do.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

After quite a while of just reading and „using“ this forum, it is now time to say „hello“, I think. And: to say a big „Thank you“ to the makers and those who actively make this knowledge base growing. I feel like in the land of milk and honey here, having found an answer to almost every question or problem I had.

It is quite a little fetish of me to study and compare different pattern cutting systems. As the main part of my work is pattern making, I can use this knowledge and make it experience.

Not to forget one point: craftsmanship. I have finished my apprenticeship as dressmaker in 1996 in Dresden (Germany). Only me and 5 others out of 12 apprentices learned in handicraft enterprises (throughout Saxony). Only one of them was a tailor, the others where dressmakers. I was lucky to have a tailor al colleague back then. She often showed me differences between tailoring and dressmaking and so I got an insight in tailoring as well. Well, I was more interested in pattern making at this time ;)

Then in my fashion design studies only 5 out of 10 have been dressmaker/tailor before (here again only 1 tailor). The tailoring profession unfortunately is dying off. Isn't it? Even traditional skilled dressmakers are rare nowadays. I can tell from my experience, that most freshly finished dressmakers (trained at schools only) have poor manual skills and not even a sense or an eye for quality, which makes it very hard to exchange experiences.

The more I appreciate this forum here as a place of education as well as exchange and data base.

I hope, one day I can do my bit and bring in some of my experiences here.

• MANSIE WAUCH, tailleuse, Alfye and 4 others like this

#561 sartorialbay

sartorialbay

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for your warm welcome here. Its glad to have forum like this.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#562 kelleylester

kelleylester

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hello all for the overly casual U.S. Thank you for just having this forum! Why am I here? I'm a "home sewer" who has been trudging along for over 25 years with instructions from commercial patterns and other hobbyist books. After ten years in a cottage business, and being overly tired of my work not looking like it does in my head, I am looking for instruction in traditional and time honored techniques to make my work look, well, professional. Most of my experience does come from "off topic" and "no-no" sources, I mostly make costumes and corsets,however the things that are the hardest for me are the things with time honored traditions. I can't make a men's coat collar lay correctly to save my life, pants twist on me, not knowing the layers of a jacket makes all my jackets look like lumpy, unstructured messes. 

• tailleuse, Henry Hall and ChiTownTailor like this

#563 Cooter_Brown

Cooter_Brown

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Hello everyone. I found this forum through a Google search trying to learn to make an old coat fit better. I had no intentions of making clothes of any kind, merely wanted to wear this coat again. The thread I fell upon was the "Learning to Tailor by Self Tuition", and after reading through it I decided to not only join the forum but to follow the sage advice and put my beloved coat aside and start with a pair of trousers. I am now extremely excited to start reading everything I can here and make my first pair. So thank you to everyone who has taken the time to add their knowledge to this immense database for everyone to benefit. I hope to be able to contribute some of my own knowledge soon.

• tailleuse, cperry, ChiTownTailor and 1 other like this

#564 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

☝️SEMPER FI !
Nice to have a Marine onboard!☝️

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 20 February 2015 - 07:46 AM.

• kelleylester and Cooter_Brown like this

#565 Cooter_Brown

Cooter_Brown

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thank you, it's nice to be here. I have been browsing for a few hours now and I have read about fabric, thimbles, stitching, buttonholes, drafts and measurements. I still feel like I just jumped into the deep end without looking. But I think I have noticed who the top dogs are around here from the posts and have noticed that members here are truly helpful and willing to devote time and effort to help those willing to put in the same work on their end. Which is a nice change of pace from many other fora out there.  

• tailleuse, ChiTownTailor and kelleylester like this

#566 JohnSP

JohnSP

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hello everybody! This is Mansie Wauch! I have rejoined under a new name because I made a silly blunder on my computer while running a diagnostic programme. I wiped out every password on my computer, and have had to start all over again, picking up the pieces. Of course, I could not use my old name, because the forum keeps telling me the name is already in use.

So there you have it.

Edited by JohnSP, 25 February 2015 - 09:42 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#567 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

You are most welcome back Mansie, I would not like to think that we might miss your contributions.  

As a matter of fact, I forgot my password several months ago and found myself logged out.  I was in a dreadful panic and could not contact anyone at all.

In the end after three days it dawned upon me again and I was back in.  I was surprised how much enjoyment I was getting out of the forum and the panic I felt being shut out.

• MANSIE WAUCH likes this

"Nothing Improves Intuition Like Knowledge"

#568 marco.ebasta

marco.ebasta

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hello everybody

My name is Marco from Italy. I have been reading the forum for several months and I find it incredible.

I want to say thank you to the people who have worked so hard to share the art of tailoring on the web.

Greetings

• Alkoreiel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users