593 replies to this topic

#577 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

Pap may well be a very apt acronym in some cases.

#578 Moahiek

Moahiek

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi Everyone!

This is Robbie and after reading many pages of this site have finally decided to join!  I am in the garment business as a product development manager mainly doing ladies and childrenswear.  I have always been very interested in men'swear (so i can finally wear stuff i make) and the art of tailoring is undoubtedly the most fascinating and now i know, demanding.    

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes to these forums!

-Robbie

• tailleuse, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#579 PollyM

PollyM

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hello,

I am Polly from Scotland and I've decided to become a member after reading the site for some time as a guest.

My background in Product Design but have become increasingly focused on textile and garment design. I've been teaching myself tailoring and patternmaking techniques from books ond online sources for a few years now.

I look forward to joining in the discussion with you all.

Polly

• tailleuse, Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#580 Marie

Marie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

I thought of that, but wondered why she didn't use "RTW", which means Ready To Wear, which is much more common.  I just did a quick Google Search and they appear to be synonymous.

Hi again,sorry for delay.
In Poland it's common to say 'coś z wieszaka'(literally sth off the rack),this is why I'm used to that form. I didn't expect it to be so confusing though. 

• tailleuse, Schneiderfrei and Kimberly like this

#581 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Marie - don't worry about it. 35 years ago at university here in the states, studying retail merchandising, tailoring and touring the NYC offices of companies like Hartz, Schaffner and Marx, among others - the common terminology of the time was, "Off the Rack" - OTR.

When I began to use the internet a few years ago to "up my skills" it took me a bit to realize RTW and OTR are the same thing. No biggie.

Edited by SPOOKIETOO, 21 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#582 lance

lance

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

Hello cutters and tailors,

To introduce myself, I first bought a sewing machine to upholster some chairs, got the bug and started making clothes. I also now have five sewing machines...

I've been reading this forum for some time now, and I can say that it is quite unique in it's seriousness of approach. My kind of forum ! Many thanks to all the regular contributors, you have certainly taught me a lot.

Lance

#583 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Hi again,sorry for delay.
In Poland it's common to say 'coś z wieszaka'(literally sth off the rack),this is why I'm used to that form. I didn't expect it to be so confusing though. 

It was the abbreviation that confused me. I Googled "OTR" and didn't see an explanation. "Off the Rack" is not a term I've heard used.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#584 lewisblank

lewisblank

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

good morning from London, i have had to create a new name for this forum i used to post under lewis-davies so if someone could help me out i would perceive it :) 

#585 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

I forgot my password once, made me realise how much I got out of this forum. 3 days until it popped back into my head.

"Nothing Improves Intuition Like Knowledge"

#586 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

It seems Sator is back ? !
Or maybe he just never left :-)

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 10 May 2015 - 02:55 AM.

• tailleuse likes this
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

#587 msulli99

msulli99

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

Happy to have found the community! There is nothing better that a finely tailored pant! Looking forward to learning & sharing tips!

Mary 

#588 Jussi

Jussi

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

Greetings to everyone,

I'm Jussi Häkkinen, head designer and head buyer for Ab Suomen Herrainpukimo Oy, located in Turku, Finland, founded in 11.11.11. Our shop is a classic gentlemen's haberdashery. We mainly specialize in made to measure -items, although we hope to open our bespoke line in the future as well.

Having a company in a country that doesn't have a strong sartorial tradition has its perks and hindrances, although it certainly forces us to really focus on our customers.

Personally, I do quite a bit sewing - both alterations and prototypes - and drafting and wish to learn my trade even better via the discussions in these forums.

Edited by Jussi, 19 May 2015 - 06:00 PM.

• tailleuse, jeffrey2117 and Schneiderfrei like this

#589 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Welcome aboard, Jussi.

#590 Hanna

Hanna

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

Well, I'm back here after a long break from all things needle and thread. Just catching up on alterations and repairs whilst adjusting a commercial trouser pattern to ease myself back into it. 

I'm going to be without my fabric and supplies for a few months as I'm emigrating to The Hague and staying in transit accommodation whilst all my worldly goods are shipped over in a container. Therefore I'll make a few dresses for my three month old niece whilst I'm waiting so I can practice my stitches before seeing what a fluff I can make of the trousers!

Good to be back on the forum and even better to be stabbing myself with needles again. :)

Edited by Hanna, 08 June 2015 - 01:10 AM.

#591 shadoman

shadoman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Years ago, (44 to be exact,) I was an apprentice fitter/tailor at a menswear shop as part of a co-operative education program at my high school.

Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, I never got to finish my apprenticeship. I've forgotten a lot of my training over the years, but retained much also, so I'm here to see if I'm up to the challenge of making myself better. 

I've made a lot of clothing over the years, and altered my share of OTR suits, but I've never made a complete suit.

Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to recind that statement.  :)

• Hanna, tailleuse, cperry and 1 other like this

#592 87laia

87laia

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:07 AM

Good night, I am Eulalia from Spain. I have just came across this forum and found it very interested. I studied patternmaking years ago, and now I am making my own clothes and the same for my daughter. 

Happy to have found the community!

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#593 necchi

necchi

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

Hi everybody

I’m self tooth seamstress/tailor, 45. Live and work in New York. Used to work in bridal, costume and now for high end  fashion brand in sample room. If you seen Heidi Klum Halloween costume or last Miss USA universe, I had fingers in both of them

#594 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:00 PM

Welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users