588 replies to this topic

#577 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

Pap may well be a very apt acronym in some cases.

#578 Moahiek

Moahiek

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi Everyone!

This is Robbie and after reading many pages of this site have finally decided to join!  I am in the garment business as a product development manager mainly doing ladies and childrenswear.  I have always been very interested in men'swear (so i can finally wear stuff i make) and the art of tailoring is undoubtedly the most fascinating and now i know, demanding.    

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes to these forums!

-Robbie

• tailleuse, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#579 PollyM

PollyM

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hello,

I am Polly from Scotland and I've decided to become a member after reading the site for some time as a guest.

My background in Product Design but have become increasingly focused on textile and garment design. I've been teaching myself tailoring and patternmaking techniques from books ond online sources for a few years now.

I look forward to joining in the discussion with you all.

Polly

• tailleuse, Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#580 Marie

Marie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

I thought of that, but wondered why she didn't use "RTW", which means Ready To Wear, which is much more common.  I just did a quick Google Search and they appear to be synonymous.

Hi again,sorry for delay.
In Poland it's common to say 'coś z wieszaka'(literally sth off the rack),this is why I'm used to that form. I didn't expect it to be so confusing though. 

• tailleuse, Schneiderfrei and Kimberly like this

#581 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

Marie - don't worry about it. 35 years ago at university here in the states, studying retail merchandising, tailoring and touring the NYC offices of companies like Hartz, Schaffner and Marx, among others - the common terminology of the time was, "Off the Rack" - OTR.

When I began to use the internet a few years ago to "up my skills" it took me a bit to realize RTW and OTR are the same thing. No biggie.

Edited by SPOOKIETOO, 21 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#582 lance

lance

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

Hello cutters and tailors,

To introduce myself, I first bought a sewing machine to upholster some chairs, got the bug and started making clothes. I also now have five sewing machines...

I've been reading this forum for some time now, and I can say that it is quite unique in it's seriousness of approach. My kind of forum ! Many thanks to all the regular contributors, you have certainly taught me a lot.

Lance

#583 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Hi again,sorry for delay.
In Poland it's common to say 'coś z wieszaka'(literally sth off the rack),this is why I'm used to that form. I didn't expect it to be so confusing though. 

It was the abbreviation that confused me. I Googled "OTR" and didn't see an explanation. "Off the Rack" is not a term I've heard used.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#584 lewisblank

lewisblank

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

good morning from London, i have had to create a new name for this forum i used to post under lewis-davies so if someone could help me out i would perceive it :) 

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#585 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:28 PM

I forgot my password once, made me realise how much I got out of this forum. 3 days until it popped back into my head.

"Nothing Improves Intuition Like Knowledge"

#586 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

It seems Sator is back ? !
Or maybe he just never left :-)

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 10 May 2015 - 02:55 AM.

• tailleuse likes this
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

#587 msulli99

msulli99

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

Happy to have found the community! There is nothing better that a finely tailored pant! Looking forward to learning & sharing tips!

Mary 

#588 Jussi

Jussi

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

Greetings to everyone,

I'm Jussi Häkkinen, head designer and head buyer for Ab Suomen Herrainpukimo Oy, located in Turku, Finland, founded in 11.11.11. Our shop is a classic gentlemen's haberdashery. We mainly specialize in made to measure -items, although we hope to open our bespoke line in the future as well.

Having a company in a country that doesn't have a strong sartorial tradition has its perks and hindrances, although it certainly forces us to really focus on our customers.

Personally, I do quite a bit sewing - both alterations and prototypes - and drafting and wish to learn my trade even better via the discussions in these forums.

Edited by Jussi, 19 May 2015 - 06:00 PM.

• tailleuse, jeffrey2117 and Schneiderfrei like this

#589 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:56 AM

Welcome aboard, Jussi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users