#613 diana.orange

diana.orange

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

I am a tailor and fashion designer from Germany. After my apprenticeship as a tailer I studied fashion design engineering. My studies were a mixture between pattern cutting, a  good workmanship, technical drawings for the industry and fashion design. I am very interested in high quality garments and the perfect fit. I am mostly interested in womenswear, but only because menswear seems a lot more difficult. At the moment I am making a pattern for a shirt (menswear, classic). During my search for some fit information (yoke construction / shoulder dart / armhole) I found this interesting forum and registered. Hopefully I can exchange some information here with people who are also interested in pattern construction.

Best Regards,

Diana

• cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#614 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

Welcome, welcome, Diana. Reinforcement for the ladies front!
But honestly
......I am mostly interested in womenswear, but only because menswear seems a lot more difficult....
are you joking? Okay, I accept : seems
lg
posaune
  • peterle, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#615 jpajot

jpajot

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Cratsmanship, technical and industrial heritage conservation, anthropology of techniques, sewing and weaving techniques

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hello,

It is great to be a member of this community. So many impressive ressources.

I have been trained as a draper in Paris some 10 years ago but have been working in studios instead of workshops and more and more in processes, product development and collection management etc. than cultivating the craft.

The fingers are tickling though and I wish to regain some skills and not only on draping but also in the much needed pattern-making skills.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#616 Architect

Architect

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Hello there,

First, I'm not a tailor, just a mid/late-20s dude trying to pick up a useful skill in my spare time. I've been doing my research on the craft for some time now and thought it was about time I joined this forum to kickstart things a little. 

I'm awaiting the delivery of a copy of Cabrera's Classic Tailoring Techniques for Menswear, and hope to embark developing the basic skills and then my first attempt at crafting a pair of trousers thereafter. 

You may be wondering why I chose to pursue the craft, and the most simple answer is that I have a great appreciation for the bespoke process. As a member of the architectural profession, I have a tremendous respect for creating and detailing one-off items for a specific individual. Tailoring seems the perfect fit as a hobby for someone of my background.

My tailoring goals for 2016 (how realistic they are, only time will tell) are to successfully craft a well fitting pair of trousers and maybe even a waistcoat by the end of the year.

I look forward to sharing the forum with you all on my journey. Any beginner advice would, of course, be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jake L. L.

:thumbsup:

• tailleuse, cperry, ChiTownTailor and 1 other like this

#617 AmyW

AmyW

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:42 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a third year costume student with a strong interest in tailoring and am hoping to progress in that direction (i.e. bespoke/fashion tailoring) rather than working as a general costume maker. I'm currently working on one of my final pieces for my exhibition (in April) which is a replica (or as close as I can get) of a Tommy Nutter suit made for Ringo Starr, although where the methods I'm being taught fall between theatrical and fashion tailoring, I couldn't tell you. Once I graduate, I'm planning on working in theatre for a while to gain some experience and fill up my CV (as well as earn some money), whilst also undertaking some form of class or other instruction in bespoke tailoring, before looking for an apprentice position in London. My ultimate ambition is to move abroad and open my own bespoke tailoring company. Very glad to be a part of this forum - I only found it yesterday and it's already been endlessly helpful!

Looking forward to learning from you all,

Amy

• tailleuse, Measure Man and cperry like this

#618 Mars Atratus

Mars Atratus

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hello all,

I just found this forum recently and I am very excited to absorb all I can.

I have been sewing on and off for a while now, but especially in the last few years. I used my first pattern 2 years ago, and made a few dresses for my daughter. There was a pretty steep learning curve, since I didn't know the symbols or lingo yet, but I pushed on determined to make something I could be proud of. Since then I have made shirts, a romper for my wife, bags, and Halloween costumes. I am comfortable with machine sewing and just started to clean and repair machines for myself and friends. But, I never really gave hand sewing much time.

My great-grandfather John DiMario was trained in Torino, Italy as a tailor, and taught children the art in rural Italy. He taught his son and daughter, my Great-Uncle and Grandmother. My Grandmother on the other side of my family was also a dressmaker. This has given me the determination to move forward. I regret not having the time to visit my Great-Uncle before his passing last year and learn from a Master. I live in rural Ohio and there's not much for tailors around here, so this forum will serve me well until I can find someone to apprentice under. I have started to learn using a thimble and I am ready to spend hours and hours and hours working out the basics.

I thank you all in advance for your knowledge and time. It is a great tragedy that this art is dying and I hope to continue to carry the flame.

Cheers!
Mars Atratus
  • tailleuse, ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#619 phwriter11

phwriter11

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

I am a Multimedia artist-photographer-entrepreneur who got frustrated with expensive commercial clothes with sizes that doesn't fit my frame. Most of the time my sewing skills are used for alterations and DIY craft projects. So I decided  to  learn how to make my own  wardrobe, starting with the basic foundations. But things don't happen overnight.  I need to read and understand more about darts, nips, tucks, patternmaking and everything there is about the classic tailored styles of fashion. I look forward to learning more from the Cutter and Tailor community.

#620 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi everyone. I'm planning to introduce myself properly at a later date, with some photos of my work (I'm a hobbyist - just completed my first suit). But I have a question right now - Is there a forum or open location where I can ask general technical questions, e.g. for site support etc? If not, could somebody please create one? There are various Help topics about, but they all seem to be locked. Thanks! :D

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Manners Maketh Man.

#621 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

You can post stuff except coats in the apprentice section SpaceMonkey.

• SpaceMonkey likes this

Me zo ganet e-kreiz ar mor 
Teir leo er-maez

#622 oyew

oyew

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hello.

Glad to be here.
My name Oyek, from indonesia.
I work in little tailor in local country. Its hard to find a tailoring mentor there
So, thank you for accepting me here

Regard
  • Schneiderfrei and Andriano like this

#623 CTCortez

CTCortez

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a strong admiration for the craft we are all here for. One day when I retire, I would love to be in my quiet place making shirts and suits etc. I have 30 years till then, so hopefully I have enough time to learn and develop. However, I am starting from scratch...

Cheers,
Christopher
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#624 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

G'day Y'all,

Allow my briefest of introductions. I'm simply AL. Textile craft is all new to me. My background is metal, hot or cold. Perhaps it odd a blade and blacksmith finds his way here, but I am in humble awe of the craft here spoken of, and the of skills I see written. So much so I'm respectfully bold enough to open my fool mouth to say hello and to say how grateful that time is taken to selflessly share another gentle craft.

Hello Y'all. Thank you. Best rgds, AL
  • cperry, Schneiderfrei and SpaceMonkey like this

#625 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Gentle craft!? I thought you beat metal if you're a black Smith.

Tailors are not so kind either. To the cloth we torcher it with needles and pins. We cut it. Take hot heavy weights and put on it. Steam it. Stretch and shrink it. Reminds me of the medieval dungeons with torture chambers.
  • cperry, ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#626 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:14 AM

Sir:

Persuassion comes in many forms, true. A backpackers mantra of "It's not the destination as much as it's the journey" applies.

And as a heavy-industry bull-ganger old-school fire-breathing millwright, gentle is relative to condition :} My professional project gigs were once described by a mentor many years ago as a desperate attempt to manage chaos. Google youtube ladle spill or hot strip mill cobble, zumB. Please pardon an out of context reference included only for example.

Funny how fumbling with these tiny needles practicing stitches is kicking my...for now. Thanks loads to all for orchestrating Practical Tailoring in PDF for personal study. ..Baby steps, er uh, stitches is my current path...practice, practice, practice..Rgds.
  • ChiTownTailor likes this

#627 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

OK, introductions are long overdue...

Hello everyone. I'm a guy from Australia who has become interested in this area. I love your site, and greatly wish to participate in the discussions here. I would like to submit my application for Advanced Apprentice status.

Please find following a link to a gallery of my work. I will be adding some annotations to the images when I have time. Most of what I'm wearing in the pictures was made by me.

http://imgur.com/a/s0HTI

I'm currently working on my fourth coat (single breasted in herringbone woolen) using a mix of techniques from Cabrera & Hostek (as well as extra methods I've gleaned from this site & other sources such as Rory Duffy's videos).

I welcome criticism, but please be aware that I'm an amateur sewist with no professional aspirations.

Thank you all for your time.  :D

• nickh likes this

Manners Maketh Man.

#628 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

Cool

• SpaceMonkey likes this

Me zo ganet e-kreiz ar mor 
Teir leo er-maez

#629 techne

techne

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:learning traditional and couture tailoring techniques and drafting my own garments (not fashion designing), finding the perfect fit

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

Dear forum members,

I am a 25 year old student (philosophy/german) from Germany. Therefore I am not a professional tailor in any way and don´t plan to become one. Nevertheless I am interested in almost everything regarding classic tailoring. A few months ago I began reading about tailoring and constructing and after that started making my first drafts. Before that, all I tried to were some "own clothes" with commercial patterns from Burda, but was quickly getting frustrated about miserable fitting, hence I decided, that this is not the way I want to work. The way I want to work is: starting from the very beginning and learning systematically how to do it right.

The resources I am working with are some of the recommended, but also other books (Cabrera womens/men, Claire Shaeffer, Hofenbitzer part 1 and 2, D.P. Coffin trousers, lots of the literature posted here, etc.), some proper tools and resources (industrial stitching machine, mid-weight domestic steam iron, tailor's ham, sleeve board etc.). I also have a very motivated partner, who aspires to one day make a living out of his self-taught knowledge of tailoring. Mainly I work on women's garments, while being also interested in men's traditional tailoring and cutting as I try to adapt those - as I see them - more sophisticated techniques.

I hope I will soon be able to share some images (I just need to take some pictures and find out how to upload on my profile) of my recent work (first self-drafted skirt with hofenbitzer, one of the finished ones tailored like cabrera recommends, first tries on a trouser draft -> of course, criticism ist always welcome and appreciated). Hopefully I can contribute something to the forum, although I am an absolute beginner. If I have any interesting resources at hand, I am of course willing to share it as far as copyright allows.

I want to thank everyone, who contributes here, keeping the forum as alive as it is. Also thank you very much for all the interesting information and literature you are sharing.

Best regards

#630 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:04 AM

I would like to submit my application for Advanced Apprentice status.

Let's keep it real; Judging from the pics, you are yet a far cry from being anything near an advanced apprentice of tailoring, just saying!
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users