645 replies to this topic

#631 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Let's keep it real; Judging from the pics, you are yet a far cry from being anything near an advanced apprentice of tailoring, just saying!

OK, well I was just hoping to join the discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe you could show us some pictures of your work, so I can learn from them?

Edited by SpaceMonkey, 12 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Manners Maketh Man.

#632 ScarletSwordfish

ScarletSwordfish

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hi, I'm Swordfish. I'm just a beginner at sewing, but I'd like to be able to make jackets eventually, at least for myself.

#633 nickh

nickh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hello All,

I am a trainee tailor currently studying a City & Guilds in Tailoring in the UK. Ive just discovered this forum and hope to learn much more from your good selves. I am currently working on a pair of trousers from the Gareth Kershaw book "men's pattern cutting". I am working on a pair of high waisted trousers with right angled pockets (welt). If anyone has any advice on the right angeld pockets that would be most helpful

Nick

• tailleuse likes this

#634 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

Hello All,

I am working on a pair of high waisted trousers with right angled pockets (welt). If anyone has any advice on the right angeld pockets that would be most helpful

Nick

Welcome.  Here's a good thread on jetted pockets started by the forum's founder, Sartor. Incidentally, depending on the country and the context, e.g., menswear or womenswear, this pocket is known by several names: "jetted," "piped," "welt," "besom," and "slashed." If you meant something else, let us know.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#635 crazy1503

crazy1503

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Ali and Im in Perth, Australia. Ive been handsewing since I was very young, and made clothes here and there through my 20s. When I had my first child 3 years ago I was horrified by how quick kids grow out of clothing. I have a very old sewing book that explains how to draft and make clothing that can be taken in and out and up and down for consecutive children - and since then I have been making and designing clothing for children. Old patterns are lovely, new ones are absolute rubbish - they fit kids badly and are constructed assuming the sewer knows nothing.

I have had so many requests for womens clothing and alterations that I decided to move into vintage style womenswear - namely womens business suits as there appears to be absolutely noone here that makes them. No womens tailors exist here in Perth. If Im going to make something I want it to be of quality good enough that you can wear it for the rest of your life - hence Ive begun teaching myself tailoring. If anyone knows any good tailoring courses in Australia Id love to know about them!

I find things such as bound buttonholes and invisible hand sewing easy - Im used to doing much more difficult embroidery etc. Pattern drafting I have done on kids clothes, suits and coats, but fitting women is a big challenge! Im used to using much small amounts of expensive fabric that using large amounts for just one outfit seems scary!

#636 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:48 AM

I used to write with Ann-Michelle (Annie) Grose

http://designerstitch.com.au

long time ago. Interesting discussions and interesting woman. She worked for Indutry and later opened her own school.
lg
posaune

#637 crazy1503

crazy1503

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thankyou Posuane! Im probably going to have to head over east for an intensive training course at some time, Ill get in contact with Annie to discuss options. I love the idea of her fabric shopping tours!!

#638 Ela

Ela

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi! I'm a dressmaker, running a business of my own. Decades ago I was a fashion designer in the apparel industry, but that wasn't for me. I'm devoted to arts and grafts. My main interests are pattern design and bespoke tailoring. 

• Henry Hall, Schneiderfrei and Evahk like this

#639 Wheresthecorporal

Wheresthecorporal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm Jay, I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I am very much at an entry level to sewing.
I will be attending a number of courses over the next 6 months to get me started with the basics and eventually move into some more advanced techniques.

My interest in tailoring was sparked when I had my first fitting in Berensen's Tailor Shop in Melbourne for a Uniform Tunic, as a collector of all things that relate to dress uniforms (buttons, patches, belts etc) I have always had an interest and appreciation for the skill and effort required to produce these garments.
I stumbled upon cutterandtailor.com after searching and finding patterns for RAF Greatcoats and Officer Dress Tunics for a research task at school.

Although ultimately I feel that I would like to enter the industry and become a tailor, I'm going to hold on that idea until I've seen more of the industry and experienced more of the difficulty and patience involved, as I said I'm only at an entry level and I'm not setting goals too high just yet.

I aim to learn to produce a number of unique items later on when I've developed my skills such as Kilts & Plaids, Greatcoats, Dress Uniform Tunics & Trousers/Skirts, Mess Kit, Cloaks and possibly head dress such as Peaked Caps and Forage/Garrison Caps.
And if the possibility exists I'd be interested in learning to work with fur felt to produce items such as Slouch Hats & Bicorns/Tricorns.

I'm looking forward to engaging with the community here.

#640 Sylvain

Sylvain

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hello Ladies and Gentlemans ! 

My name is Sylvain, I'm 24 years old and I'm from France, I'm really excited about the idea of reading all of the fantastic informations I will find in this forum, I've always been fascinated by tailored clothes, but unfortunately I don't have the budget to wear what I would like to  

The good news is that it can be really easy to find used jacket and trousers with a great quality for a really small price, but Sometimes it's a bit too large, sometimes a bit too small, and this is why I'm here ! 

I have basics sewing and patronning skills, With some hours of learning and mistakes,  I have been able to make a brand new suede interior for a classic car I own .

Thank you very much for this gold mine of informations, I can't wait to start ! ( I just bought a woolen blazer that needs a bit of waist suppression ! )  

#641 WrongPlanet

WrongPlanet

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:computers, open source software, maths, science fiction and all things geek - plus well-made clothes that fit comfortably

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for quite a while and found so many helpful instructions that I have decided to join. A big thank you to everyone who contributes to this treasure of knowledge!

Though I have been sewing on and off for more than 20 years, I am still very much of a newbie. With lots of deliberate practice I hope to eventually make my own suits and finally wear elegant garments that acutally fit.

#642 Evahk

Evahk

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hi!
I'm Eva, from Norway. I have sewn since I was a young teenager and now have a degree in Fashion and Textile Design and have worked as a product assistant in fast fashion for a couple of years. I am on maternity leave now and I am hoping to be able to take the leap to be self employed as a dressmaker/artist/textile designer. I am good enough at sewing to know how little I actually know. 

You can check out my website www.evakittelsen.com. The portfolio is not complete at all (the website is a bit new, and we've moved and all my pictures are in different computers and hard drives.. need to sit down some day and sort all that out... ) It also has a blog, some in norwegian and some in English. 

I hope this forum can help and motivate me to take my sewing to the next level. 

Edit: If you check out my blog you will also see that I was a finalist in the Norwegian version of "the great british sewing bee". I didn't think of that as too relevant in a professional forum.. but I guess it kind of is. 

Edit 2: @evakittelsen on instagram

Edited by Evahk, 01 July 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#643 dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

My name is Marco, living in British Columbia, Canada. I'm just accumulating information. I'm excited to start a pair of trouser. I've taken apart some pairs that don't fit, and am using the fabric to practice my stitches. I have never sewn before. I can see I have a lot to learn.

#644 E.K.Papp

E.K.Papp

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

Dear All, I am Christina from Greece. Considering that I should plan my life as a houswife as from now on, decided to pick up a set of new knowledge and skills: sewing. I am extremely happy and greatful for all the posting members for their transfer of knowledge. Thank you for all as well as for the founding member. God bless you all.

#645 Futura

Futura

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Dressmaking/designing, drafting methods and theory

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

Hello everyone,

​I've been spending a great deal of time reading and studying this forum, and have decided to take the plunge and join!

I am a dressmaker/designer launching my own business. Many thanks to those who have developed this webpage and taken the time to share their knowledge! It is very much appreciated. :)

My grandmother worked for a tailor many, many decades ago in Germany. She was a master at sewing (amongst many other things) but sadly I never had the chance to sit down and study under her.

#646 Maxyards

Maxyards

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:07 AM

Hi all,

Max here from The Netherlands! I've been a reader on this forum for quite some time. I always end up here for reading about how to make patterns, how to sew a shirt and how to sew a flat fell seam for example. Sewing is what I do next to my fulltime job, so I don't have all the time in the world to spend on sewing unfortunately. My main focus is sewing shirts and I'm going to start with jeans/pleated trousers. Jeans will be especially the selvedge ones, with a straight side seam.

Shirt are more focused on button downs. My mission is to get that perfect oxford shirt ready.

Main challenges I face at the moment:

• Getting the right shirt pattern for myself
  • Flat felling the armscye seam. Still figuring out how I fold the fabric at the top part, so I enclose the fabric from the body.
  • Getting the perfect collar, which does not 'overhang' but is in line with the front plackets.

I'll definitely post my shirt projects and probably need lots of help from you! :)

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users