653 replies to this topic

#631 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Umsie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

Let's keep it real; Judging from the pics, you are yet a far cry from being anything near an advanced apprentice of tailoring, just saying!

OK, well I was just hoping to join the discussion. Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe you could show us some pictures of your work, so I can learn from them?

Edited by SpaceMonkey, 12 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Manners Maketh Man.

#632 ScarletSwordfish

ScarletSwordfish

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hi, I'm Swordfish. I'm just a beginner at sewing, but I'd like to be able to make jackets eventually, at least for myself.

#633 nickh

nickh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:02 AM

Hello All,

I am a trainee tailor currently studying a City & Guilds in Tailoring in the UK. Ive just discovered this forum and hope to learn much more from your good selves. I am currently working on a pair of trousers from the Gareth Kershaw book "men's pattern cutting". I am working on a pair of high waisted trousers with right angled pockets (welt). If anyone has any advice on the right angeld pockets that would be most helpful

Nick

• tailleuse likes this

#634 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

Hello All,

I am working on a pair of high waisted trousers with right angled pockets (welt). If anyone has any advice on the right angeld pockets that would be most helpful

Nick

Welcome.  Here's a good thread on jetted pockets started by the forum's founder, Sartor. Incidentally, depending on the country and the context, e.g., menswear or womenswear, this pocket is known by several names: "jetted," "piped," "welt," "besom," and "slashed." If you meant something else, let us know.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#635 crazy1503

crazy1503

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Ali and Im in Perth, Australia. Ive been handsewing since I was very young, and made clothes here and there through my 20s. When I had my first child 3 years ago I was horrified by how quick kids grow out of clothing. I have a very old sewing book that explains how to draft and make clothing that can be taken in and out and up and down for consecutive children - and since then I have been making and designing clothing for children. Old patterns are lovely, new ones are absolute rubbish - they fit kids badly and are constructed assuming the sewer knows nothing.

I have had so many requests for womens clothing and alterations that I decided to move into vintage style womenswear - namely womens business suits as there appears to be absolutely noone here that makes them. No womens tailors exist here in Perth. If Im going to make something I want it to be of quality good enough that you can wear it for the rest of your life - hence Ive begun teaching myself tailoring. If anyone knows any good tailoring courses in Australia Id love to know about them!

I find things such as bound buttonholes and invisible hand sewing easy - Im used to doing much more difficult embroidery etc. Pattern drafting I have done on kids clothes, suits and coats, but fitting women is a big challenge! Im used to using much small amounts of expensive fabric that using large amounts for just one outfit seems scary!

#636 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:48 AM

I used to write with Ann-Michelle (Annie) Grose

http://designerstitch.com.au

long time ago. Interesting discussions and interesting woman. She worked for Indutry and later opened her own school.
lg
posaune

#637 crazy1503

crazy1503

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thankyou Posuane! Im probably going to have to head over east for an intensive training course at some time, Ill get in contact with Annie to discuss options. I love the idea of her fabric shopping tours!!

#638 Ela

Ela

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

Hi! I'm a dressmaker, running a business of my own. Decades ago I was a fashion designer in the apparel industry, but that wasn't for me. I'm devoted to arts and grafts. My main interests are pattern design and bespoke tailoring. 

• Henry Hall, Schneiderfrei and Evahk like this

#639 Wheresthecorporal

Wheresthecorporal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm Jay, I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I am very much at an entry level to sewing.
I will be attending a number of courses over the next 6 months to get me started with the basics and eventually move into some more advanced techniques.

My interest in tailoring was sparked when I had my first fitting in Berensen's Tailor Shop in Melbourne for a Uniform Tunic, as a collector of all things that relate to dress uniforms (buttons, patches, belts etc) I have always had an interest and appreciation for the skill and effort required to produce these garments.
I stumbled upon cutterandtailor.com after searching and finding patterns for RAF Greatcoats and Officer Dress Tunics for a research task at school.

Although ultimately I feel that I would like to enter the industry and become a tailor, I'm going to hold on that idea until I've seen more of the industry and experienced more of the difficulty and patience involved, as I said I'm only at an entry level and I'm not setting goals too high just yet.

I aim to learn to produce a number of unique items later on when I've developed my skills such as Kilts & Plaids, Greatcoats, Dress Uniform Tunics & Trousers/Skirts, Mess Kit, Cloaks and possibly head dress such as Peaked Caps and Forage/Garrison Caps.
And if the possibility exists I'd be interested in learning to work with fur felt to produce items such as Slouch Hats & Bicorns/Tricorns.

I'm looking forward to engaging with the community here.

#640 Sylvain

Sylvain

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:03 AM

Hello Ladies and Gentlemans ! 

My name is Sylvain, I'm 24 years old and I'm from France, I'm really excited about the idea of reading all of the fantastic informations I will find in this forum, I've always been fascinated by tailored clothes, but unfortunately I don't have the budget to wear what I would like to  

The good news is that it can be really easy to find used jacket and trousers with a great quality for a really small price, but Sometimes it's a bit too large, sometimes a bit too small, and this is why I'm here ! 

I have basics sewing and patronning skills, With some hours of learning and mistakes,  I have been able to make a brand new suede interior for a classic car I own .

Thank you very much for this gold mine of informations, I can't wait to start ! ( I just bought a woolen blazer that needs a bit of waist suppression ! )  

#641 WrongPlanet

WrongPlanet

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:computers, open source software, maths, science fiction and all things geek - plus well-made clothes that fit comfortably

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for quite a while and found so many helpful instructions that I have decided to join. A big thank you to everyone who contributes to this treasure of knowledge!

Though I have been sewing on and off for more than 20 years, I am still very much of a newbie. With lots of deliberate practice I hope to eventually make my own suits and finally wear elegant garments that acutally fit.

#642 Evahk

Evahk

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Hi!
I'm Eva, from Norway. I have sewn since I was a young teenager and now have a degree in Fashion and Textile Design and have worked as a product assistant in fast fashion for a couple of years. I am on maternity leave now and I am hoping to be able to take the leap to be self employed as a dressmaker/artist/textile designer. I am good enough at sewing to know how little I actually know. 

You can check out my website www.evakittelsen.com. The portfolio is not complete at all (the website is a bit new, and we've moved and all my pictures are in different computers and hard drives.. need to sit down some day and sort all that out... ) It also has a blog, some in norwegian and some in English. 

I hope this forum can help and motivate me to take my sewing to the next level. 

Edit: If you check out my blog you will also see that I was a finalist in the Norwegian version of "the great british sewing bee". I didn't think of that as too relevant in a professional forum.. but I guess it kind of is. 

Edit 2: @evakittelsen on instagram

Edited by Evahk, 01 July 2016 - 05:08 PM.

• Henry Hall and Schneiderfrei like this

#643 dimmerswitch

dimmerswitch

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

My name is Marco, living in British Columbia, Canada. I'm just accumulating information. I'm excited to start a pair of trouser. I've taken apart some pairs that don't fit, and am using the fabric to practice my stitches. I have never sewn before. I can see I have a lot to learn.

#644 E.K.Papp

E.K.Papp

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:39 PM

Dear All, I am Christina from Greece. Considering that I should plan my life as a houswife as from now on, decided to pick up a set of new knowledge and skills: sewing. I am extremely happy and greatful for all the posting members for their transfer of knowledge. Thank you for all as well as for the founding member. God bless you all.

#645 Futura

Futura

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Dressmaking/designing, drafting methods and theory

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

Hello everyone,

​I've been spending a great deal of time reading and studying this forum, and have decided to take the plunge and join!

I am a dressmaker/designer launching my own business. Many thanks to those who have developed this webpage and taken the time to share their knowledge! It is very much appreciated. :)

My grandmother worked for a tailor many, many decades ago in Germany. She was a master at sewing (amongst many other things) but sadly I never had the chance to sit down and study under her.

#646 Maxyards

Maxyards

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi all,

Max here from The Netherlands! I've been a reader on this forum for quite some time. I always end up here for reading about how to make patterns, how to sew a shirt and how to sew a flat fell seam for example. Sewing is what I do next to my fulltime job, so I don't have all the time in the world to spend on sewing unfortunately. My main focus is sewing shirts and I'm going to start with jeans/pleated trousers. Jeans will be especially the selvedge ones, with a straight side seam.

Shirt are more focused on button downs. My mission is to get that perfect oxford shirt ready.

Main challenges I face at the moment:

• Getting the right shirt pattern for myself
  • Flat felling the armscye seam. Still figuring out how I fold the fabric at the top part, so I enclose the fabric from the body.
  • Getting the perfect collar, which does not 'overhang' but is in line with the front plackets.

I'll definitely post my shirt projects and probably need lots of help from you! :)

Cheers

#647 whattodo165

whattodo165

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for coming all of you with new forum and topic .I hope we will enjoy with this new session.

http://www.astrologypandit.com/

Edited by whattodo165, 30 July 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#648 neche

neche

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

hello everyone,
my name is Neche from Nigeria. I am here because I love to sew! I'm constantly trying to improve my skills. According to "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, it takes 10,000 hours of hard work to become an expert, in this case, professional tailor. So I'm on a mission to test this theory. I believe I'll find the help I need in here.
  • tailleuse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users