24 replies to this topic

#19 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

The stroller was popular for a while in the USA, but was pretty much gone by the sixties or even sooner. Once in a while somebody would wear them and I would hear an older person mention it. I hear there are a few churches where usher still wear them (tradition). It is a neat "suit" and a worthy one. So to say, another way to play with clothes. Clothes are to be fun. Never knock people playing with clothes- it is the tailors job bo make them, else wise the history books would be empty of clothes. Do not scoff your trade!

Edited by greger, 22 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#20 RogierC

RogierC

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up picking a charcoal Lesser SFT, because the formalwear bunch had a striped trousering that I was rather fond of.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by RogierC, 23 December 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#21 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Did you get the DB waistcoat in a contrasting colour? Or one that matches the coat?

#22 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

Well done on the fabric, Rogier! A great-looking combination. Lesser! That's putting your money where your mouth is.

How's the CMT turning out?

#23 mariabutler

mariabutler

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:49 PM

How stroller is related to suits or coats? I knew about stroller that these are pushchairs for babies which are also known as prams.

#24 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:11 AM

The word stroll has several meanings or variations. Some years ago some guys at one forum wore strollers to church. If I remember correctly one guy said that the ushers always wore strollers at church when their turn to be usher. Sort of a church uniform. Some had several colors. A stroller is a certain combination of clothes. A suit is a different combination. And then there are other combinations, white tie, black tie, military and so on. In other countries it may have different names if they exist there.

Wife says to husband. "Take a stroll." in other words, go for a walk. "Oh! And take the baby with you." So the baby carriage then started to be called a stroller. A combination of clothes looks better for walking and people start calling it a stroller. Therefore, the husband takes a stroll pushing a baby in a stroller and he is wearing a stroller. Perhaps that is how the combination became. Words are always up for change and new additions. The word run has many additions, and there will be some new ones. 

Edited by greger, 07 December 2017 - 04:40 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#25 pfaff260

pfaff260

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Everything about tailoring.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

The germans call it a Stresemann Anzug. After Gustav Stresemann who used to wear such a suit

• Schneiderfrei likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users