#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Posaune wrote, in a part of the forum to which I don't have access, that Vintage Couture Tailoring by Thomas von Nordheim is a good book. Some time ago, I read a good review of this book on a blog and ordered it something like a month ago. Amazon recently said it was having trouble finding the book and asked me if I wanted to keep my order open. It's now listed as being temporarily out of stock. So this is just a note to say that this book may not be immediately available.

I don't remember the price being so high when I first put in my order, but maybe that's my faulty memory.
Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Found this tailleuse.

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1847973736
AMATEURSARTO

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Found this tailleuse.

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/1847973736

Thanks, amateursarto. Amazon U.S. now says it will arrive in a month. Although the English price is better, by the time postage is added it probably will be the same or more than getting it from the U.S. branch. But I will keep it in mind.

#4 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

TAILLEISE- I noticed that the price went up on Amazon also at about the same time as the"out of stock". A bit strange. I'm wondering if possibly the book is in a second printing as the reviews have been so positive and if so, perhaps they may be able to change the only consistent negative...the bizarre grey print on pink background..or some such nonsense.

Perhaps if someone receives a book from the new shipment they will post if the print has been corrected?

#5 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

TAILLEISE- I noticed that the price went up on Amazon also at about the same time as the"out of stock". A bit strange. I'm wondering if possibly the book is in a second printing as the reviews have been so positive and if so, perhaps they may be able to change the only consistent negative...the bizarre grey print on pink background..or some such nonsense.

Perhaps if someone receives a book from the new shipment they will post if the print has been corrected?

Hello SPOOKIETOO,

I noticed that there were 14 listings for new books on Amazon and one seller had a new book listed for 132.72
+ 2.80UK delivery.

I would think that free delivery would have been included for this markup.

Kind regards.

Jeffrey2117

Edited by jeffrey2117, 08 February 2013 - 10:25 PM.

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#6 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

On Amazon.com, there are copies from sellers (not Amazon) for $26 and up. If you want it, maybe order from an indepent seller rather than wait for Amazon to get it in stock.

#7 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

My link here

Edited by Terri, 08 February 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#8 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

My link here

Hello Terri,

Thank you for the link, I am very interested in this book. I am always interested in improving or adding to my skills, especially concerning ladies wear.

Curiously, the used books offered for sale on this link are twice the cost of new books!

Kind regards,

Jeffrey2117

Edited by jeffrey2117, 09 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#9 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. Posted Image As I said, I'm in no big hurry. I need to use the books I have. American Amazon.com claims they'll ship the book in the March-April window. Last night, I received a tailoring book that wasn't exactly what I was expecting -- it's more of a supplement than a full text -- but it comes with a DVD that's supposed to be good. I hope to watch it this week.

Right now, I'm trying to do some shirt rub-offs. I've given up the idea drafting from scratch for the moment. I have no one to take measurements or help me fit myself. I'd rather aim for something that I already know I like. Naturally, there are various methods of making a pattern from a garment. I already have three or four books that discuss how to do this and then there are the web articles. Posted Image

My current goal is to put the skills learned in various construction classes to work, making clothes I need, thereby boosting my sewing confidence.As much as I enjoy reading books, blogs, and fora, I don't sew enough.Posted Image

#10 daristi

daristi

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

tailleuse,
vintage couture tailloring .
it can also be done in this way.
really very interesting.
and that for only 23.13 eur in house
tanks
daristi

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Amazon has informed me that they're shipping it.

#12 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

I received the book yesterday. I really like it so far. Nicely written, lots of photos, good tips. The print could be bigger, but I assume production costs dictated that.

#13 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Allocated P.P. typically dictates that so I learned with my book. The editor will get pricing for say 160 P.P. and 50,000 words. If the volume is heavily illustrated then type face has to be made smaller to accommodate the allocated space. Once they get a set P.P. they loath expanding the volume as I learned. My book could have easily been another 50 P.P. but no matter how much I begged, pleaded and offered my virginity to the gods I was denied.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#14 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi Jason,
all who had to fight with publishers know that this is the case. But it is not only the small print it is the color of the fond, too. It is grey. The paper is shiney. This and the size 9 (or is it even 8?) point fond makes it hard to read. What a pity. As an artwork it is nice - but not as a lecture book, which is laying besides the table, when you work.
lg
Posaune

#15 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Oh wow, yeah, grey text on gloss is not good.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#16 tailleuse

tailleuse

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

I don't find the gray text hard to read. There are some blocks of red type on white paper that were ill-advised. I suppose one could photocopy a section, darken the type and enlarge it for reference while working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users