Photo

By what means may one acquire BOXCLOTH felt?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanMartin

DanMartin

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I need some for some projects I have coming up. Prefer standard width. I know it is mainly used for braces these days but I've never seen the stuff so I don't know.

It is the same stuff that Albert Thurston makes his braces out of.

Super heavy boiled felt.

I'm in Singapore and it is unobtainable therefore I assume I will need to import a few yards of my own.

All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Dan

Attached Files

• Attached File  AT1.gif   33.75KB   23 downloads

#2 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

I've never seen it either, and I am not familiar with those braces, so I don't have a sense of the feel of them. Would it be 30oz melton, felted? You could try Hainsworth, but that is just a wild guess. I doubt the mills that provide it to Thurston would be selling it to the piblic. It could be made specifically for them.
Sorry, not much help.

#3 DanMartin

DanMartin

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Here's an excellent definition:

Definition of BOX CLOTH
: a heavy feltlike woolen coating made dense and almost waterproof by considerable fulling and shrinking and given a hard smooth face

#4 DanMartin

DanMartin

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

I believe it's boiled. I could do that myself, but I lack the necessary equipment to redye it as necessary :/

#5 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, you won't get the same effect by just boiling it. It is a combination of heat and pressure, probably on some serious machinery to get the proper consistent fabric. Dyeing it after the fact is likely going to produce the effect of the dye sitting on the top of the outermost fibre layer, as it is too dense for the dye to penetrate through sufficiently.
Don't mean to be a downer, but results will not be profesional.

#6 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

It may be a long shot and may not be the same type of felt you are looking for but, have you any pool or snooker table manufacturers in your area? They cover the tables with felt and it would have to be good for playing on. Maybe they can put you on to a supplier.

#7 DanMartin

DanMartin

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

That seems reasonable, but here in Singapore they don't tend to dig that deep into their craft, and beyond that, fabric importers / distributors never have impressive fabrics. It's all really dictated by the masses (who are boring). Other than that, people just shop retail. It really sucks.

Yeah, you won't get the same effect by just boiling it. It is a combination of heat and pressure, probably on some serious machinery to get the proper consistent fabric. Dyeing it after the fact is likely going to produce the effect of the dye sitting on the top of the outermost fibre layer, as it is too dense for the dye to penetrate through sufficiently.
Don't mean to be a downer, but results will not be profesional.

Thanks, you seem to have had some experience with the stuff. Where did you get yours?

#8 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

I haven't had anything labelled "boxcloth" in my hands, but I have worked with heavy melton and moleskin, felt, and other textiles in my job. We have a dyer on staff, and I have seen the results of attempting to dye dense fabric. (designers sometimes insist the dyer try, despite the expert opinion that it will not be satisfactory).
You can look up Hainsworth online, they sell melton in many weights and felt for billiard tables. There are probably others who do, but Hainsworth is a company we have dealings with.
You might want to search for industrial felt. Somebody makes it! It has been popular recently in home decor. Punched felt as floor and wall covering.
http://hainsworth.co.uk/

Edited by Terri, 11 August 2013 - 12:13 AM.

• ladhrann and Alievens like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users