Photo

Develop funding from kickstarter anyone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

Hello All,

I just happened on a website that people have used to acquire funding for startup businesses. 

The link below shows ongoing funding projects and the ones that reached or exceeded their goal in the fashion section. 

It is interested to see the different groups applied their marketing skills and which were successful or not so much. 

Perhaps this is an alternate method to gather funding needed for startup for those with big plans but little resource options.

The people who are funding these start ups, are basically pre-paying for their garments or accessories, funding the initial startup of the business and receiving goods. 

If you have a good product that people want and can market it properly it can happen. 

http://www.kickstart...ion?ref=sidebar

I hope this is helpful information.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey2117

• partlanpatterns likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#2 partlanpatterns

partlanpatterns

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and teaching Physics.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

My wife and I have donated generously to two musicians we know and a fashion designer we know in NYC. In the case of the musicians, we knew them for years. One was the music director of our choir for 8 years. He is incredibly talented and his career as a conductor is starting to really take off. We helped fund a project he created with several other musicians in San Francisco to commission and perform new compositions. The other musician is the lead mezzo soprano in our choir -- we've also hosted home recitals for her and the soprano and tenor leads.

We got to know the fashion designer first online and then we met her in January in NYC. Her kickstarter campaigns helped fund a runway show one year and a collection look book last year.

The fashion designer's kickstarter campaign for the runway show was actually the first one we donated to even though we only knew her online at the time. She is very active on social media, e.g., facebook, twitter and her blog and because we were following her we gradually got to know what an intensely passionate and hardworking professional she on top of being incredibly talented.

I think her kickstarter campaign was so successful because of the way she personally connects with online friends to build support for her dream. We have seen other campaigns fail because they lack this kind of connection. It is as if the artists, etc. are sitting back and wondering why people don't realize how wonderful they are. Maybe it should be solely about the product or art but in reality so many talented people are competing for limited resources you have to do something special to stand out.

• jeffrey2117 likes this

#3 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hello Partlanpatterns,

Thank you for the response to my post concerning the Kickstarter funding link.  Your insights and experience with this project starter was very interesting. 

I thought it very interesting to read about some of the other funded projects presented.  There are very creative persons that I am happy are able to achieve success through these efforts. 

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

• ladhrann and partlanpatterns like this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#4 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

A lot of artist are different kind of people. It comes down to how we communicate. Some people think with words and others pictures and others music and there are probably some other methods. I think with in a few seconds with pictures a books worth of words. I'm terrible with words.

• ladhrann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users