#19 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:23 AM

Nice-looking trousers for everyone! :-)

More seriously, that's five years and the apprentice must have come in with several years of training under his/her belt.

You are quite right, I did not realise it was five years, being in the trade for over fifty years it seemed like five minutes to me. I stand corrected!

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#20 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Five years is a good time, but it could be done even faster. If an apprentice comes with a mind of an engineer brain in such tailor shop and he is excellent with his fingers, accurate with pedantic mind. Cutting is mechanical work, drafting and calculating with adjustments and eye measuring plus using all kinds of forms, (Schablonen). Cutting is easier than making a suit. It all depends if someone teaches you straight forward, without keeping any secrets. The problem is that such a good apprentice rather becomes an engineer or doctor instead a tailor or cutter for a lousy wage in general.

It only takes someone 30 years to become a tailor/cutter, when he must figure out everything by himself and is on its own. Tailors have the tendency to over think stuff very easy and after they did something a couple of years wrong, they figured out that some other tailor could have taught him this in 1 minute.

• tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#21 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Nice-looking trousers for everyone! :-)

More seriously, that's five years and the apprentice must have come in with several years of training under his/her belt.

Yes, I think this is a fair length time for anyone. Most of these apprentices seem to have been on a three-year tailoring degree course (whatever its considered level) prior to their apprenticeships and the combination of 8 years is a long time. 

You can't learn all the individual quirks of each cutter/tailor forever. Surely there's a time limit to learning the foundation and the rest is practice and working alongside other people?

I can't believe tailoring loses its essence by having efficient training that speeds up the old process of being an apprentice-drudge. Not all the time spent in old apprenticeships (in any field) was honest teaching, some of it was squeezing out as much dirt-cheap labour as possible.  

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#22 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have no vocabulary for the special words, but I'll try. In Germany you learn 3 years for the profession. You learn from a master and go at the same  time to school - no master can train you all that is requiered. The school also monitors the training at the master. Because there is a shortage of young people, you learn both together - ladies and men's tailoring. If you are gifted you can do the exam earlier. After some time in which the journeyman should collect experience and practice he/she can start the training as master.

lg

posaune

• tailleuse likes this

#23 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

You are quite right, I did not realise it was five years, being in the trade for over fifty years it seemed like five minutes to me. I stand corrected!

I'm sure 5, 9 years does seem like the blink of an eye to someone who's trained for 50 years. :-)

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#24 Deacon-Bastyon

Deacon-Bastyon

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Menswear, Shoes, Music, Conceptual Art.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Im 34 and have studied bespoke tailoring level 2 at Newham college in London, even £11.000 per year for 3 years is better than not working at all. I would love this job as I love tailoring.
  • tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#25 Deacon-Bastyon

Deacon-Bastyon

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Menswear, Shoes, Music, Conceptual Art.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:52 AM

Did someone get the position then?
  • tailleuse likes this

#26 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Did someone get the position then?

I have no idea.  I saw it discussed on their blog and thought it would be fun to post it.

• Deacon-Bastyon likes this

#27 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

You need to be nice and young. After 35 you are old.

• tailleuse likes this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#28 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

You need to be nice and young. After 35 you are old.

I'm not saying I necessarily approve, I can see arguments on either side for an age limit for apprenticing. But regardless of my opinion, this is the reality, which is why when a man came to the forum saying he was 30 and that he was considering pursuing tailoring as a new career I told him he had to get going fast. 

Edited by tailleuse, 12 May 2015 - 04:24 AM.

• Der Zuschneider likes this

#29 Mustafa othman

Mustafa othman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Looking for pattern maker job

#30 Mustafa othman

Mustafa othman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am 26 .I am working on garments from 5 years ago and have studying garments for 3 years at college in egypt.iam working as assistant technical designer using gerber software for drafting and grading and can draft manually

#31 Mustafa othman

Mustafa othman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users