#1 sarafay

sarafay

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hiya everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how much ease to allow on a close fitting jacket block for a lady? +3 inches to the waist / bust / hips from the actual taken measurements for example?

I'm doing a 1950s suit for a larger women, and just wanted to make sure as we only have one fitting available! (I normally do mens)..

Thanks!!

www.facebook.com/sftailoring

Attached Files

#2 Nula

Nula

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi Sarafay,

For an average sized woman 3" is too much for the nipped in waists you are considering.  It would depend on how "large" the woman is.  Very large ladies need more relative ease due to gravitational spread when sitting, especially the bottom and thighs, otherwise she will be extremely uncomfortable when seated.  I think your 3" might be all right for a larger gal (size 16 to 20).  You might get away with less, depending on where she carries her weight.  3" may not be enough for a very ample lady. (size 20 and up).

Fitting large ladies is extremely challenging and rewarding when you get it right!  Especially for the suit you have in mind - good luck!

• Katherine Maylin likes this

#3 sarafay

sarafay

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Great, thanks for your advice! Shes about a size 16/18 so I'll stick with that then :) Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users