18 replies to this topic

#1 neyus

neyus

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

DIRECTOR OF DESIGN, PATTERNMAKING AND TAILORING - BOLOGNA, ITALY - 15363 spacer.gif    

Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE: RL) is a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in four categories: apparel, home, accessories and fragrances. For more than 44 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets.

Purpose and Scope: Must have extensive knowledge of men’s fine tailoring and patternmaking as well as advanced knowledge in sartorial, semi sartorial and industrial make. Creating and maintaining archives of all RL patterns. 

Key Responsibilities
:

• Responsible for creating and developing protos, sample developments and patterns for Purple Label, Black Label, Polo, RRL, women’s MTM - based on the direction from design office in NY
  • Oversee sample and proto development at different factories.
  • Overseeing quality control and optimization for pre production and new projects
  • Fitting and overseeing MTM orders.
  • Organize and participate in fittings of new protos and for samples for production approval – in NY and Italy.
  • Extra projects such as needs of Lauren family, VIP made-to-measure and event related projects (Olympic games uniforms, etc.)
  • Participate during rigging time for showrooms in NY – 2 or more times per year.
  • Digital archiving for all RL patterns.
  • Ability to travel

Qualifications

• Extensive patternmaking and tailoring experience in high end men’s clothing industry
  • Patternmaking by hand and on computer
  • Knowledge of computer programs like Investronica to create digital patterns and maintain digital archive.
  • Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and CAD
  • Proficient in written and spoken English

Ralph Lauren is an equal opportunity employer. We offer dynamic career opportunities with growth potential and a generous company discount

• james_tailor, tailleuse and Gray Malkin like this

#2 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:08 AM

I wonder if such a person is born already. Keep dreaming.

• tailleuse likes this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#3 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing, these qualifications are unreal and any one who applies and says they know all this are faking some of it. If such a person exists, at the calibre they desire, is easily 100k salary. However something tells me they want all this for €25.000. Given the responsibilities they worked the last codger to death.
  • tailleuse likes this
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#4 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:01 AM

Rag trade or slave trade? Probably an 80 hour week or on call 24 hours.If the applicant is not a divorcee, they will be after taking this job.
  • ladhrann likes this

#5 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

100k would be too less, 200k - 250k probably would be more real.

They will likely to pay maybe 50k. Therefore, I say, keep dreaming!

RL will already completely fail on:

Must have extensive knowledge of men’s fine tailoring and patternmaking as well as advanced knowledge in sartorial, semi sartorial and industrial make.

The key responsibilities else could be trained or learned of a sound and outgoing, intelligent personality with at least a technical bachelor and account managing sales experience.

If they lucky, they might find an 18 year old transgender from some design academy, who owns a cutting book from 2012 and claims he knows something... LOL

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 07 May 2014 - 04:16 AM.

• ladhrann and napoli like this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#6 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Ralph Lauren is an equal opportunity employer. We offer dynamic career opportunities with growth potential and a generous company discount

I see despite the many laudable policies of your company you do not appear to have anyone that speaks tailorese or plain English.  For a modest consulting fee I can offer to rewrite your ad and liaise with you and deliver marketing strategies better 'ahem' tailored to your audience as well as offering a bottom up appraisal of the position and 'expectation management'. 

• J. Maclochlainn likes this

#7 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

I laughed a lot on this surreal thread.

#8 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

• Extra projects such as needs of Lauren family, VIP made-to-measure and event related projects (Olympic games uniforms, etc.)

Does that include cooking and cleaning  :w00t:

Today's expectations are completely false. The ad was obviously put together by someone who has no real life experience, and a poor reflection of the Ralph Lauren brand. 

• tailleuse and ladhrann like this

#9 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

Don't you think that it is purposely worded to weed out the most unsuitable (pun intended) candidates?

Yes it sounds like a wish list but like any job, if everything that a position required, (even if some things happened only once every four years) was described in HR speak, the list would look like the one above.
I could certainly make mine sound like that! :)

It sounds much more like a management/ supervisory/ liaison position that requires the skills of a tailor but won't require very much actual hands on work.
  • tailleuse likes this

#10 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 PM

They would have as much chance of fulfilling that job criteria, as finding the Loch ness Monster. Its basically a list, where, if they find someone they deem more suitable in the future, they have a ready made list of excuses to get rid of the person presently in that position.

Untrustworthy is a word that springs to mind when viewing that list. 

• ladhrann likes this

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

If they lucky, they might find an 18 year old transgender from some design academy, who owns a cutting book from 2012 and claims he knows something... LOL

What?

This notice sounds ridiculous, but it's not OK to make fun of trans people.

• jeffrey2117 and Gray Malkin like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#12 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I wonder if such a person is born already. Keep dreaming.

I was thinking the same thing, these qualifications are unreal and any one who applies and says they know all this are faking some of it. If such a person exists, at the calibre they desire, is easily 100k salary. However something tells me they want all this for €25.000. Given the responsibilities they worked the last codger to death.

I'm glad it's not just me.  It seemed like a lot was being asked.  I believe there's a forum member here who performs many of these tasks for a company in the Midwest, although I'm not sure he's ever discussed digital pattern making on his blog.

• sewbot likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#13 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hello All,

After reading the key requirements, the company wishes to find at least seven employees in one for one man pay.   

The requirements listed above are beyond my capabilities.  I would not be able to physically keep up with the responsibilities involved.

Either the company set a very high bar for a purpose, to eliminate the unqualified or who ever had this written this did not understand the extent of the responsibilities involved.

Kind regards

Jeffrey 2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#14 cutter&tailor

cutter&tailor

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:33 AM

"Ralph Lauren is an equal opportunity employer. We offer dynamic career opportunities with growth potential and a generous company discount".

I'VE. GOT. TO. HAVE. THIS JOB!

• tailleuse likes this

#15 cutter&tailor

cutter&tailor

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

- applied for. 8)

• tailleuse likes this

#16 Gray Malkin

Gray Malkin

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring; Haute Couture

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

What?

This notice sounds ridiculous, but it's not OK to make fun of trans people.

I agree, that is offensive.

• sewbot and tailleuse like this

#17 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

I see ads like this all the time. "Applicant should have 500 years of studies and 700 years of work experience of all concievable fields in the world, will have to be able to compete in javelin and be fluent in thickening sauces". Like mentioned I think they try to scare away people who can't deliver.

The things that really annoys me is the VIP- and lauren family thing. And the notion of the company discount. A person fullfilling those conditions wouldn't have to buy a RL garment...

Edited by OJD, 10 May 2014 - 11:28 PM.

• tailleuse likes this

#18 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Modesty and age forbid me applying for this job! Also I would not be up for the travel as my bicycle has a puncture!

I cannot understand why? they did not include a broom up the backside, so one could brush the floor at the same time, while running around doing everything else.

• tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ralph lauren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users