• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DesertElephant

DesertElephant

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Classic Style, Bow Ties, Trousers, Vests, French Cuffs. I also love Fantasy and Science Fiction Media, whether it be books, film or television. I Especially LOVE Doctor Who (from 2005 Resumption on. And, as the Good Doctor stated, "Bow Ties are Cool."

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

Gentleman and Ladies, two new  "innovations" sure to turn your stomachs!

First, the Suitsy, which is a dress Onesie, for adults:

http://www.betabrand...sie-hybrid.html

If that's a bit too casual, you can always upgrade to our second choice, the Jogging suit!

https://www.jackthre...810?vortexd=231

Really hoping THOSE die out quickly.  Never has this forum, and you Cutters and Tailors been more important if Men are considering this for even a moment.  Help us Obi-Poole Kenobi.  you're our only hope.

• cperry and ChiTownTailor like this

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, but not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy; for the apparel oft proclaims the man.

-Polonius, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3

#2 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

God help us, if this is the future. Talentless clothing by talentless designers.
  • cperry likes this

#3 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

I'm just finishing reading the book, "The Lost Art of Dress," by Przybyszerski.  It's a fascinating history piece in many ways.  I was enjoying reading about things from my grandmother's time, my mothers' and then my own.  I know you were talking about men (so please pardon me) but it is very interesting to go back and realize where we've come from in the way we as a society thought and dressed.  It may be a glimmer of hope that some are thinking about the loss of American education in clothing design, fabric quality, and so forth.  In other words, the loss of the art in clothing, and reduced to something utilitarian in nature.

• tailleuse likes this

#4 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:20 AM

designers.

For this specific example, I would use that term very loosely. Based on his bio, he has only one invention.

My opinion is that one must have hundreds of successes - and, by extension: thousands of failures - before one can claim to be a designer.

• tailleuse likes this

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#5 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

Everyone and their dog claim to be designers, if they can draw what appears to look like something that cover the human frame.

Edited by jukes, 01 October 2014 - 02:53 PM.

• tailleuse likes this

#6 cthomas

cthomas

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

To call this the future of menswear is a bit much... that suitsy plays on the onesie hype, but is pretty much a useless extension. (I would think the onesie is made for comfort and ease.. to wear inside the house. I doubt this version is either comfortable or increases ease)

The jogging suit might horrify you, but it might actually also benefit the classical menswear one here is so fond off. It is obviously not aimed to replace the suit (or just the trousers), but is aimed at a younger target group who might think suits are stuffy and to business like. It is also not very new (people have been combining suits/suit jackets with casual wear for a while now), but this can be a way for the track suit youth generation to start wearing suit jackets in daily life. Sure you won't find any fine tailoring here, but it isn't really anything to be horrified about I think...

#7 Faith

Faith

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Modest clothes with correct fit, and a cure for brain cancer.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:25 AM

Hubby wears boiler suits as casual wear. Once, in desperation (this was in my stage of trying to change him) I got the bright idea to sew pants and shirt together so he would at least APPEAR to be wearing separates. Dismal failure! It didn't look like a boiler suit, but rather pants and shirt sewn together. Fooled nobody.

I can accept that new things are invented and old things become obsolete until they are forgotten and re-invented, but some things simply should never be made.

• tailleuse and cperry like this

If most women are not 5 feet 10 inches 120 pounds, why do these unrealistic models dominate the runways?

#8 DesertElephant

DesertElephant

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Classic Style, Bow Ties, Trousers, Vests, French Cuffs. I also love Fantasy and Science Fiction Media, whether it be books, film or television. I Especially LOVE Doctor Who (from 2005 Resumption on. And, as the Good Doctor stated, "Bow Ties are Cool."

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

Faith,

Amen to your last statement. James May's Man Lab had The Cad and Dandy make a bespoke boiler suit for James May. It was, as with your confessed experiment, a dismal failure.

Fads come and go, but thankfully Classic Style never truly goes away.
  • cperry likes this

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, but not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy; for the apparel oft proclaims the man.

#9 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

Great if in 1900 you wore detachable celluloid collars and cuffs or a dickey.  

I can't take these innovations very seriously.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#10 DesertElephant

DesertElephant

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:59 AM

Tailleuse,

I figured they'd be more sneered at, but I wasn't sure how to indicate my sarcasm regarding these being the future in the title.  :-)  At least, I REALLY hope this isn't the future.  With the decline we are seeing, and the Country, City, Formality, Livery progressions Men's fashion has taken, I think (though I'd VERY MUCH like to be wrong) the ones cleanest T-Shirt, Cargo Shorts and Running Shoes will be formal attire in the future of Menswear.  I shudder to think of it.

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Tailleuse,

I figured they'd be more sneered at, but I wasn't sure how to indicate my sarcasm regarding these being the future in the title.  :-)  At least, I REALLY hope this isn't the future.  With the decline we are seeing, and the Country, City, Formality, Livery progressions Men's fashion has taken, I think (though I'd VERY MUCH like to be wrong) the ones cleanest T-Shirt, Cargo Shorts and Running Shoes will be formal attire in the future of Menswear.  I shudder to think of it.

Those are almost Rube Goldberg clothes.  It's more economical, more comfortable, and more pleasurableto wear a regular outfit.  They're a gimmick.

• cperry likes this

#12 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

As far as the shirt cuff sewn into the coat sleeve cuff i've already suggested that for hot days where a short sleeve shirt would be nicer.

The zipper is a waste of time.

• tailleuse likes this

#13 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:04 PM

One could view the suitsy as a kind of trainer garment for young men??? :hyper:

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#14 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

Didn't GQ last year declare that the wearing of a Jacket was no longer completely necessary for a Gentleman?

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#15 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

If someone at GQ made that declaration, I'm guessing they're in cahoots with the same person that declared women must never wear nylons again. 98% of all women over the age of 16 don't have the legs for that....its the equivalent of men coming to work or any other event in a pair of shorts. ONLY UPS drivers can pull this off.

But taking men out of jackets would temper the playing field a bit.....

And putting them in a onesie would definitely give us the upper hand.
  • cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#16 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm guessing they're in cahoots with the same person that declared women must never wear nylons again. 98% of all women over the age of 16 don't have the legs for that.

Nylons are extremely uncomfortable in warm weather.  They can be expensive, and they're fragile. Considering how much slack men are given for their looks and mode of dress I think we all can live with the sight of women with -- horrors! -- imperfect gams.

#17 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Even worse, I would think, are the black (are they lycra or polyester?) tights for comfort on a nice warm fall day, like we have here today.  Did we put off nylons, but then went to Spandex?  We're seeing a lot of the patterned, colorful variety here now.

#18 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Even worse, I would think, are the black (are they lycra or polyester?) tights for comfort on a nice warm fall day, like we have here today.  Did we put off nylons, but then went to Spandex?  We're seeing a lot of the patterned, colorful variety here now.

I don't like Spandex leggings, especially when women don't wear a top that covers the butt. TMI.  I think black tights (stockings) are fine and hope they are here to stay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users