• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#19 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yes, I agree with you.  My new mother-in-law (since my mother-in-law was lost to cancer and my father-in-law remarried--a good thing) traveled to Germany last fall and said the women looked so beautiful in the style where they wear the black stockings under a classy skirt and high boots.  I can't remember which city she visited, but it was fun to hear her report. 

One of the cutest little girls at the Minnesota State 4-H Dog Show (my kids show Spaniels) was a little pencil-thin girl about 6 or so.  She had a  little skirt on with bling (I think it's called) along the sides, black leggings, and high boots.  Just the cutest thing.  I'd never think of wearing something like that myself, but it was adorable.

Maybe the high boots bring back memories of hunt seat English riding....... 

Edited by cperry, 12 October 2014 - 11:09 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

#20 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:36 AM

As many women, both young and older do not feel comfortable going bare legged in a skirt or dress, many are turning to leggings and tights which in many instances are a poor substitute for a more refined hosiery.

Women don't "like" to wear nylons.

Men don't "like" to wear neckties.

I've worn both, rather extensively, and yes....neckties are definitely more comfortable than nylons.

If a situation warrants a man wearing a necktie, a woman should be in nylons.

I've never owned a pair of tights more comfortable than a decent pair of pantyhose. Warmer yes....comfortable???.... not so much.

And on top of it all...there is a substantial number of women that no longer wear dresses and skirts so they can avoid being made fun of, for needing to wear nylons on their less-than-perfect legs.

I wear mine anyway...I've not bought into the hype of staining my pastey-white legs with chemicals.

Besides that...ask any gathering of men - straight or gay - how we look our best - and the nylons always get the yes vote.

I even seem to recall that was the consensus somewhere here on this forum. Most men will of course deny so in front of their bare-legged female cohorts, but they are secretly looking forward to the upcoming return of this feminine civility.
  • cperry likes this

#21 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:06 AM

I appreciate your thoughts, Spookietoo.  I hadn't really thought about it, or realized, that women stopped wearing nylons.  I have to say, as the temperature goes down again in Minnesota, I appreciate the extra warmth of nylons. 

I should add, at that State Dog Show, the other cutest person was a young boy about 10 wearing a suit.  He was showing a border collie, if I remember right.  He was classy!  I didn't pay attention to whether his attire added to how well he placed, but I did snap a picture.  He was competing in "showmanship", so it was "all about him"! 

Edited by cperry, 13 October 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#22 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

Getting male opinion is probably a variable depending on where you are and where I live in Sydney, you get a good 8 months of the year when its warm to hot when its now rare for any of the girls to wear stockings. Stocking appear to be relegated to costumes and here I am thinking of fishnet and similar effects. Now panty hose is even less popular but it was in fact useful in an emergency where if the fan belt of your car broke far away from any spares, you could once ask the ladies to sacrifice a pair of panty hose to tie up into a makeshift fan belt.

Contrary to popular opinion, most guys don't like ladies with skinny legs and the notion of what are "less-than-perfect legs" varies from person to person. Interestingly enough most of the criticism I have heard is not from the guys but from the girls about other women's legs. Its not uncommon in the heat of summer for the younger girls (mid teens to mid 20s) to float around in the inner city in very short shorts and a tank top and while it may not be the wisest choice in some places, it is a general social expectation that they can run around in very little in safety.

Winter in Sydney is another matter and while it is nothing like as cold as northern US or Canada, we get unusual cold driven by the Great Southern Ocean that goes straight through your bones and here you see the girls well rugged up, tights if they must wear skirts, warm tops and often coats.

There is another advantage of the girls running around in little in the summer, it tends to motivate them to keep themselves in good shape which in turn motivates them to hassle their guys if they don't do the same. :acute: 

• tailleuse and cperry like this

#23 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

Just for historical interest, here's a little write up on stockings inspired by "Twiggy" back in 1967 by The Vintage Traveler:

http://www.thevintag...by-twiggy-1967/

#24 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

Just for historical interest, here's a little write up on stockings inspired by "Twiggy" back in 1967 by The Vintage Traveler:

http://www.thevintag...by-twiggy-1967/

The author wore her fishnet stockings over pastel stockings.  I've never heard of that.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users