Photo

A Private View of Public Schools

English Public Schools Preppy Style Boys Young Men Traditional Uniforms Cricket Private School Uniforms UK Private Schools

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

This is an excerpt from a book called "Thirty Years On!" It's a collection of photos of boys at UK Public Schools.

public-school-eton_3049720k.jpg

• cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Funny, in Adelaide, South Australia these schools are called Private Schools. The one I went to had a gaudy purple blazer.  Oddly they never explained the significance of any of the dress to any meaningful degree.

• tailleuse and cperry like this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

Funny, in Adelaide, South Australia these schools are called Private Schools. The one I went to had a gaudy purple blazer.  Oddly they never explained the significance of any of the dress to any meaningful degree.

In the U.S., they're called "private schools", "independent schools", and usually by outsiders, "prep schools."  I think the students at the original public schools understand the dress traditions.

"They emerged from charity schools established to educate poor scholars, the term "public" being used to indicate that access to them was not restricted on the basis of religion, occupation, or home location, and that they were subject to public management or control,[1] in contrast to private schools which were run for the personal profit of the proprietors.[2]"     http://en.wikipedia....United_Kingdom)

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#4 DesertElephant

DesertElephant

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Classic Style, Bow Ties, Trousers, Vests, French Cuffs. I also love Fantasy and Science Fiction Media, whether it be books, film or television. I Especially LOVE Doctor Who (from 2005 Resumption on. And, as the Good Doctor stated, "Bow Ties are Cool."

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I get the uniforms, but the hats are a bit much.  They look like something Jessica Tandy would be wearing in the backseat of a car driven by Morgan Freeman.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy, but not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy; for the apparel oft proclaims the man.

-Polonius, Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

I get the uniforms, but the hats are a bit much.  They look like something Jessica Tandy would be wearing in the backseat of a car driven by Morgan Freeman.

I love the hats with the flowers.  A handsome boy can get away with that look for only a few years.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#6 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Simpler and more respectful times DE. At least there was more time for respect.  Who even reads poetry these days?

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users