8 replies to this topic

#1 knab

knab

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

First post here.  This is great website.

I had a made to measure tuxedo made.  Somehow some wires got crossed and it was made with notch lapels and I really would like peak.  I can get the same grosgrain.  A handful of tailors have told me they won't attempt it, but I found one who will.  I realize there will be a seam in the back of the lapel.  I am nervous because a few tailors have told me it isn't possible.  Any thoughts from the experts here would be greatly appreciated.  Is this something that is feasible and is an acceptable outcome possible?  Or should I not attempt to do it?

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:34 AM

Is there no chance that the company who made that tuxedo for you can make you a peak lapel jacket? The way I understand it it's their mistake?

Putting new facings on is a big operation (literally) on the jacket and will be very costly with no guarantee for success. If there is the option of a remake, use that instead.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#3 knab

knab

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

I could have another made and will do that if this is a really bad idea.  I am not sure who made the mistake... it is possible I misspoke as I ordered a couple of jackets with notch lapels at the same time.  The cost of a new jacket is far higher than what the tailor quoted me, so I'm really just trying to save money here.  That said, don't want to destroy this one in the process.  Appreciate the response.  Researching this has given me a better understanding of what goes into making a nice jacket.  It is pretty amazing.

#4 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:06 PM

I would not alter it and leave the notch. It is a pain in the ass for any tailor to alter it and you might see it after a while, then you can throw the jacket away.

Buy another jacket in two years, if you really need one then.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#5 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

If you do this, please please show us a picture.

We would really like to see it.

I for one, have never done this, and dont know anyone that has.

Edited by A TAILOR, 15 December 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#6 knab

knab

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm half-tempted to try just because I have no clue what I'd do with two tux jackets.  If only I had a twin brother in need of a tux.  Here are some "before" pictures.  I can't imagine trying to take this apart and put it back together, but I've only ever tried to hem a pair of pants for a costume party and it was a disaster (the pants that is... party was fine).  

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

#7 SINNED

SINNED

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

I would not do this. The problem is not just a seam on the back to create the point and the application of new facings which is a big job. Usually a peak lapel jacket will have a slightly wider line to the lapel which gives proportion to the peak. I cannot be sure without seeing photo but it is likely that your notch does not have this proportion and so will look too narrow. Also sewing across a seam with your new facing at the most prominent part of the jacket is not a good idea as you may see a small bump or ridge, depending on thickness of fabric.

I am also curious why the tailor who made the jacket will not correct it, yet others will.

#8 SINNED

SINNED

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Now I see the photo. Don't do it.
If you do, come back and show us as I always like to be proved wrong.

#9 knab

knab

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

I'd have liked to contribute some pictures and show the experience, but you've all convinced me not to do it.  I appreciate all the responses.  Again, this is a great forum and I'm happy to have discovered it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users