5 replies to this topic

#1 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Recently I cut and sewed a winter overcoat from a fabric called "Manteltuch" (?coat cloth?). It is made of 100% worsted wool. And it is heavy.

I ironed the fabric before cutting with a heavy iron with much steam. (But maybe I did not enough, because the fabric was heavy and 3.5 m long so the handling was tiresome).

I did the first fitting and prepared for second. To my surprise the fit was worser. It was so worse that I ripped it all  and ironed it again flat. I layed the pattern again on. The fabric had shrunk about 0.75 cm in 36 cm width. Horror. Thanks God, I had enough inlays. I am left with small seam allowance  but it fits.

All this ironing was not so good on the fabric - what do you do that the little fibers stand up again? I use a wet press cloth and my brush. Is there anything else I could do?

lg

posaune

• tailleuse, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#2 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:haute couture

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

Posaune,

How discouraging. You might be able to raise the fibers with static electricity.

Cover the pressing table with a piece of wool, then put your fabric on it --face down; and steam.When you move the cloth the static electricity will cause the fibers to brighten. I always use a wool press cloth and table cover with wool. 

Another remedy that is useful for small sections--such when you've overpressed and a seam shows.

Place the fabric wrong side up on a needle board -(or a piece of hook and loop tape --the hook piece-- if you don't have a needle board). Steam and press firmly. I use a wool cloth on the needle board. 

Good luck. Claire

• pfaff260, jeffrey2117, cperry and 2 others like this

Claire Shaeffer

Author, Couture Sewing Techniques

claire.shaeffer@gmail.com

www.sewfari.org

#3 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thank you, Claire. Will try both of it. Peterle wrote me about Krauseminzewasser (curly mint water??) too.

I need all help I can get.

lg

heidi

#4 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

As far as I know, Krauseminzewasser is mainly used to get creases out of cloths like cotton, linen or hard twisted woolens.

Check here (German text): http://gewaendertruh...nderwasser.html

They do mention that it can also lift the pile back up, but I have no personal experience with that.

Here's a source for buying it. The price seems fair, surely cheaper than any farmacy... Shipping abroad is quite costly, though!

The scientific term is Aqua menthae crispae.

• tailleuse likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#5 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

hi posaune

you might try using a hair blower at high speed.

#6 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

Lots of steam and a loud zisch noise. 

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic