• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

I have used this pair for some time, mainly for cutting fleece for winter weight track pants and had never been able to put them aside to finish them off but as I will not be needing them for a couple of months until it starts to get colder here, I have finished them off by preparing and painting the handles. I was held up here because my dremel style power tool gave up the ghost and would only run at maximum speed.

I bit the bullet and bought myself a brand new Dremel 4000 which is a really nice gadget for doing some of this work. It allowed me to finish off the finger loops that were too hard to finish with a file and further sanding. Polished handles may look nice but they are a pain to keep in good condition without them going rusty, the win with the paint if you get it right is they feel much the same as polished metal to use but don't go rusty.

The paint I used is a 2 pack polyurethane that is designed to be put on reasonably thick and once it has been on for a couple of weeks it sets nearly as hard as glass. I learnt the hard way not to hang them upside down as the paint set as you get runs in the wrong place. You still get a few sags here and there but as the old timers were the same, its not like it matters much.

They are too big for delicate work but cutting double layer fleece they have no peers, precise, fast and reasonably low effort to cut heavy bulky material.

wiss10left.jpg

wiss10right.jpg

• MANSIE WAUCH, Alfye, ChiTownTailor and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users