#1 LouisXIV

LouisXIV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Hello everyone!

Over the course of 10 years I have had shirts made by several shirt makers, mostly MTM.

Against my desire to build a lasting relationship I have not yet found a single tailor I could be loyal to for the following reasons

• Lack of honesty
  • Lack of individualisation
  • Lack of education
  • Remote production
  • Inconsistency
  • Language barrier

I recently read a topic on Styleforum about a Swede attending a week long workshop at a bespoke shoemaker to learn and discuss handmaking shoes while on the job.

http://www.shoegazin...verkning-del-1/

http://www.shoegazin...verkning-del-2/

I find this approach very appealing and would have interest in something similiar for the shirts I look to have made.

It's not a necessity but I would definitely love to learn more about details like alterations for sloping shoulders, single piece vs. split yoke, shape of the armhole, seperately set in sleeves, sleeve pitch, interlining and fusing of collars and cuffs, back darts vs. rounded side seams etc.

It does not matter if you are a business or an experienced homesewer, if you think you could educate me on some or all the above points and/or make shirts with details like that, I would appreciate if you would contact me.

Thanks and with best regards,

LouisXIV

Edited by LouisXIV, 20 February 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#2 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

So basically, you want an instructor for making shirts?

• LouisXIV likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#3 LouisXIV

LouisXIV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:39 AM

I am looking for someone who makes shirts.

It would be a great experience once being involved in making a shirt and it would certainly further enhance my appreciation for both the trade and the finished garment, but finally I do not intend to make my own shirts.

In contrast to impersonal highstreet MTM businesses, I would love to find an authentic, knowledgable tailor with a unique style who is not afraid discussing technical details and who will give his honest opinion that I know I can rely on.

#4 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

Are you sure a shirtmaker would want that kind of interference if it isn't an apprentice. All that chit chat is just going to slow him down in a process that is already time-hungry.

Oh well, each to their own.

• LouisXIV likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#5 LouisXIV

LouisXIV

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

I believe a well educated,satisfied and therefore loyal customer is very desirable for a business.

I acknowledge though that a new customer who is time demanding represents an expense for a tailoring business.

If the customer takes a lot of your time and will not return after an initial order, you will be at a loss.

I am willing to compensate for it by paying extra for the service every time it is needed.

Of course I do understand my request will not strike everyone as desirable, but I just wanted to give it a try.

I am thankful for your honest opinion.

#6 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

One idea for a starting point to your learning about tailored shirts; David Coffin wrote a book called Shirtmaking.

Maybe others have ideas for shirt makers in Germany; but I thought you might like to know about Pamela Enry (even though she is in the U.S.)  If you scroll down on her blog, you'll see she does custom Shirtmaking for men.

I also learned about this tailor this week in NY.  Just another interesting website to read.

And then there is Kevin Koch in Indiana.

Just some links for interest.

Edited by cperry, 22 February 2015 - 08:25 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#7 DANISH

DANISH

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:garment technics

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

i am danish from india . I can make your MTM shirt patterns. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users