#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

This link will take you to the latest post on the Anderson & Sheppard's apprentices' blog, About the Notebook. One apprentice shared his experiences in preparing for the Golden Shears, an annual competition for Savile Row apprentices and tailoring students. I never realized before that there was something called a "Plus two".  I'd only heard of "Plus fours" and had no idea whence the term came.  Wikipedia indicates that "Plus sixes" and "Plus eights" also exist.

I'm sure there's a joke about a Plus +1 and Plus two - eight in there somewhere. :-)

I looked up the competition to check who could compete in it and happened upon this 2009 announcement with a photo of Rory Duffy, a forum member.

Edited by tailleuse, 24 March 2015 - 05:37 AM.

• ChiTownTailor likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for posting this, Tailleuse.  Very nice to read about Ashleigh's efforts in participating in the Golden Shears contest.  Having grown up in the midst of the automobile industry in Michigan, I enjoyed reading about her theme, as well as the plus-fours (and more).  Love the automotive lining, too!  She did a nice job sharing her experience.  I hope she keeps at it!  Also neat to see the post regarding forum member Rory Duffy. 

• tailleuse and ChiTownTailor like this

#3 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

Yes, what's our Irish friend up to these days? - havn't heard from him in a while...

Miss his videos!

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 24 March 2015 - 08:04 AM.

• tailleuse likes this
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

#4 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

Somewhere deep in the professional fora there are drafts for plus 8's, I seem to remember.

• tailleuse and cperry like this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

Thank you for posting this, Tailleuse.  Very nice to read about Ashleigh's efforts in participating in the Golden Shears contest.  Having grown up in the midst of the automobile industry in Michigan, I enjoyed reading about her theme, as well as the plus-fours (and more).  Love the automotive lining, too!  She did a nice job sharing her experience.  I hope she keeps at it!  Also neat to see the post regarding forum member Rory Duffy. 

cperry:  So glad you liked it. I believe this is the third year they've had a post about someone who entered the competition. I assume Ashleigh's planning on making tailoring her career.  She's an apprentice at a prestigious tailoring establishment that probably has its pick of talented tailoring students. I imagine she's already invested at least a few years learning the basics before even starting there.

Yes, what's our Irish friend up to these days? - havn't heard from him in a while...

Miss his videos!

Rory's videos were great. :-)

Somewhere deep in the professional fora there are drafts for plus 8's, I seem to remember.

I had no idea that the number referred to the inches below the knee.  To my American eye, plus 4s conjure up caricatures of wealthy guys in 1930s screwball comedies, but my eye is slowly being retrained. Wikipedia had a link to an article about a hip-hop artist who in 2008 designed a line that included plus 4s and they looked good. I haven't been exposed to much menswear, much less really quality tailoriing, and my taste is fairly conservative.  So I like reading posts in which people who are well trained push the style envelope. They've done research, they have really good skills, and they're usually coached by senior people who supply an element of restraint when needed.

• cperry likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#6 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

Every time I see pictures of this contest I wonder if they ever see the model before they start to make their outfits.

The fit is often poor, which makes the craftsmanship less obvious.

• tailleuse and ChiTownTailor like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#7 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

Can't get the plus 4/8 out of my head.  P G Wodehouse wrote a great golfing comedy about some "prismatic plus 4s that caused a huge irritation at the golf club.

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#8 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

2+2 = 4" below the knee - 4+4 = 8" below the knee 8+8 = 16" below the knee and so on.

• ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#9 Cbeck

Cbeck

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

They have a brief idea of the model, but I've been told they have tend to just use a block and don't really get a chance to fit it repeatedly 

• tailleuse and cperry like this

#10 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:11 AM

I appreciated how she described being quite tired afterwards.  I think it's good for people to understand the effort that goes into clothing. 

• tailleuse likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Savile Row, Golden Shears, Apprentices, Plus Two, Anderson & Sheppard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users