Photo

A Dutch Tailor on Handwork

handwork hand tailoring machine tailoring Ruben Bakker Tailoring in the Netherlands

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#55 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:01 AM

You know I tried that flat-fell foot (after reading your book as it happens) and I just could't work with it. It's possible I just didn't persevere enough. They're a real nuisance to feed into.

I'm surprised to hear that, but it's not an unusual response, I guess. I've certainly heard and read lots of comments about how folks don't like them or think they're not justified. It always seems, though, if I have a chance to look more closely at what they're doing, that they're using the ¼-in or 8mm foot, and wanting to make that wide a stitch...which is perfectly easy to do without a foot, and as I said above, doesn't often feed as smoothly, unless the fabric is heavier as well.

Were you using a 4mm/ ⅛-in foot/seam? I find them quite simple to load up and since they're only folding, not rolling, much easier to manage than rolled hemmers. But I WAS motivated; I was certain I'd found the Holy Grail of my how-to-make-a-REAL-shirt quest, so I wan't likely to give up on it!

#56 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'd have to find it and measure it; I've not even looked at it since. I'm willing to give it another go because making flat-felled seams by hand is quite time-consuming, but I'd like to use a faster method for pyjamas. For shirts it's less of an issue, like I said I'm a rank novice.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users