• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

You can be lucky occasionally, I have not owned a decent overcoat since I was a kid when my grandparents used to buy us (all 3 of us) scottish herringbone overcoats for the winter time. Recently I was talking to a dressmaker I know while she was sorting out clothing that she had on a storeroom at home and among the bits she unpacked was her husband's old Burberry over coat. Seemed he had not work in for the last 20 years or so so I tried it on and it was a good fit, sleeves long enough etc ... so I asked her to ask him if he would part with it.

Went past her place yesterday and asked her and he wanted $100.00 AU for it so I am now the proud owner of a 30 or so year old Burberry overcoat. Pure wool and made in England, plain front with recessed buttons, no belt loops, side pockets and in a light brown colour. Lining is in good nick and about the only sign of wear is a slight discolouring around the collar. Was not game to try and iron out the crumpling so I took it to the tailor I know at my local shopping centre and he is going to send it to a mate of his to properly dry clean and press it.

I may never be fashionable but I will at least be warm.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#2 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

A photo would be great Hutch :)

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#3 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

I will do that when I get it back.

• tailleuse likes this

#4 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

Reminds me of what could only be called a Burberry "Great Coat" I found in a thrift shop in the late 70s, pure wool herringbone tweed overall pale brown but liberally speckled with multi-colored donegal-like flecks, gigantic shoulders, weighted at least 20lbs, half-lined with deep flannel double-entry pockets, must have been from the 50s. I wore it fearlessly, but it was pretty much always too warm, even in true winter. It died ignominiously in a moldy basement a few years later:( Mourned forever...

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:41 PM

You can be lucky occasionally... .

Congratulations.  As Schneiderfrei said, you should post a photo when you get it back.

Many years ago, I bought a Burberry trench coat with the wool liner and collar. I had wanted one for a long time and they even started making them in Petite sizes.  But it never fit me well. I had the belt carriers raised, but that didn't help. In truth, a standard trench overwhelms me.  I can't remember what happened to it.

Edited by tailleuse, 06 May 2015 - 03:45 PM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#6 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

Speaking of overcoats!  https://youtu.be/vqCEW95qgLI

• tailleuse likes this

#7 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

I just got it back from the tailor today, he sent it to a personal friend of his that had the right equipment to clean and press it to get the wrinkling out of it from being stored in a plastic bag for some years. The only person I know who still knows who Peapes were is a friend of mine in the high end of his 70s and the rough guess is the coat is at least 40 years old. It has come up very well for a garment of that age.

burberry1.jpg

burberry2.jpg

burberry3.jpg

• tailleuse likes this

#8 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hello Hutch48,

Nice Burberry overcoat, I have not worked on one of those in over twenty years.  They were always well made and very nice coats.  Is it a wool gabardine?  How heavy is it?

Kind regards,

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#9 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

Is it a wool gabardine?  How heavy is it?

Yes and yes. This is why I was not willing to risk messing it up trying to iron it.

• tailleuse likes this

#10 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

A friend of mine found me an old wooden coat hanger that was designed for jackets and coats that angled the two sides forward which better fits the shape of the trench coat without stretching the shoulders.

• tailleuse likes this

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

A friend of mine found me an old wooden coat hanger that was designed for jackets and coats that angled the two sides forward which better fits the shape of the trench coat without stretching the shoulders.

I have a couple of hangers like that. I never understood the reason for the shape.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#12 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Hello Hutch

Nice photos!  You will have to get yourself a trilby now.  :yes:

Edited by MANSIE WAUCH, 13 May 2015 - 06:32 AM.

• cperry likes this

#13 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

That is a nice-looking jacket, Hutch... Wikipedia has a little info and pictures of the trilby hat and its history. Wow, it's sometimes made of rabbit wool felt....

#14 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

Certainly a trilby! And a pipe . . .of course . . . newspaper under the arm?

Love the coat.

• cperry likes this

Shell made out of gold

#15 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

Is the coat waterproof (or perhaps shower-proof)? I have a black 1960s coat made from a similar twilled gabardine and I thought it would flounder in the rain, but the rain rolls off it. I wonder if they treated the cloth.

• cperry likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#16 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

I think I will have to stick with my Akubra, I only wear hats in the summer so I don't get my head cooked and while the colour match is good, I doubt the two go together all that well. I tend to like classic items as they are already out of fashion and thus never age any further. I get the impression that you would look like the old fella in Minder (old BBC series) wearing a Trilby.  :Big Grin:

• cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#17 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:40 AM

I believe you guessed right :)

Shell made out of gold

#18 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

I went into the city today to try and get a trilby hat as my old Akubra is only suited for casual or country dress. Went to David Jones after trying to make sense to a girl on the phone who's ethnic origin prevented her from saying TRIBLY (after spelling it for her) only to find they did not have a range of sizes. Tried Myers and it was worse so I went to the Strand Hatter in the Strand Arcade and bought an Akubra in a style called "Bogart" with a choice of black or charcoal (i picked the latter).

http://www.akubra.com.au/fashion.html

Its a nice enough hat, fits well and probably looks OK but I suspect you could get a job as an extra if there is ever another version of Eliot Ness and the Untouchables as it has that G man look.  :yes:

It cost me $190.00 AU which is expensive but with my old Akubra being 20 years old and still in reasonable nick, its probably good value in the long term.

Edited by hutch48, 29 July 2015 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users