#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:22 AM

Blog post about making pockets and flaps. Some nice information about the use of everyday objects as tools and how to press.  The original Cabrera book also provides instructions for drawing a flap.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

Bodkin tip: Get a big plastic knitting needle and cut it to size. If you want sharper points use sandpaper or a blade to shape it. You might also square the "body" so it doesn't roll.

41FbLbT2k3L.jpg

• tailleuse, Schneiderfrei and creatieve mie like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

Bodkin tip: Get a big plastic knitting needle and cut it to size. If you want sharper points use sandpaper or a blade to shape it. You might also square the "body" so it doesn't roll.

41FbLbT2k3L.jpg

The bodkin and knitting needle hack are good to know.  I usually use a bamboo point turner. It has edges and doesn't roll.  Some teachers I've had think it's great; others say there's too much risk of poking a hole in the corner. The one I have isn't overly sharp and I'm careful.  But maybe I should look for a knitting needle. I don't know if it's the tailoring way, but I also sometimes pull out corners with a needle and thread by taking a stitch through the seam allowance and giving the thread a light tug.

Edited by tailleuse, 20 May 2015 - 04:24 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anderson & Sheppard, pocket construction, Savile Row methods, pocket flaps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users