Photo

Savile Row Apprentice Prepares Presentation for her SRB Diploma

Savile Row tailoring training Savile Row Bespoke Diploma Newham College Anderson & Sheppard tailoring apprenticeships

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Interesting post by a young woman who's worked at Anderson & Sheppard for three years. She's collecting samples of her work to be evaluated by the body who award Savile Row Bespoke (SRB) diplomas.  From other posts she's contributed I can see that before her apprenticeship she earned a degree in fashion design, then did a tailoring course (or program) at Newham College, which seems to send a fair number of apprentices to SR.  Then I assume she worked at least 8 hours a day nearly every day for three years at A & S. She started her apprenticeship not having made a jacket.

• creatieve mie likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

I noticed she has put a buttonhole in the right lapel of the jacket. So she intends to wear it herself?

The best of luck in future for her, well deserved from the look of the jacket.

• tailleuse, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#3 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

Its good to see a youngster do this much work and I hope she succeeds in her diploma. Must be a sign of age but I remember people in their apprenticeships actually bothering to learn a massive amount of things and being really good at what they do. A very famous London gunsmith Joseph Manton was known to stay back after work and work late into the night to fix all the mistakes that the kids had made during the day and its pretty much the case that if you have this dedication, you will produce fine things but unless you have it, you will only shovel out rubbish.

Over the last 30 years or so craftsmanship like this is part of a dying breed yet of late there seems to be a revival of highly skilled people so there is a chance that genuine craftsmanship will survive, youngsters like this are very encouraging.

• MANSIE WAUCH, tailleuse, cperry and 1 other like this

#4 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

I noticed she has put a buttonhole in the right lapel of the jacket. So she intends to wear it herself?

The best of luck in future for her, well deserved from the look of the jacket.

Mansie,

She says that the blue jacket was the first jacket she made for herself.

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Its good to see a youngster do this much work and I hope she succeeds in her diploma. Must be a sign of age but I remember people in their apprenticeships actually bothering to learn a massive amount of things and being really good at what they do. A very famous London gunsmith Joseph Manton was known to stay back after work and work late into the night to fix all the mistakes that the kids had made during the day and its pretty much the case that if you have this dedication, you will produce fine things but unless you have it, you will only shovel out rubbish.

Over the last 30 years or so craftsmanship like this is part of a dying breed yet of late there seems to be a revival of highly skilled people so there is a chance that genuine craftsmanship will survive, youngsters like this are very encouraging.

hutch48:

I posted the link to the entry because it's fascinating to learn how people around the world are trained nowadays and also to demonstrate how much work and time are involved.

Edited by tailleuse, 17 June 2015 - 04:13 AM.

• cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Savile Row, tailoring training, Savile Row Bespoke Diploma, Newham College, Anderson & Sheppard, tailoring apprenticeships

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users